• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Shirt Sizing (Extra Slim Fit)

krspdla

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy 4 extra slim fit staple shirts from the Brooks Brothers semi-annual sale. Being in Canada, I can't just go to a local BB store to find my size. These'll be my first decent quality dress shirts, so I'm doing all I can to get the sizing right. Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding what measurements I'd need to get the right size?

Thanks

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, not sure I understand your question, but neck size and sleeve length, perhaps?
confused.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Careful, ESF did not fit me at all. Had to give the shirt to my father. Too narrow in the shoulders and too wide in the waist. And I am pretty standard size. I would recommend getting one to try first.

ethan

Reaction score
I was trying on a suit three weeks ago with their sample pull over extra slim shirt and it fits me perfectly. I have an athletic build body frame. I'm going to go pick up my suit right now and will try the ESF shirts again. I'll post an update later on tonight.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to guess by your measurements as even shirts with the same neck size but different sleeve lengths vary in the shoulder and waist width. If you have trouble accessing decent shirts where you are located, they are probably worth the gamble. Get your neck size and sleeve measurements right. If you have a small frame or are thin, my guess is that they will still be large on you but probably acceptable for under a jacket or BCD.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Careful, ESF did not fit me at all. Had to give the shirt to my father.

I gave mine to my son. It's his go-to interview shirt along with a BBBF that was also too narrow in the shoulders and chest for me.It would never have fit my Dad.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your body type? I'm slim/athletic and the ESF shirts are the only BB shirts that don't balloon for me.

Make sure you get the MIA ones. They're all-cotton. Don't bother with the non-iron ones, they're not as good quality and look weird, IMO.

I just went with my usual size (15"), and all was okay. Do you know your measurements? It's really the cut that's different. If you're a 15" you're a 15".

If you have big pecs steer clear, though. High arm holes and little extra room will mean you'll have some stretch. SF would be better in that case.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others already mentioned, ESF is great if you're slim or runner/swimmer athletic, but not if you're weightlifting athletic. The shoulders and underarms are relatively slim and it is almost a straight cut down from there, with some mild tapering.

They are a true slim fit. To give you an idea, I wear 38 in slim cut suits, and the ESF 15-32/33 or small fit me well currently. About a year ago when I was lifting weights regularly, I had to size up to 15.5-32/33 and a medium because of the shoulder/chest.

I own mostly dress shirts but recently tried their sportshirts and think they are the best cut/quality at this pricepoint. I never thought I would buy casual shirts from BB, but it worked out well. Their ESF are cut slimmer than anything you will find at typical "mall" stores like Banana or J. Crew.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Sportin makes a great point. So many people on here say "I'm 'athletic' build, and X fit me; if you have an 'athletic' build, X should fit you." When I think of athletes, I think of guys who play contact sports--guys with muscles. Some people also use the term to describe marathon runners or tennis players--guys with little bodyfat, but no muscles. Many "slim fit" items will look awful on a guy with muscles. I was ready to buy the BB Fitzgerald fit seersucker suit recently after trying on the jacket, but the pants were too big in the waist yet way too tight in the seat and thighs, and I doubt anyone would describe me as a big guy. Clearly cut for someone with no lower body curves to speak of.

wesny

Reaction score
If you have a very thin from with not much of a drop from shoulder to waist, the ESF will be great for you. I recently ordered two and while I don't consider myself to have an especially bulky frame, my shoulders were just too wide for the shirt.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athletic on Style Forum definitely means like runner or at at the most Federer type body. No way does it mean ripped in the T.O., Dwight Howard frame.

ethan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
What's your body type? I'm slim/athletic and the ESF shirts are the only BB shirts that don't balloon for me.

Make sure you get the MIA ones. They're all-cotton. Don't bother with the non-iron ones, they're not as good quality and look weird, IMO.

I just went with my usual size (15"), and all was okay. Do you know your measurements? It's really the cut that's different. If you're a 15" you're a 15".

If you have big pecs steer clear, though. High arm holes and little extra room will mean you'll have some stretch. SF would be better in that case.

What's MIA? Because I ordered non iron since they don't have ESF at their store.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in America (in the Garland Shirt Factory in NC). I don't care for the non-iron fabric either. Kind of shiny and chemically smooth.

ethan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Made in America (in the Garland Shirt Factory in NC). I don't care for the non-iron fabric either. Kind of shiny and chemically smooth.
I guess you don't have a choice if you order these? The classic ESF doesn't have that many fabric options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads