• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Skanstull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Despite protestations to the contrary, we value posters like Manton and Foo and the energy that comes with a light hand at moderation. Luckily, and I've already spoken with Manton about this, our new platform, due to launch July 1, will allow for both. We will have a small number of posters, designated at "Dubiously honored", Manton chief among them, who will have the ability to moderate their own threads, keeping them on topic (we will, of course, ask members of this group to use good judgement.) This way, there can be very focused threads among the more rambling, free-for-all threads.

So... technical fix for the win.

Awesome. Great idea.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Sure, just not that one. If a suit's going to be brown, it ought to be correspondingly rustic. My brown glen plaid flannel, for example. Also, a cigar brown linen suit would be fantastic.

I think this notion makes perfect sense for 98 percent of wardrobes. Vox is in that two percent. A brown suit like his should be pretty far down the list for nearly all of us, but I think it makes a lot of sense for someone who doesn't need another grey city suit. I think the cloth looks great, but I'd probably want another 20+ suits before I would even consider it for myself.

So, yeah, I don't disagree with you, but I think you have to understand the greater context of who is wearing it. Not to mention, I'm guessing vox knows when something of that color should be appropriately worn and, as the picture shows, how to compose an entire outfit with it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But no worsted?

Nope. Brown worsted is the worst.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Lesser nailhead citified? Or brown nailhead citified. Brown nailhead I could see that you can argue has an identity crisis.

Brown nailhead, like what MantoVoxDopey wear.

Also, your brown glen plaid is not a suit, so I don't think it counts same with brown linen, which you can arge is more casual to begin with.

Yes it is. Double-breasted, 4x1.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... "Dubiously honored" ...
technical fix for the win.

Great! Thats a good idea; it should work well.

Early July...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I think this notion makes perfect sense for 98 percent of wardrobes. Vox is in that two percent. A brown suit like his should be pretty far down the list for nearly all of us, but I think it makes a lot of sense for someone who doesn't need another grey city suit. I think the cloth looks great, but I'd probably want another 20+ suits before I would even consider it for myself.

So, yeah, I don't disagree with you, but I think you have to understand the greater context of who is wearing it. Not to mention, I'm guessing vox knows when something of that color should be appropriately worn and, as the picture shows, how to compose an entire outfit with it.

Doesn't matter if it's your 1000th suit, it's a crime against nature. I disagree that Vox's combination works. The tie and shirt are far too vivid against the very muted brown of the suit.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite protestations to the contrary, we value posters like Manton and Foo and the energy that comes with a light hand at moderation. Luckily, and I've already spoken with Manton about this, our new platform, due to launch July 1, will allow for both. We will have a small number of posters, designated at "Dubiously honored", Manton chief among them, who will have the ability to moderate their own threads, keeping them on topic (we will, of course, ask members of this group to use good judgement.) This way, there can be very focused threads among the more rambling, free-for-all threads.

So... technical fix for the win.

Nice! That actually exceeds any expectation I could have around this issue. And please don't take my earlier criticism as disrespectful, I know that there are a very few of you for a site this large and that it's a thankless job. Thanks.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If a suit's going to be brown, it ought to be correspondingly rustic. My brown glen plaid flannel, for example. Also, a cigar brown linen suit would be fantastic.

I don't like the Lesser nailhead because it is too citified. It's neither one thing nor another.

Lesser nailhead citified? Or brown nailhead citified. Brown nailhead I could see that you can argue has an identity crisis.

Also, your brown glen plaid is not a suit, so I don't think it counts same with brown linen, which you can arge is more casual to begin with.

So, citified, countrified, conservative business dress?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Is a cotton suit in 100F Atlanta considered conservative business dress, or does it have to be wool?

I think it mostly depends on the cut and fit. It looks like a conservative cut with nice sized lapels. As far as the classic tailored clothing side of the equation, I don't love that tie - it seems a little shiny. I light blue shirt and and darker tie would work better I think.

ctp120

Reaction score
From a few days ago; never got around to posting it in either thread. Thoughts?

DSC_0048.jpg

Shirt and tie closeup (fine stripe on shirt is lost in the big pic)

DSC_0008.jpg

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite protestations to the contrary, we value posters like Manton and Foo and the energy that comes with a light hand at moderation. Luckily, and I've already spoken with Manton about this, our new platform, due to launch July 1, will allow for both. We will have a small number of posters, designated at "Dubiously honored", Manton chief among them, who will have the ability to moderate their own threads, keeping them on topic (we will, of course, ask members of this group to use good judgement.) This way, there can be very focused threads among the more rambling, free-for-all threads. So... technical fix for the win.
can't ask for more. great technical solution. should hopefully put a lot of the whining to rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads