• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Wearing shorts in the summer = wearing an overcoat in the winter.

That is why every spring/fall I wear shorts under my overcoat.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I have no issue with wearing shorts. Oddly I dont seem to own a pair that I really like so Im gonna have to get a pair for this summer since I hear its going to be extra hot here in Toronto.

Its sandals I cant stand. If you're on the beach then its all good, but I dont like seeing people wear sandals downtown in the city. Then you get all those people who insist on wearing their crisp white socks with their sandals which just confuses me because I thought the point of wearing sandals was to keep your feet cool. Why not just wear a pair of canvas shoes with no socks?

Sandals on the subway is a whole other level.

I think, while a bit trendy, Roman sandals can be OK, depending on the shoe?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be idealogically anti-short, only wearing them while playing sports or on beach vacations. I've softened in the last year or two in principle, but not in practice. I don't see anything wrong with wearing shorts in public, but old habits die hard.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
That is why every spring/fall I wear shorts under my overcoat.

Near primary schools by any chance?
laugh.gif

kraands

Reaction score
I own three pairs of shorts and avoid wearing them unless it's extremely hot out. Even then, maybe.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Wouldn't you get terrible odors if you wore shoes without socks in the sweaty, summer heat?

Sometimes. Sperry's are particularly bad about it. But not all shoes do, and canvas sneakers are easy enough to douse with a hose or throw in the wash without too much worry. And the scent isn't an issue when you're wearing 'em, unless somebody gets really close to your shoes.

As for canvas shoes with no socks, grab yourself a pair and try it out. Vans and chucks are the classic choices. It ain't exactly an expensive habit- the $12 walmart chuck knockoffs are fine, and even work better if you have a wider forefoot like I do. Boat shoes are also a nice choice. The all leather ones can get kind of roasty, but they still work well as the weather turns cooler. Ones with canvas and mesh are a nice choice.

And I'm an advocate for mature leather sandals. They look much better than a teva style, though those are fine in the right context, and it's very nice to have them on hot summer days. As long as you keep your toenails trimmed, you'll be fine. Your feet are not that disgusting, really. I have a pair of these and am quite happy with them. Just don't wear socks.

Basically, I feel that the objections to shorts and sandals are the same thing. A need for formality and an irrational discomfort with the human body.

Of course, I'm part of a small minority of my generation that's actually comfortable getting naked in a locker room, so perhaps I'm not really one to speak.

joneog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Also, I believe a true gentleman should never have his legs exposed in public; it's simply uncouth and indecorous.

Agreed. Only time I wear shorts is under my man-Burka. Even then it feels a bit scandalous.

Seriously though, I have no problem with shorts in summer. I don't think I've ever seen my grandfather wear shorts (or short-sleeves for that matter) but he's almost 90 so...

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
This thread is terrible.
You're legs are terrible.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
fing02[1].gif
It still could be an epic one...

Oh, it will be. They all are. I feel like men that trim their leg hair for the purpose of wearing shorts are really quite silly. Why bother trying to manicure your legs if you can't just show them off as they are, the way mother nature intended? I have an idea: wear some goddamn pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads