• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
What would the name of said establishment be?

I will be in Melbourne for two days in June with work so it sounds I like I should have a look.

I believe its Napoleon's Menswear ... walk up and down the street its not hard to miss

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
What would the name of said establishment be?

I will be in Melbourne for two days in June with work so it sounds I like I should have a look.

Bonaparte's Men's Boutique. 235 Lygon St.

Definitely worth a visit. I found it first though... fxh is just riding on my coat tails
laugh.gif

BTW Beggar Man thief in South Melbourne is having a sale on selected styles. The Loake 1880 Burford is at $320.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Judging by the flock of C&J lovers that are now flocking to Carmina I would say they would probably be a touch up in quality.

Could it be that the C&J lovers are now a bit distressed at the sudden popularity of C&J and are just moving to Carmina because they are still 'unique'?

Regrading shoes : I have a bad habit of rubbing my rubber heels against my leather uppers whilst my feet are under my desk at work. This leaves black scuff marks on the uppers. Anyway I can clean these off before polishing them? Or do I just polish over them?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elvish
I think you'll find it's an Australian based company. The product is made offshore.

I'd say made by hand is the same ad made in Italy...

It means nothing without substance

That makes sense.

kickstart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow
Well unlike some other people I hope you liked the heads up. I thought a forum like this was to share things we know with other members. Like Herringbone sales in Perth

One of my colleagues in the office is friend with the owner.

Hi there,

Have you had any experience with the 'custom shirts'?

I'm tentative to risk $399 on a suit, but would be willing to gamble $149 on three custom shirts...

Look forward to your thoughts.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Could it be that the C&J lovers are now a bit distressed at the sudden popularity of C&J and are just moving to Carmina because they are still 'unique'?

Regrading shoes : I have a bad habit of rubbing my rubber heels against my leather uppers whilst my feet are under my desk at work. This leaves black scuff marks on the uppers. Anyway I can clean these off before polishing them? Or do I just polish over them?

I think this is the more likely scenario. That and they can't adequately fill their consumerist desire to buy as many shoes as possible due to the current restrictions in supply of C&J... so they look elsewhere for their next brand-you've-never-heard-of pair of shoes... in this instance, Carmina.

Not saying anything against their quality, but their sudden popularity is more a result of the perception of those buying them than any intrinsic property of the shoes I feel.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonaparte's Men's Boutique. 235 Lygon St.

Definitely worth a visit. I found it first though... fxh is just riding on my coat tails :

This is true - but at least I'm shameless about it.

The guy there is a very nice fellow as well.

Its not cheap not expensive

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting observation. Try wearing dub monks and see what damage you can do to your beautiful shoes.
plain.gif

Lowly Public Servant

Reaction score
G'day all

I've got a bit of a problem and am hoping you guys might be able to help me out with some info.

I recently bought a pair of Church's Balmorals off of Ebay and they arrived today.

I got them for a great price (less than $200 inc. shipping from the US). They are a beautiful pair of shoes but when I pulled them out of the box and had a good look at them I noticed that the lower sole is coming away from the upper sole in the instep of the right shoe.

While this has given me a better understanding of goodyear welting and how everything all fits together (I had a 'so that's what goodyear welting is' moment), I would rather get the shoes fixed than send them back to the original seller. The damage isn't too extensive and there is a lot of life left in the soles.

What I am after is the name of a cobbler or shoe store where I can get these fixed for a reasonable price. I know that I could send them back to Church's for a refurb but I would rather get them fixed locally if possible.

I have done a bit of searching on this thread and come up with McClouds as a company that could help but that is it.

So, does anyone have any alternative cobblers / shoe stores that are worthwhile checking out and contacting? As I live in Canberra I would prefer somewhere close by. I am not expecting to find anywhere in Canberra that might be able to provide this service but Sydney might be good.

LPS
smile.gif

I am also going to have to get some more shoe trees as Ebay has been good to me lately.

Smudge

Reaction score
Depending on how bad the damage is, a reputable local cobbler migt be able to restitch it for you which might be worthwhile given the life left in the soles. Dont know any cobblers in Canberra but if you plan to be in Sydney anytime soon I'd suggest dropping in to "Shoe Works" in the Chifley Centre. They did a great job of (Goodyear) resoling some shoes for me. I seem to recall paying about $100 for full resole. Mind you, I think Church's refurb service is GBP 85 which isn't a huge amount more given exchange rate these days.

zach_br

Reaction score
I figure this is the best place to post an ad for a Claude Maus leather bomber jacket, I bought it in feb this year for $1100 from the store in Manchester lane Melbourne. Its a black sheekskin leather with a cotton jersey lining. Made in Australia. I havn't gotten around to posting a thread for it, so PM me if interested.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zach_br
I figure this is the best place to post an ad for a Claude Maus leather bomber jacket, I bought it in feb this year for $1100 from the store in Manchester lane Melbourne. Its a black sheekskin leather with a cotton jersey lining. Made in Australia. I havn't gotten around to posting a thread for it, so PM me if interested.

No needs to go in B&S.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowly Public Servant
G'day all

I've got a bit of a problem and am hoping you guys might be able to help me out with some info.

I recently bought a pair of Church's Balmorals off of Ebay and they arrived today.

I got them for a great price (less than $200 inc. shipping from the US). They are a beautiful pair of shoes but when I pulled them out of the box and had a good look at them I noticed that the lower sole is coming away from the upper sole in the instep of the right shoe.

While this has given me a better understanding of goodyear welting and how everything all fits together (I had a 'so that's what goodyear welting is' moment), I would rather get the shoes fixed than send them back to the original seller. The damage isn't too extensive and there is a lot of life left in the soles.

What I am after is the name of a cobbler or shoe store where I can get these fixed for a reasonable price. I know that I could send them back to Church's for a refurb but I would rather get them fixed locally if possible.

I have done a bit of searching on this thread and come up with McClouds as a company that could help but that is it.

So, does anyone have any alternative cobblers / shoe stores that are worthwhile checking out and contacting? As I live in Canberra I would prefer somewhere close by. I am not expecting to find anywhere in Canberra that might be able to provide this service but Sydney might be good.

LPS
smile.gif

I am also going to have to get some more shoe trees as Ebay has been good to me lately.

One of the Canberra guys will know a place. A cobbler will do it. If you are having problems PM me and we could get it done in Sydney for you. It may only need glueing down but then again it may be a stitch down goodyear resole. Postage to UK there and back will be expensive vs Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads