• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust, and River fans are not happy about it! Can someone explain how Argentine relegation works? I assumed it was a seasonal event - bottom 3 teams go down, but heard that it is cumulative based on 3 seasons
confused.gif

surfnbank

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Man U, I believe Liverpool is probably going to have the biggest upswing this year. I'd like to Arsenal spend some money and get some people but god knows if that will ever happen.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge. Injuries have so much effect on who is in the top 4 it could be any one of 6 including Liverpool and Spurs.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge. Injuries have so much effect on who is in the top 4 it could be any one of 6 including Liverpool and Spurs.
The worst thing about City making the top 4 is that they'll bring that bland soccer into the CL. Not looking forward to watching City's favorite "3 holding midfielders" formation in the CL. Interesting bit of stats concerning United's new 'keeper:
David de Gea conceded more goals to shots from outside the area than any goalkeeper in LigaBBVA last season.
I think he'll come good, but he's definitely going to have a trial by fire as United's run in to the new season isn't a cakewalk by any means.

jstupple19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Neither Pool nor Spurs will have an easy time getting into the CL, but if Spurs keep Modric and Bale while bolstering a few spots I think they have a good chance. Liverpool can play very well under Kenny Dalglish, even with their current squad, which has several glaring weak points - literally no real left back, two CBs with big weaknesses, and no wide players..

I agree that if Spurs keep Modric and Bale they'll have a shot, but they desperately need a new keeper and VdV needs to play much more consistently for them to challenge. As much as I hate to say it, I think 'Pool have a great shot if they play more consistently, but too many times last term, such as against Spurs at the end of the season, they let their standard of play drop too far. I think Arsenal will have the most trouble of the current top 4 in staying in the CL places, because I can't see them spending any money, and Fabregas is almost certainly out the door, along with Nasri. United have spent 50 million pounds on 75 million pounds-worth of players. Jones is one for the near future, but Young and de Gea are ready for the big time already. Very sad to see Hargreaves leave, as he was by far England's best player in 2006 and was shaping up to be miles better than Fletcher and Carrick.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, Van der Sar retired last month. de Gea is pretty good though.
Originally Posted by culverwood
I am not convinced by Mancini as a manager I do not think City will ever win the Premier League with him in charge.
I agree with that. I was so happy to see him leave Inter. He's really an arrogant guy.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
I was so happy to see him leave Inter...

I was even more surprised at how quickly Leonardo packed up shop and bailed over to PSG.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a bit unexpected after one year, but Leonardo always had good rapport with PSG and he's going there in his preferred role. I don't think he loves the sidelines. I think Leonardo fits in well there and I would actually love to see PSG (and St. Etienne...Allez Les Verts!!!) become a top-flight team again.

Also glad that Inter signed Gasperini; I think he'll do well there.

Mancini was quite disliked in Milan; I don't think Moratti or many others were unhappy to see him go.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else pumped for the Copa America tomorrow? Does it merit its own thread...?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I am!
That's always a great tournament; just reading the list of forwards (esp. ARG and BRA) is mind-boggling.
Plus, half these guys are on the market and I think will want to show their best.

I'm interested to watch Neymar and see if he's as good as the talk. Forlan says he's in even better shape than he was in WC2010. Sanchez is motivated. It should be good.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
That's always a great tournament; just reading the list of forwards (esp. ARG and BRA) is mind-boggling.

Yeah - I can't believe how stacked the Arg. offense is this year.

Messi
Tevez
Aguero
Higuain
Lavezzi
Di Maria
Milito

With all that talent, they'd better bring home some sort of trophy over the next 4-6 years.

Neymar I've only personally watched in a few Brazil friendlies and then throughout the Libertadores this year. He seems genuinely good - above his level in Brazil, but I think he'll turn into a Saviola-type upon reaching Europe. Especially if he opts for the Premiere League where his obvious diving won't be tolerated and the likes of Nemaja Vidic & co. will have a field day pushing around all 145 lbs of the rat-haired kid.

I will, though, be very interested to monitor the progress of this young, new-look Brazil. I became more and more impressed with Ganso's play throughout the Libertadores, and think he'll be a genuinely good European import. Silva and David Luiz could be a monster pairing at the back for years to come. I think Marcelo though warrants a place at LB rather than Andre Santos.

Yeah - I'm currently in Uruguay, so the whole world it seems is throwing hope behind Forlan, Suarez and Cavani. Could be a very lethal pairing up top for the Celestes.

Alexi Sanchez, though - don't know why he's valued at 50 million. Never saw him play for Udinense last year.

Too, for anyone who cares, all the Copa America games will be live-streamed for free at univisiondeportes.com. Don't know if they'll support replays though.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having soccer withdrawals lately so I'll be watching when I can. I'm looking forward to seeing that Argentina offense. If they could only field a defense, they might be able to give Spain a run for their money. (thinking long term here....I know its Copa America right now)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Yeah - I can't believe how stacked the Arg. offense is this year. Messi Tevez Aguero Higuain Lavezzi Di Maria Milito With all that talent, they'd better bring home some sort of trophy over the next 4-6 years.
And those are just the forwards! The midfield is very strong as well: Cambiasso, Mascherano, Biglia, Banega, Gago, Pastore. It looks like a battle between Argentina's attack and Brazil's defense. I am interested in the new Brazil as well, but besides the promise of Neymar up front the rest of the attack (Robinho, Fred, Pato) have not overly impressed lately. Their defense is rock solid as usual. Sanchez is very good, but I also think over-proced at 50M. Love Forlan, Cavani and Suárez (and Hernández). It would be great to see them play as well as last summer or better; they are such fun to watch. It would be great to see Colombia recapture the old flair again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads