• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321

Why are no socks never OK?

What would you suggest I wear with those loafers? Knee-high stockings?

- because, that's why.

- light colored crew length argyles.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
- light colored crew length argyles.

Hipster.

Who gave my thread one star? Show yourself!

naviator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Gents in warmer climates did wear bermuda shorts...

Officiers in colonies did wear them with pride...

Up until a couple of years ago, this uniform was still on the books:

tropical.png

I had an old ratty pair of trousers that I converted specially for this purpose, and wore it from time to time as a sort of humorous throwback. I even had the optional Pith Helmet that goes with it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I countered the 1-star rating with a 5-star, as I obtained some useful information pertaining to foot odors.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't believe it to be proper etiquette for a man to be seen in public wearing shorts; perhaps that is just because I am an old-fashioned curmudgeon. Maybe you can help to alter my opinion on this matter.

So, do you wear shorts?

Yes, depending upon where I am.

In New York, no.
At a beach resort, yes.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I countered the 1-star rating with a 5-star, as I obtained some useful information pertaining to foot odors.

Thank you, GreenFrog.

For what it's worth, I have never experienced any odor problems with going sockless in my loafers. I have a pair from last year that still smell new, and I never wore socks in them once.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, GreenFrog.

For what it's worth, I have never experienced any odor problems with going sockless in my loafers. I have a pair from last year that still smell new, and I never wore socks in them once.

I have a friend who wears boat shoes without socks.. and boy.. his feet smell like sh*t. It's nasty.

Artking3

Reaction score

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the time. Tailored and with penny loafers or boatshoes, an OCBD or a polo. I'm 28. When I'm older I will reconsider.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Here in California, almost everyone is dressed like crap. Nobody wears loafers with shorts, mostly athletic shoes. Do you guys think that I can wear these shoes with shorts? Does leaving the shoes untied emphasize the casual look? Its hard to know exactly how to dress up the look.
doX2o.jpg

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Here in California, almost everyone is dressed like crap. Nobody wears loafers with shorts, mostly athletic shoes. Do you guys think that I can wear these shoes with shorts? Does leaving the shoes untied emphasize the casual look? Its hard to know exactly how to dress up the look.
doX2o.jpg
YtKds.jpg

Boat shoes for the first fit, and slightly longer shorts. On the second fit, the first shoes --might-- work. And please, never use long white socks with shorts nor walking shoes!!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would wear them with pants to dress them up. Linen or light chinos would be easiest.

And looks like that last picture are why so many people here hate shorts. Never wear them with a blazer. Unless you're from bermuda, where the look is accepted, if still not attractive. It's just completely incongruous. If the situation is both warm enough and informal enough for shorts, it's warm enough and informal enough that the blazer and anything else with long sleeves should be off.

I think the shoes work okay, but more casual is probably better.

Also, skip the tall white socks/athletic shoes bit. At least don't hike them up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads