1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can you objectively critique peoples style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, Jun 10, 2011.

1. either/or

either/or Senior member

I think there's an argument from Wittgenstein about something like this somewhere...
    -ahh, the Tractatus, 7 [​IMG]

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Some angry members, can't see past the fact that they dislike another poster. They'll hate whatever they wear. Their judgment is muddied by this.

Lear

It is human nature...

We find difficult to criticize our internet friends and too easy forgetting our foes sartorial qualities..

It is why we see terrible outfits being praised or very mildly criticized when others get slaughtered for far less...

3. Lear

Lear Senior member

True. However, it's the level of anger that baffles me, out of all proportion to the subject at hand. That's why I could never post my suit pics in WAYWRN. I'd like to imagine these posters are playing nasty; that in real life they're placid and polite. After all, it's only clothing [​IMG]

Lear

4. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

Fundamentally, the answer is largely now. There are some objectives, like collar or shirt sleeve lengths, and that one should not wear both braces and a belt, but many other things are so subjective and individual, and dependent on personality, body type, confidence, outlook, etc... I have seem some outfits posted that would look horrid on me, but on the wearer are absolutely amazing. My own style is influence heavily by a mixture of Victorian, Pre-War British, post war Corporate, 1980s yuppy, with a lot of influence by A SUITABLE WARDROBE. A look at things through this slant, and of course this effects my outlook. I am not a huge fan of flamboyant trousers: I prefer loud shirts.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

True. However, it's the level of anger that baffles me, out of all proportion to the subject at hand. That's why I could never post my suit pics in WAYWRN. I'd like to imagine these posters are playing nasty; that in real life they're placid and polite. After all, it's only clothing [​IMG]

Lear

If you post something , you're taking the risk to be bullied , criticized , praised and sometimes overpraised...

It is only worth it if you need reconition , to be adored or followed or to become a hate figure in certain clinical cases..

I prefer to enjoy my suits in my little circle and I must admit being puzzled by certain people's need to post oics of themselves all the time..

It is very difficult to be impartial because we are human after all and some people ethics , behaviours , views of the world are sometimes making them unbearable..

6. Mr.Pooter

Mr.Pooter Active Member

Lear

I think that it has more to do with the poster's insecurity and immaturity. Many of these angry boys are unsure of their own judgement and probably ashamed of their blue ollar bakgrounds which is why they beome all hot and bothered over something as trivial as clothes. They have pretentions above their station in life and mistake superficial appearance for the real thing. Let's face it, even the best clothes are relatively cheap(and practially nothing when used[​IMG] ) while it would be impossible to fake your house, furniture, artwork, yacht and cars etc This is why they are so emotionally attached to their silly opinions on clothes and get as hysterical as a female whenever someone says something that disturbs their cherished little delusions about themselves.

Now, watch the reaction to what I wrote beause you'll find it quite illuminating and you'll learn more about these poseurs from their response than from my short paragraph but don't expect anything rational beause it will be all about their "feelings" and inflated Egos.
    Watch the ad hominem attacks they'll begin with. Personally I just ignore people I think are fools and don't even care what anyone else thinks or says but just watch how upset these little boys get.

7. either/or

either/or Senior member

^^things are getting boring on the island?

muuuch better.

-yes.

8. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

I think that it has more to do with the poster's insecurity and immaturity. Many of these angry boys are unsure of their own judgement and probably ashamed of their blue ollar bakgrounds which is why they beome all hot and bothered over something as trivial as clothes. They have pretentions above their station in life and mistake superficial appearance for the real thing. Let's face it, even the best clothes are relatively cheap(and practially nothing when used[​IMG] ) while it would be impossible to fake your house, furniture, artwork, yacht and cars etc This is why they are so emotionally attached to their silly opinions on clothes and get as hysterical as a female whenever someone says something that disturbs their cherished little delusions about themselves.

Now, watch the reaction to what I wrote beause you'll find it quite illuminating and you'll learn more about these poseurs from their response than from my short paragraph but don't expect anything rational beause it will be all about their "feelings" and inflated Egos.
    Watch the ad hominem attacks they'll begin with. Personally I just ignore people I think are fools and don't even care what anyone else thinks or says but just watch how upset these little boys get.

So inclusion in Debrett's is a minimum criteria for expressing an opinion on clothes on an internet forum? A bit of perspective is needed in all things and clothes are just clothes and nothing to get angry about. On the other hand, the balls you spout is something to get angry about. Tit.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm very objective and blunt.

Stirs sensitive people up.

In real life or on the internet only ....

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Finally, a topic to comment on.

Yes, part of the problem is already having opinions about someone as a person. Other elements rightly noted were lack of exposure to a variety of styles and distorted perspective.

So other than critiquing on technical details, even well-dressed people aren't necessarily good at giving objective style criticism. First-impression, man-on-the-street+style expert is the most objective way. "You seem to be this kind of person (which has no impact on me personally, so I take no personal offense)" and "Details x, y, and z need adjusting." And (as a reply alluded to) even if the critique is meant as objective, it has to be worded carefully (perhaps made impersonal), to actually be helpful.

Some tips that can translate to style critiques, if anyone wants to make Style Forum a more useful place
    http://www.fmwriters.com/Visionback/...05/butidon.htm

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I have noticed certain members get the same comments over and over. Spoo about using too many "tricks" in one outfit/being too flamboyant, PG about his shoulders and such, and others abound that I can not think of off hand. My question is, when these types of comments are made is it because you truly feel these are objective issues with how these posters look. Or are you projecting how you want to look onto others.
    ***​
    So be honest, how would you classify your criticism of others here.

All criticism here is subjective. This is going to be my somewhat silly attempt to explain what I see going on here: I think much of the commenting is based around the certain cults of personality that worship Power Posters™ - any given outfit of one of these posters will get more attention than most other posters. this is due to any number of things: from fancy lifestyle shots, to expensive labels, to great online personalities, or simply amazing fits. Power Posters™ get a lot of comments. See, e.g., Vox, Spoo, PG, Niidawg, NYRanger, Woe, etc. Manton too, as least in the CBD thread. There are other posters who may post just as much as the Power Posters™, but simply don't have the same cult of personality, e.g. Orgetorix (well, until recently, where I think he's been getting alot of great feedback). Maybe they don't have awesome shots, or perhaps they're just not everyone's cup of tea. Power Posters™ will get more comments or criticism because of the volume of coments already about the outfits. More to talk about, more to disagree about, etc. Certain posters' styles are unique. They enjoy the way they dress, even if it is too frumpy or OTT for the masses. It's what makes this place great. So even if I think that Spoo or HF's fits occasionally suffer from pattern overload, it works for them. Would I wear Woe's fits? Heck no, and there's no way I could pull it off even if I tried. PG has great photos where he appears always natural in whatever he's wearing. And Vox has a yearly clothing budget that likely exceeds my gross income - but he invests in classically styled, elegant clothes rather than garish labelwhoring. We may all read Flusser and whatever else, but it's the applied knowledge and the diverse approaches to the application that make it interesting. Tl;dr - Q: Can you objectively critique peoples style? A: No. But that makes it interesting.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Well put, Lufty - I feel the same way.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Finally, a topic to comment on.

Yes, part of the problem is already having opinions about someone as a person. Other elements rightly noted were lack of exposure to a variety of styles and distorted perspective.

So other than critiquing on technical details, even well-dressed people aren't necessarily good at giving objective style criticism. First-impression, man-on-the-street+style expert is the most objective way. "You seem to be this kind of person (which has no impact on me personally, so I take no personal offense)" and "Details x, y, and z need adjusting." And (as a reply alluded to) even if the critique is meant as objective, it has to be worded carefully (perhaps made impersonal), to actually be helpful.

Some tips that can translate to style critiques, if anyone wants to make Style Forum a more useful place
    http://www.fmwriters.com/Visionback/...05/butidon.htm

wat? [​IMG]

All criticism here is subjective.

This is going to be my somewhat silly attempt to explain what I see going on here:

I think much of the commenting is based around the certain cults of personality that worship Power Postersâ„¢ - any given outfit of one of these posters will get more attention than most other posters. this is due to any number of things: from fancy lifestyle shots, to expensive labels, to great online personalities, or simply amazing fits.

Power Postersâ„¢ get a lot of comments. See, e.g., Vox, Spoo, PG, Niidawg, NYRanger, Woe, etc. Manton too, as least in the CBD thread.

There are other posters who may post just as much as the Power Postersâ„¢, but simply don't have the same cult of personality, e.g. Orgetorix (well, until recently, where I think he's been getting alot of great feedback). Maybe they don't have awesome shots, or perhaps they're just not everyone's cup of tea.

Power Postersâ„¢ will get more comments or criticism because of the volume of coments already about the outfits. More to talk about, more to disagree about, etc.

Certain posters' styles are unique. They enjoy the way they dress, even if it is too frumpy or OTT for the masses. It's what makes this place great.

So even if I think that Spoo or HF's fits occasionally suffer from pattern overload, it works for them. Would I wear Woe's fits? Heck no, and there's no way I could pull it off even if I tried. PG has great photos where he appears always natural in whatever he's wearing. And Vox has a yearly clothing budget that likely exceeds my gross income - but he invests in classically styled, elegant clothes rather than garish labelwhoring.

We may all read Flusser and whatever else, but it's the applied knowledge and the diverse approaches to the application that make it interesting.

Tl;dr -
    Q: Can you objectively critique peoples style?
    A: No. But that makes it interesting.

well said. it certainly makes for fun.

14. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    The stamp knows no prejudice.