• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Cities to Live in Starting a Career out of College

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Can't tell if you're joking or not.
laugh.gif

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
isn't it always chilly and really expensive?
San Fran - chilly, yes. Not so if you move a bit south into the peninsula. It is expensive to own a house but rentals are much better. Also, the local tech industry (assuming that's the industry you have a job in) does tend to pay higher / adjust to the cost of living. My philosophy is that for you 1st job you want to go and work in the city that has the most job opportunities in your sector. So tech - SF Bay Area; Biotech - Cambridge / Boston; Financial Service - NY, etc.

Hayato

Reaction score
I chose LA, having gone to school in San Diego.

Yes, it is very expensive to live here comfortably and difficult to find work right out of college. However, there is also almost every job market available here. I notice that those around me who live comfortably in LA, would be wealthy in many other states.

But that is the compromise I chose to make, because I like and enjoy what Los Angeles has to offer. I considered trying to start my career in New York, but that seemed like an even tougher nut to crack right out of school.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by austinite
Baltimore looked lovely in "The Wire"

Did we watch the same TV show?

Seriously, though, I've heard good things about Baltimore.

Boston/Cambridge is great, although you need a thick skin to get through the winter. Lots of students & recent graduates, plus some very affordable neighborhoods.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a recent graduate I'd probably head to Boston or Chicago. Both are expensive but still affordable for students/recent grads but they offer a lot of the things a young professional will be looking for. They're also both walkable so you can mostly ditch the car.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyday I wish I was somewhere other than super flat southeast Michigan. Give me a mountain or a desert or an ocean. I need some real topography!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads