• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders v. Hickey Style

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I guess all the neo-trads are dopeheads
Seriously, I wonder what their design dept had i mind with the cannibus motifs???

They also have a few camo patterned pieces that are quite awful. These are my only complaints about Hickey Style, but are serious enough that I would never buy anything from them because of it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I guess all the neo-trads are dopeheads

Seriously, I wonder what their design dept had i mind with the cannibus motifs???

"dooooood, this kronik is the shiznizzy....let's put weed on all our buttons, yea man, that would ruuuuule"

other than the weed ****, the normal gear is pretty damn nice.

Yeah, I'm mystified as to who thought this would be a good idea. Their collection looks modeled for a certain clientele that look to dress a tad more stylish than the avg pot-smoking UO consumer who would buy that "I HEMP NY" sweater (on cashmere? What the ****?) to wear underneath their "I'd Hit That" tee.

I'll take your word that Hickey's nice, but why do they seem to be selling to the coked-out rich kid crowd?

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jason, I hate you for linking the Hickey website. There is so much stuff there I'm going to buy. I hate hate hate you.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the vintage oxfords from Hickey, with the full-placket, not the 3/4 popover placket, and the fit is pretty nice on the medium. The fabric is thick, I'd like it to soften a little, hopefully after some washes, but for $50 or so it is a nice shirt.

grilledcheese

Reaction score
I too bought the vintage oxford on sale during this recent round of sales. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised with the fit of the shirt, and its overall quality. The buttons are plastic (but nice plastic) and the fabric is very nice and thick--certainly a bit too thick for this time of year unfortunately. This is sort of a dress/casual hybrid shirt for me, as for true dress shirts I'm probably more of a MC type of guy in that I really like Barba and Lorenzini, sometimes RLPL. This shirt is not on that level, nor is it intended to be. But I will say that it compares favorably to the Band of Outsiders shirts that I tried on today from the new collection. Even though I find something appealing about the BoO schema, there is no possible way I'd ever let myself drop 220 balls for a shirt like that. The cut is tremendous, details are intriguing, but there's just not enough there for $220, I'm sorry. Furthermore, as GS noted, depending on your frame, BoO shirts may not be tuckable--a drawback that the Hickey avoids. In summary, I like BoO, but I find it to be too much style, too little substance--especially at their price point. Hickey's marketing is so lame that it causes homicidal ideations--but some of their pieces are really nice at their ridiculous sale prices. I'm definitely going to check out their sweater sales come winter.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the oxford is also sitting in my closet, awaiting a chance to be worn, since it's so damn humid here I can't wear it. It's an interesting shirt...one reason I like it is because it's different than other oxford shirts that I have BECAUSE the fabric is so thick. I have a J. Crew oxford that I like, it has a nice thinner fabric, and I'm going to have it tailored so that it sits more comfortably when untucked, but I'm a big fan of button-ups in any occasion (my work attire is...whatever I want, so I like to go with polos and button ups and jeans) so having variety makes me happy.

I might try one of their dress shirts that are currently on sale, but I'm also leaning toward saving the $60.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like Bamford and Sons. The exclusive retailer in the U.S. is Bergdorf Goodman (not sure if that means outside of NY that it is in Neiman Marcus as well).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yes the Hickey oxford is really thick fabric, which is a selling point for me.

GrilledCheese, good point about BoO pricepoint....while I love their line, I think it's just too expensive for what it is. The fit is great and all but fit doesnt cost money to produce as proven by the fit of some HM shirts. Alternatively, I can take a blousy Brooks OCBD and spend $20 to get it tailored to fit just like a BoO shirt. But BoO on sale is a great purchase (as is Hickey)

BoO has a certain aura around it that makes it just seem really cool. I think it's because they're "taking back" ivy league/trad away from the stodgy geezer wear that it's commonly associated with and throwing it back to a younger/hipper buyer, which the ivy league style originally was associated with....a younger/hipper set back in the late 50s/early 60s when jazz was at its coolest and ivy league clothing was de rigeur

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Jason, I hate you for linking the Hickey website. There is so much stuff there I'm going to buy. I hate hate hate you.

if you're lucky everything in your size will be sold out
lol8[1].gif

XoXo

Brian SD

Reaction score
if you're lucky everything in your size will be sold out
lol8[1].gif

XoXo

almost everything, but I'm about to transfer and drop $350 or so. which is crazy cheap considering how many ties and shirts i'm getting.

ineffable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I like Bamford and Sons. The exclusive retailer in the U.S. is Bergdorf Goodman (not sure if that means outside of NY that it is in Neiman Marcus as well).

Do you have any of their pieces by any chance? I bought a pair of tweed pants and they're pretty much perfect, but I'm not so sure about the quality.. And at the price, I'd like to get a feel for the quality before i buy anything else. I really like the aesthetic though.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoot me, but I think these are cool (well, they're typically items that lose attraction if they become too common, a bit like the skull-and-bones motifs that were everywhere suddenly.):
PAAAAAEADFINMEEH.jpg

bsyde82

Reaction score
If i wear a size small in J.crew shirts and steven alan (although steven alan smalls are a tad snug, considering movin up to medium), what size would I wear in hickey shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads