• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I'll sell you my Daum elephant.

To fuel the fire:
The way Chris dresses it is really easy to look bad and really hard to look good. He looks good.
The way that "other" people who criticize him might dress do so in a manner that is really easy to look good and really hard to look bad.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
These past few days in the Streetwear forum have made for some seriously entertaining reading
lurker[1].gif

everyone's jeans are too tight and ball crushing pain is causing all this angst.

Nigs are supposed to size down 1 or 2, not 5

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Who-I've seen the "average college kid" style look pretty decent on some guys just as i've seen the heroin chic, and urban streetwear looks worn well by people who enjoy that aesthetic. However, the quotes that you so thoughtfully hunted down to hastily and poorly prove some point to make you seem more open minded don't fit those worn well looks i've seen. It's one thing to be completely comfortable in a style and it actually look good on you and suit you, but it's another to actually fail at a certain aesthetic. Just as people can pull off the stereotype goth ninja look well, they can also fail at it and look like a fashion victim. Same goes for the western/americana look, urban streetwear and vegan/heroin addict look.

I know you're trying to prove a point here, but taking it as far as you are doing and not really leaving any room for being able to critique anyone doesn't really make your mission look all that fruitful. Obviously, i don't think that no one is able to critique chris's style and if they do they're just boring. It was more the "lol goth ninja, skinny kid" stuff. The random striped polo, baggy jeans and cross trainers look that is common among college kids isn't a "style" but more a lack of effort so i really don't think that quote of mine is quite valid.

The other quote isn't hating on an aesthetic that is different to me either. It was simply the fact that the person seemed to not be executing the style he was going for and that it was rather unflattering on him figure wise. Jokes were made, but semi-helpful advice was also given.

I understand very well the argument you are trying to make, but i believe if you are going to make it, you should put a bit more effort into it besides the standard "you hating on mall style is the same as me hating on BoO, NDG, APC style" argument with no actual nuances or grey area but simply a "let's all get a long and "everyone's fit looks good" vibe to it.

I agree with socal though and it's a rather interesting point. I'm not going to pretend that i don't dress rather boring. There's really no room for me to fail if i have decent fitting jeans and tshirts, solid non-offensive shoes, decent fitting cardigan/hoodie and a few western pieces.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
everyone's jeans are too tight and ball crushing pain is causing all this angst. Nigs are supposed to size down 1 or 2, not 5
laugh.gif
Crushed balls can make anyone's temper flare.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Here's the thing: there's a difference between someone pursuing an aesthetic that you don't like and nailing it, and someone who just can't hit the mark they're apparently aiming for. They're subject to different types of criticism. In the latter case, you can pretty much say, "sorry, looks like ****. (A) is too baggy, (B) is too tight, blah blah blah." That's what 90% of the WAYW criticism is, actually. It's clear where the poster is aiming, it's just that he hasn't yet found his range. Chris, however, consistently hits his mark. At that point, if you have a problem with the aesthetic itself, feel free to bring it up--the "gothninja" thread that I believe Fuuma linked earlier is a perfect example. In fact, that was a great thread. So those of you who don't like the way Chris dresses, is it because you don't like the aesthetic (in which case a number of the critiques here have been totally off-base), or is it because you think he doesn't pull off the aesthetic well enough? EDIT: Busy server.
frown.gif
Chrono already alluded to a lot of this.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
My point was that certain critiques here are considered humourous (A&F) while others are considered inflamatory and hateful, repectfully to Chris. Both are going by the numbers in an A&F or AnnD uniform but because it doesn't suit our asethetic, one is teased while the other is praised.

Two sides of the coin when we're on the same team. Your choice to call another member's style "dreadfully boring" was poor and was not a critique in the slightest, but at least you apologized for your diction.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My point was that certain critiques here are considered humourous (A&F) while others are considered inflamatory and hateful, repectfully to Chris.

No Mom, everyone makes fun of the Poobli kids. Even I do! I just hate them SO MUCH.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
No Mom, everyone makes fun of the Poobli kids. Even I do! I just hate them SO MUCH.
Backlash at your old self? Maybe you need to talk to Doc Brown. But hurry. The photo's faaaddiiinnnggg....

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Again, i belive the A&F humorous approach is more about a lack of style effort. I don't really think A&F/AE/Hollister really try to do much besides sell their clothes to people rather than trying to make something fashionable. I just get a "i bet if we do this, they'll eat it up" kinda vibe moreso than AnnD, Dior, W&H, MJK, BoO, etc... Yes there is business in all brands so please don't bring that up, but i think you know what i mean. I still do not like the precedent set that makes everything "different" un touchable. I do belive on this forum, there have been actual discussions of the A&F aesthetic and where it fails and where it succeeds. I think there is actual subtext to the making fun of A&F/AE stuff than there is making fun of a "relatively" more fashionable aesthetic that is merely different. It was probably a mistake to say that chris's style is completely original because as the painfully obvious PC police chimed in "no one is completely original and everything has been influenced and done before". I think for that style though, chris does very well. For the style A&F tries to achieve (casual luxury is their motto), i believe most of their patrons(and the brand for the most part) do not fully capture the fashionable side of that aesthetic. I already explained that i wasn't necessarily talking about kronik's style but moreso his attitude. I still understand the argument you are making, however, i don't think it has a fruitful end nor is it being argued very well. I'm probably going downtown to the farmer's market to hear my friend play some music today. I'm going to run into all kinds of poorly executed styles, but i'll be sure not to judge because it's just me being narrow minded and hypocritical. For realizies though, it's going to be hot as hell out there and i'm going to have some mad krispy sweaty style. I just hope my gelato doesn't melt too quickly.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My point was that certain critiques here are considered humourous (A&F) while others are considered inflamatory and hateful, repectfully to Chris. Both are going by the numbers in an A&F or AnnD uniform but because it doesn't suit our asethetic, one is teased while the other is praised.

Two sides of the coin when we're on the same team. Your choice to call another member's style "dreadfully boring" was poor and was not a critique in the slightest, but at least you apologized for your diction.

Are you actually saying that all aesthetic choices are equal, because I'm pretty sure you realize that a nice painting of dogs playing poker is not on the same level as a Rembrandt. Reaching the goal you set for yourself is one thing, but the goal to be reached should also be taken into consideration. It's also important to realize that A&F is a brand and could possibly fail on all accounts to pursue a style that we'll call indolent southern streetwear, that someone in here or elsewhere could, in all probability, pull off very well.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I dont care for Chris' style, but I'm not one to criticise over it. If he likes it and can rock it more power to him. I'm actually a little lost on how this discussion has gone on so long.

Hence my
spam[1].gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Personally I dont care for Chris' style, but I'm not one to criticise over it. If he likes it and can rock it more power to him. I'm actually a little lost on how this discussion has gone on so long. Hence my
spam[1].gif

Some people are sick of the people that are
worship.gif
ing his fits just b/c the clothes are expensive. Some people generally like the fits and are offended at the criticism from others. Some people (like me) just don't give a ****.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think an issue with some people is their own lack of esteem/confidence in going out there and taking the chance of wearing something that in the PHYSICAL world can cause people to give you a funny look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads