• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarks

Reaction score
I was curious about Azzaro & was dropping by the city anyways, so I stopped by where Azzaro was supposed to be. No shop sign or anything to suggest I was in the right location. I was certain I'm in South Melb, that's for sure. Drop by a line to them revealed they were closed today due to something tragic that has happened at their store yesterday. I was in utter shock but I hope things do pick up for them, & hope they recover from this unfortunate event. Due to the sensitivity of the issue, I shall not reveal anything at this point.
Nevertheless, quite a bummer considered it was my first time there. I thought I was in the wrong location. Ah well.
I will try again some time.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For tobiasj and the other op shoppers here. One day you may score like this too!

Op shopper bags a valuable bonus
Megan Levy
June 21, 2011 - 2:31PM

A shopper who paid a few dollars for a second-hand bag at an opportunity shop on the Mornington Peninsula was stunned to find a stash of valuable jewellery inside.

Police are now appealing for the owner of the pink zip-up bag "” which was donated to the Rosebud Opportunity Shop early this year "” to come forward and claim it.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said a woman bought the bag from the Point Nepean Road shop on March 19, and later discovered the jewellery stash inside.

The collection includes many gold rings, a gold chain bracelet, watches, earrings and necklaces, and several of the items are believed to be valuable antiques.

The woman handed the bag in at Rosebud Police Station, and police are now appealing for the owner to come forward.

They will have to provide a description of the contents of the bag.

Anyone with information has been urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/op...#ixzz1Pteea9xn

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quarks
I was curious about Azzaro & was dropping by the city anyways, so I stopped by where Azzaro was supposed to be. No shop sign or anything to suggest I was in the right location. I was certain I'm in South Melb, that's for sure. Drop by a line to them revealed they were closed today due to something tragic that has happened at their store yesterday. I was in utter shock but I hope things do pick up for them, & hope they recover from this unfortunate event. Due to the sensitivity of the issue, I shall not reveal anything at this point.
Nevertheless, quite a bummer considered it was my first time there. I thought I was in the wrong location. Ah well.
I will try again some time.

Its hard to find at the best of times and is sometimes closed to the general public. I dropped by this afternoon and they told me the story too- shocking.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Further evidence that StyleForum is a small world, I dropped into Zara today and flicked through the suits. Was doing the canvas test on some of the 'soft tailoring' jackets...it seemed canvassed (at least in the chest to me). A few minutes later another gent was doing the pinch test as well, commenting that some Zara suits are apparently fully canvassed...although he couldn't tell if these were. Turns out he was a fellow SF member too (although he doesn't post much).
Don't think Zara manufactured their suits with floating interlining. Checked them around two years ago and they're fused while Massimo Dutti (Inditex group's higher line) have half canvassed suits.
Originally Posted by minch
That'd be me- small world indeed! Nice suit BTW PG- the flannel looked pretty warm too! After looking at a few Zara suits, I think at least one seems fully canvassed (3 layers in the chest, and below buttonhole). But the canvas used seems vey lightweight and looked wierd once on (maybe suit was folded in transit?). Plus the shoulder stitching on the jacket i tried on was puckered/misstitched. But they are made to a pricepoint, so given that they could still be a good deal if the sleeve was stitched better. Anyway. it was interesting to note that in the 4-5 suits i looked at, they were all made in different places- Portugal, Egypt, Morocco and Turkey. So just because one suit is canvassed, doesn't mean they all are.
I may be incorrect however having three layers below last button hole is not the best indication of a fully canvassed suit. Out of curiosity I checked Studio Italia suits last year and their suits have three layers also. That's when I learned that suit manufacturers can still deploy fusing though built the coat with three layers inside.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copped a herringbone cashmere sweater at the outlet for 160. Apparently it uses loro piana fabric, but I don't know if that means anything since the quality ranges on each fabric.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
Don't think Zara manufactured their suits with floating interlining. Checked them around two years ago and they're fused while Massimo Dutti (Inditex group's higher line) have half canvassed suits.

A little googling reveals that Zara did for a very short time produce a line of suits called Zara Sastreria Artesanal with full canvas, and working cuffs at a slight premium but still very reasonably priced. That was years ago though.

Simon29

Reaction score
Hi fellow Aussies,

Been spending ages searching through all these posts and others - what a wealth of information here! Great for people new to this world like myself. I'd really appreciate any advice for my current situation.

I'm in the process of searching for my first tuxedo (single button, peak lapel), which I will be wearing to my wedding later this year but also want to keep to wear for years to come (I'll have a number of opportunities to wear it in coming years). I want to get something of real quality, that will last and that I can be proud of! I've been trying on off the rack items such as Canali, Zegna, Hugo, but I am yet to find one with a fit that suits my body shape. So I'm now leaning down the MTM or bespoke path. From what I've read, options for this are limited in Perth, so my options are to go to Melbourne, Sydney or Singapore (fiance is Singaporean so travel there fairly regularly).

I was wondering what a great quality, bespoke service will start from in the Eastern states? (obviously dependant upon materials, but a rough start). I've been quoted approx $2700aud for a bespoke tux from a very well received Singaporean tailor which involves 3-4 fittings and an 8-12wk timeline. Is this comparable to Australia? I don't mind paying for quality, but at the same time enjoy a good deal.

Cheers all

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Hmmm. Style tips from a renowned satirist who was an adherent of Dadaism.

How do we know he's not taking the piss?

I always assume he is. Though having seen him decked out, he seems to practice what he preaches.

Anyway, a football club in Melbourne yesterday announced their coaching panel and I was pleasantly surprised to see an all suit affair and no fat, half done up ties!

259952_347757969943_40982749943_1304536_4696708_n.jpg

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon29
Hi fellow Aussies,

Been spending ages searching through all these posts and others - what a wealth of information here! Great for people new to this world like myself. I'd really appreciate any advice for my current situation.

I'm in the process of searching for my first tuxedo (single button, peak lapel), which I will be wearing to my wedding later this year but also want to keep to wear for years to come (I'll have a number of opportunities to wear it in coming years). I want to get something of real quality, that will last and that I can be proud of! I've been trying on off the rack items such as Canali, Zegna, Hugo, but I am yet to find one with a fit that suits my body shape. So I'm now leaning down the MTM or bespoke path. From what I've read, options for this are limited in Perth, so my options are to go to Melbourne, Sydney or Singapore (fiance is Singaporean so travel there fairly regularly).

I was wondering what a great quality, bespoke service will start from in the Eastern states? (obviously dependant upon materials, but a rough start). I've been quoted approx $2700aud for a bespoke tux from a very well received Singaporean tailor which involves 3-4 fittings and an 8-12wk timeline. Is this comparable to Australia? I don't mind paying for quality, but at the same time enjoy a good deal.

Cheers all

My endorsement?

P Johnson Tailors in Sydney or Melbourne (google it); not a bespoke operation, but more than a mere made-to-measure outfit. Their suits are made in Holland. Turnaround time is estimated at 6 weeks, unless you're going the handmade option, in which case, it's about 8 weeks.

Prices are phemonenally reasonable: $1200-$1300 for a machine-made suit, and $1550 for a handmade suit.

Most important of all, Patrick is an excellent and very knowledgeable tailor who will go out of his way to fit you well. A talented artisan. I've done the much vaunted Zegna Su Misura, and even gone the bespoke route twice. NONE of their suits ever fit me as well as my one P Johnson handmade suit. Not. Even. One.

For visual examples, check out the 'P Johnson Tailor' Tumblr, or the 'Rugged Old Salt' Tumblr from around Feb to March when Ethan Newton was still working there. Or do a search on P Johnson in this forum. Lotsa good pics there.

Going to pick up my second suit today!
laugh.gif

Cheers
CEP

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon29
Hi fellow Aussies,

Cheers all

For around $2500 (depending on choice of cloth) you could get full bespoke with full floating canvas and horn buttons (if a regular suit) at Zink & Sons. Less than that if getting half canvassed. Exceptional value and all made on the premises on Oxford Street, Sydney.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will try guys... Promise!
smile.gif

But if you check out the P Johnson P Tumblr for way back in April, and you see a pic with the caption 'All on RN', that would be me in my first suit - a mid-gray Loro Piana PoW check, with a striped (sky blue stripes on a white ground) shirt and a brown Drakes grenadine tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads