• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Satisfaction (?)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies for the overly ponderous thread...but have any of you ever felt really satisfied with your wardrobe? Or is it just a constant sense of what you need next, or how you could upgrade?

I'm 30, I've had at least somewhat of an interest in clothes for the last 10 years, which has picked up lately, culminating in my joining SF. I've already spent more money on clothes than 99% of American men will spend in their entire lifetimes. There are many, many items I own that I love dearly and wear proudly. But I wouldn't say that I'm satisfied with what I've got - in some ways I just feel overwhelmed with the "next level" above - Armani Black Label suit? Isn't Kiton better? Kiton RTW suit? Why not get an Attolini MTM? Why not go bespoke?

Then once you're going bespoke, there are so many options for tailors and fabrics...the expense, in terms of both money and time spent contemplating all the options, is massive. Yet once you're aware of all the possibilities, it may be difficult to be satisfied with anything but perfection.

Is ignorance bliss? If you could eradicate your good taste and appreciation of high quality items and live happily in a $50 pair of khakis and a $30 polo for the rest of your life, would you do it? Is the happiness you get from your appreciation of your favorite items worth the trouble you take to maintain your wardrobe, consider ways of expanding or editing it, and the frustration you feel at not having everything?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
break this into paragraph form and your thread will get a lot more milage.

to answer your question, it depends on the day. sometimes i feel like i need all kinds of additions, others i feel i need nothing. however, i almost always want something

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
I think a good way to assess this is to write down off the top of your head what you really want at the moment. For me:

A pair of suede chukka boots
A pair of brogued/Veldtschoen country boots
A pair of tasseled loafers in dark tan/mahogany
New 3 button Cordings navy city suit + charcoal/pinstripe number
New two tone bengal stripe work shirt
A new pair of dark jeans
A pair of cotton twill trousers
A few new polo shirts
A new polo belt
A Lavenham husky jacket
Some knee length dress socks.
A new winter overcoat since the current one is battered beyond salvage.

I keep telling myself they are all I need to complete my wardrobe. However, I suspect that if I was to purchase all of them at once, I would always want something more. It's human nature.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is a good way to assess...my problem is that I'm still learning about clothing and style, such that I'm constantly uncovering new elements that seem necessary...and that's not even to mention things I just think are awesome and good deals and therefore spring for. For instance on your list, I didn't even know what a Veldtschoen boot is or a Lavenham puffy jacket. Maybe after a while I'll have a comprehensive enough knowledge that I can figure out exactly what I need, and know I won't need any more than that. Maybe I should not buy anything until that point, but...I have a feeling I'll constantly be finding new beautiful things that I'll want to incorporate.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actual Self Vs Ideal Self. The never ending battle.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am happy with what I have, but I will never be completely satisfied.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I was just having this conversation with my girlfriend at dinner tonight.

As a recent college grad I have found that I have a closet full of life stages. You can literally see the evolution of my style as you comb the hangers. Because I have sold, given away or thrown out so many things that 18 year old me loved but 23 year old me despises, I often get upset with myself for not realizing my personal style earlier and purchasing things that I could wear forever. It would have been nice if I made an effort towards quality and collection-building in college and high school, rather than snapping up every Burberry polo, pair of 7 jeans and Patagonia pullover that crossed my path.

While the current state of my wardrobe is definitely not too shabby, I know that over time I will evolve further and abandon things that are my go-tos today. I think the only guys out there 100% satisfied with their wardrobes and style are the guys that could give a **** about either. We're on SF for a reason.

The more you care about something the more closely you study it. And this obsessive studying (whether it be with clothes, women, of life in general) almost always uncovers flaws that, due to our passion, we desperately and inherently strive to address.

It's a never-ending sartorial dope game out there and we're all junkies. Now who can recommend a good dealer? I'm coming down from my last Cucinelli fix.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I am happy with what I have, but I will never be completely satisfied.

Are you happier after getting a new addition? Or do you always have the same level of unsatisfied happiness?

bourbon -
Would you rather be one of the 100% satisfied, clueless types?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
bourbon -
Would you rather be one of the 100% satisfied, clueless types?

This is an excellent question. Albeit one that I never thought would be posed on SF.

I honestly feel that I am in too deep at this point. I have seen things and thought thoughts that cannot be undone. There is no going back for me. It's like I have been in sartorial battle. I have the 1,000 yard stare.

All that being said it's hard for me to distance myself from my passion. I can't imagine myself not religiously checking tumblrs or immediately rating the ensembles of men I walk past on the way to work in the morning. It's just who I am.

If I didn't give a **** about having style or looking good I'd imagine I'd be forced to put my pursuit of perfection to use elsewhere. Perhaps with fixing cars or collecting stamps or being an alcoholic (something I often find myself equally engrossed in after I close my laptop).

For me it's boring to be content with your plight. To take things sitting down is the ultimate form of submission in life. If you have nothing you're passionate about then why bother waking up? There's a challenge in getting to even the lowest level of satisfaction. And even if the feeling is fleeting and I find myself stumbling upon areas that need improvement moments after I put on "the perfect sports coat" or don "the greatest pair of shoes ever", chasing the high that is being satisfied will always make my life worth living.

mlongano

Reaction score
Like many things in life it's the journey, not the destination.

Satisfaction is inherently a fleeting emotion...the development of your own personal style over long periods of time will affect your choices in clothing, as will your gradual aging over time. Eventually you will arrive at your own style of dress that stays with you for the long run. I am nearing 60 but still appreciate the suits I wore when I was 40.

Enjoy the ride!

tennisguru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
I was just having this conversation with my girlfriend at dinner tonight.

As a recent college grad I have found that I have a closet full of life stages. You can literally see the evolution of my style as you comb the hangers. Because I have sold, given away or thrown out so many things that 18 year old me loved but 23 year old me despises, I often get upset with myself for not realizing my personal style earlier and purchasing things that I could wear forever.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

Age is clearly a determining factor, for me anyway. As I near 30 I fond I'm much more inclined to wear a smart polo or a shirt with jeans and either boots or shoes than a t-shirt and cons! When I was in y early twenties I went to dingy provincial clubs and the Reading festival. Now I go to Wimbledon and the Polo! As life changes, so, necessarily I feel, does your style (wardrobe). Fortunately I've been working since I was fourteen, so I have always had reasonable disposable income to spend on nice clothes, I don't drink or smoke, so clothes and shoes are my vice! I still have many pieces from 10 years ago, which are in great shape today and I can still wear, but the 30 year old me wonders if I should!

Luckily I have an excellent shirt tailor, so when I look in wardrobe and think I need a few new shirts to replace my old t's, I have him on speed dial!!!

So,

Satisfied with wardrobe - yes. Will still add to it - of course!

Cheers

Ash

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I can always think of an item or two I'd love to add... but you know what, weirdly enough, I AM pretty much satisfied with the wardrobe I have.

I add maybe a suit or jacket every 6-12 months, and shirts/ties/etc is pretty much just replacing worn-out items or items I simply don't wear any more. My shoe selection has been relatively stable for a while now too. I think I have most of what I feel I want in order to have a wardrobe that interests me and that I enjoy wearing.

It's taken a while to get here, but I've enjoyed that process too. So yeah, I guess you could say I'm satisfied.

Of course, if someone wanted to buy me more stuff, I doubt I'd say no! But equally, I'd be quite specific about what I wanted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads