Band of Outsiders v. Hickey Style

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jul 29, 2007.

1. robin

robin Senior member

I guess all the neo-trads are dopeheads
    Seriously, I wonder what their design dept had i mind with the cannibus motifs???

They also have a few camo patterned pieces that are quite awful. These are my only complaints about Hickey Style, but are serious enough that I would never buy anything from them because of it.

2. ineffable

ineffable Senior member

I'd recommend checking out bamford and sons and gieves if you can find them anywhere.. Both are a little on the pricey side, but can usually be had on sale.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I guess all the neo-trads are dopeheads

Seriously, I wonder what their design dept had i mind with the cannibus motifs???

"dooooood, this kronik is the shiznizzy....let's put weed on all our buttons, yea man, that would ruuuuule"

other than the weed shit, the normal gear is pretty damn nice.

Yeah, I'm mystified as to who thought this would be a good idea. Their collection looks modeled for a certain clientele that look to dress a tad more stylish than the avg pot-smoking UO consumer who would buy that "I HEMP NY" sweater (on cashmere? What the fuck?) to wear underneath their "I'd Hit That" tee.

I'll take your word that Hickey's nice, but why do they seem to be selling to the coked-out rich kid crowd?

4. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I'd recommend checking out bamford and sons and gieves if you can find them anywhere.. Both are a little on the pricey side, but can usually be had on sale.
    Very digging the Gieves stuff... Anyone know of online sources?

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Jason, I hate you for linking the Hickey website. There is so much stuff there I'm going to buy. I hate hate hate you.

6. blank

blank Senior member

I have one of the vintage oxfords from Hickey, with the full-placket, not the 3/4 popover placket, and the fit is pretty nice on the medium. The fabric is thick, I'd like it to soften a little, hopefully after some washes, but for $50 or so it is a nice shirt.

7. grilledcheese

grilledcheese Senior member

I too bought the vintage oxford on sale during this recent round of sales. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised with the fit of the shirt, and its overall quality. The buttons are plastic (but nice plastic) and the fabric is very nice and thick--certainly a bit too thick for this time of year unfortunately. This is sort of a dress/casual hybrid shirt for me, as for true dress shirts I'm probably more of a MC type of guy in that I really like Barba and Lorenzini, sometimes RLPL. This shirt is not on that level, nor is it intended to be. But I will say that it compares favorably to the Band of Outsiders shirts that I tried on today from the new collection. Even though I find something appealing about the BoO schema, there is no possible way I'd ever let myself drop 220 balls for a shirt like that. The cut is tremendous, details are intriguing, but there's just not enough there for $220, I'm sorry. Furthermore, as GS noted, depending on your frame, BoO shirts may not be tuckable--a drawback that the Hickey avoids. In summary, I like BoO, but I find it to be too much style, too little substance--especially at their price point. Hickey's marketing is so lame that it causes homicidal ideations--but some of their pieces are really nice at their ridiculous sale prices. I'm definitely going to check out their sweater sales come winter.

8. blank

blank Senior member

Yes, the oxford is also sitting in my closet, awaiting a chance to be worn, since it's so damn humid here I can't wear it. It's an interesting shirt...one reason I like it is because it's different than other oxford shirts that I have BECAUSE the fabric is so thick. I have a J. Crew oxford that I like, it has a nice thinner fabric, and I'm going to have it tailored so that it sits more comfortably when untucked, but I'm a big fan of button-ups in any occasion (my work attire is...whatever I want, so I like to go with polos and button ups and jeans) so having variety makes me happy.

I might try one of their dress shirts that are currently on sale, but I'm also leaning toward saving the $60.

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I like Bamford and Sons. The exclusive retailer in the U.S. is Bergdorf Goodman (not sure if that means outside of NY that it is in Neiman Marcus as well).

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yes the Hickey oxford is really thick fabric, which is a selling point for me.

GrilledCheese, good point about BoO pricepoint....while I love their line, I think it's just too expensive for what it is. The fit is great and all but fit doesnt cost money to produce as proven by the fit of some HM shirts. Alternatively, I can take a blousy Brooks OCBD and spend $20 to get it tailored to fit just like a BoO shirt. But BoO on sale is a great purchase (as is Hickey)

BoO has a certain aura around it that makes it just seem really cool. I think it's because they're "taking back" ivy league/trad away from the stodgy geezer wear that it's commonly associated with and throwing it back to a younger/hipper buyer, which the ivy league style originally was associated with....a younger/hipper set back in the late 50s/early 60s when jazz was at its coolest and ivy league clothing was de rigeur

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Jason, I hate you for linking the Hickey website. There is so much stuff there I'm going to buy. I hate hate hate you.

if you're lucky everything in your size will be sold out [​IMG]

XoXo

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

if you're lucky everything in your size will be sold out [​IMG]

XoXo

almost everything, but I'm about to transfer and drop $350 or so. which is crazy cheap considering how many ties and shirts i'm getting.

13. ineffable

ineffable Senior member

I like Bamford and Sons. The exclusive retailer in the U.S. is Bergdorf Goodman (not sure if that means outside of NY that it is in Neiman Marcus as well).

Do you have any of their pieces by any chance? I bought a pair of tweed pants and they're pretty much perfect, but I'm not so sure about the quality.. And at the price, I'd like to get a feel for the quality before i buy anything else. I really like the aesthetic though.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Shoot me, but I think these are cool (well, they're typically items that lose attraction if they become too common, a bit like the skull-and-bones motifs that were everywhere suddenly.): [​IMG]

15. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

If i wear a size small in J.crew shirts and steven alan (although steven alan smalls are a tad snug, considering movin up to medium), what size would I wear in hickey shirts?