• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you objectively critique peoples style?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off my appologies to Spoo and PG, but you guys make for good examples.

I have noticed certain members get the same comments over and over. Spoo about using too many "tricks" in one outfit/being too flamboyant, PG about his shoulders and such, and others abound that I can not think of off hand.

My question is, when these types of comments are made is it because you truly feel these are objective issues with how these posters look. Or are you projecting how you want to look onto others.

Certainly there are MC no nos but there are also many many diferent ways to look good. So when you comment that so and so looks OK but could really look great if he did x,y and z, do you really think that to be true objectively? Maybe they look great in their own acceptable style and you just don't want them to dress that way, so you impose your style on them.

So be honest, how would you classify your criticism of others here.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
First off my appologies to Spoo and PG, but you guys make for good examples. I have noticed certain members get the same comments over and over. Spoo about using too many "tricks" in one outfit/being too flamboyant, PG about his shoulders and such, and others abound that I can not think of off hand. My question is, when these types of comments are made is it because you truly feel these are objective issues with how these posters look. Or are you projecting how you want to look onto others. Certainly there are MC no nos but there are also many many diferent ways to look good. So when you comment that so and so looks OK but could really look great if he did x,y and z, do you really think that to be true objectively? Maybe they look great in their own acceptable style and you just don't want them to dress that way, so you impose your style on them. So be honest, how would you classify your criticism of others here.
nonexistent

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
when i look at someones outfit here I judge based on my own opinions...not on what I wear. if that makes sense.

pretty much, im full of **** 60% of the time. the other 40%, im just drunk poasting.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My approach in the conservative business dress thread has been to base the critique on what I thought the poster was trying to achieve. I try to both compliment and chastise, and generally try to differentiate between what I thought would make the outfit work better technically and what I, personally, would prefer.

So, yeah, there's an inescapable element of arbitrariness to it. That's one reason I gave up on commenting in regular WAYW -- the styles became too disparate and there was too little common baseline for discussion.

In general, though, I do think the forum tends to acclimatize people to that which they would have once found outrageous, so they end up parading around in outfits they wouldn't have dreamed of wearing out of the house previously. First comes the orange trou and then maybe a ribbon belt and after that some blue calf shoes ... then they're being worn all at once without an appreciation for how they OTT it all might seem to others.

The flip side of that is that I left Andy's because it became so suffocatingly hidebound. I used to be an outspoken advocate for quirk and self-expression, thinking SF could be too po-faced, and it's a sign of how much the forum has changed that I've taken refuge in the conservative business dress thread. I do believe there's more than one way to dress well, but I also believe that most guys who really look good have trained their eye to the nuances of fit, texture and color that is the basis for what the traditionally minded might call good taste.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's half and half for me. There are certain objective issues like sizing or color/pattern combinations that just don't work. Others are subjective, like fit in the chest and waist or pant length. I usually give my opinion based on how I tailor my own clothes. It's usually assumed that a person's thoughts on someone else's fit are based on their own style.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to think "Would I like to wear that outfit" and after I have a second layer of soul searching...

In some cases , the OP can pull it off and I try to distance myself from my own point of view....

Ranger and Spoo are great examples of guys looking sometimes very good in their own way far away from my own aesthically canons.

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
First off my appologies to Spoo and PG, but you guys make for good examples.

I have noticed certain members get the same comments over and over. Spoo about using too many "tricks" in one outfit/being too flamboyant, PG about his shoulders and such, and others abound that I can not think of off hand.

My question is, when these types of comments are made is it because you truly feel these are objective issues with how these posters look. Or are you projecting how you want to look onto others.

Certainly there are MC no nos but there are also many many diferent ways to look good. So when you comment that so and so looks OK but could really look great if he did x,y and z, do you really think that to be true objectively? Maybe they look great in their own acceptable style and you just don't want them to dress that way, so you impose your style on them.

So be honest, how would you classify your criticism of others here.

Honestly? Generally they have a bad immature taste and seem inexperiened and are not from backgrounds where dressing comes natural to them. They're like actors who have to learn everything and are dressed by others and who if left to their own devices would look like what they really are rather than some image created for them. Taste is almost inbred beause it developed along side many other charateristics and the poseur always has something inccngruous about him that is easily spotted.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Pooter
Honestly? Generally they have a bad immature taste and seem inexperiened and are not from backgrounds where dressing comes natural to them. They're like actors who have to learn everything and are dressed by others and who if left to their own devices would look like what they really are rather than some image created for them. Taste is almost inbred beause it developed along side many other charateristics and the poseur always has something inccngruous about him that is easily spotted.
You must be a keen observer of human nature to make such profound statements about a few static pics of people on the internet, often without seeing their faces.
smile.gif
Quite contrary to that I think that taste is mostly an acquired ability dependent on the cultural bindings of your region. What you like is what you see. The exception to this is the general rule set of silhouette, proportion and color according to the nature of the human body and the colors of hair and complexion. Few people have a natural, quite unconscious access to that while most have to learn it over the years by example.

I think many critiques here get a bit stereotypical because they judge only the (occasionally cropped) pictures of outfits against their personal rule set - including groupthink - without the impressions of movement and personality of the wearers. That's fine as long as evident failure is involved. But if a flamboyant, extroverted man wears flamboyant clothes combinations which are intrinsically within the rule set of fit, proportion and color, it can make a really good overall impression in real life while a shy guy wearing the same clothes will look incongruous or even ridiculous to the observer.

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluesman528
You must be a keen observer of human nature to make such profound statements about a few static pics of people on the internet, often without seeing their faces.
smile.gif
Quite contrary to that I think that taste is mostly an acquired ability dependent on the cultural bindings of your region. What you like is what you see. The exception to this is the general rule set of silhouette, proportion and color according to the nature of the human body and the colors of hair and complexion. Few people have a natural, quite unconscious access to that while most have to learn it over the years by example.

I think many critiques here get a bit stereotypical because they judge only the (occasionally cropped) pictures of outfits against their personal rule set - including groupthink - without the impressions of movement and personality of the wearers. That's fine as long as evident failure is involved. But if a flamboyant, extroverted man wears flamboyant clothes combinations which are intrinsically within the rule set of fit, proportion and color, it can make a really good overall impression in real life while a shy guy wearing the same clothes will look incongruous or even ridiculous to the observer.

The question was about THIS forum and about what you see on THIS forum. OK?

And you obviously want to believe that someone can reach adulthood and then just learn everything they missed out on while growing up. Those millions of pieces of information and nuance they never learned. Perhaps a few people can but it's like learning a foreign language in your 20's rather than as a kid. You'll have an accent in 99.9% of the cases and just won't speak the language naturally like a person who was exposed to it as a kid.
I can atually just give you a few simple questions and pretty much tell a lot about you and your background. Things that you cannot learn from books.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

who the fack are you.

btw did you fail reading comprehension in school? the question was regarding critiquing in general, those posters mentioned were merely examples. though you didnt directly answer my question i think i have a good grasp of how you do your critiquing.

also doc thanks for you honest and always valuable input
fistbump.gif

Mr.Pooter

Reaction score
who the fack are you.

btw did you fail reading comprehension in school? the question was regarding critiquing in general, those posters mentioned were merely examples. though you didnt directly answer my question i think i have a good grasp of how you do your critiquing.

also doc thanks for you honest and always valuable input
fistbump.gif

You appear to be getting very upset over nothing like I touched some nerve in your childish self esteem. Just remember that you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You appear to be getting very upset over nothing like I touched some nerve in your childish self esteem. Just remember that I am a troll.

muuuch better. peace.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to avoid offering any critique for the most part. Generally when receiving it though, I try to put it in the context of those giving it. Because of that, I would say you can't partly because for the critique to be objective it would have to be received objectively, which just ain't going to happen.

I think there's an argument from Wittgenstein about something like this somewhere...

Oleg

Reaction score
The question was about THIS forum and about what you see on THIS forum. OK?

And you obviously want to believe that someone can reach adulthood and then just learn everything they missed out on while growing up. Those millions of pieces of information and nuance they never learned. Perhaps a few people can but it's like learning a foreign language in your 20's rather than as a kid. You'll have an accent in 99.9% of the cases and just won't speak the language naturally like a person who was exposed to it as a kid.
I can atually just give you a few simple questions and pretty much tell a lot about you and your background. Things that you cannot learn from books.

On a similar basis, I think we can all ascertain pretty much everything about your personality from your postings. Specifically, you're a love socket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads