1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

It's a numbers game fxh buddy. Just a matter of time before I flash it to someone who haven't seen bigger and be impressed by it.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Unlikely
    Yeah but what about your watch?

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Ahhh, this old chestnut. I struggled for a while on this when starting out. My rule of thumb has a lot to do with the type of lifestyle I lead when suited. I typically sit on my arse all day, mostly without a jacket on. Because of this, I start with the shirt sleeve length. For me, the ideal shirt sleeve lenth is the length at which, when seated at a desk or meeting room table, I can place my elbows on the table, with my hands held up towards my face, and the cuff still comes up just below my wrist bone on the arm side. IMHO it's a waste to have a nice shirt where the cuffs go halfway down somebody's arms when in this position. Using that as a guide, this gets me to get to the point of when I have my hands down by my sides, they shouldn't fall too much past the hand side of the wrist bone. Of course this depends on how snug your cuffs are - on my MTM shirts this is prety much the case, with my ORT shirts (mainly French cuffs), they ten to fall a litle further.

Once you get your shirt down pat, then you work backwards to figure out how long your jacket should be so that when standing with your arms by your side you get 1-1.5cm of cuff showing.

This is what works for me anyhow.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

It is even less likely for my watch. It's a mid 90's quartz with a 34mm case.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

To add to checkstar,s reply - it also depends on how slim your shirt sleeves and jacket sleeves are.
    A slim/narrow/tight shirt sleeve with high narrow arm hole will pull up more when you bend your elbow (bend elbow hehe) and pull up cuff more. Conversely a wider sleeve with wide arm hole will tend to leave sleeve cuff un pulled up (is that's word.)

Simialry a narrow jacket sleeve will pull shitt sleeve up more than a wide jacket sleeve.

Seems complicated doesn't it for something most people have never thought about or noticed.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oops spelling mistakes etc due to iPad auto correct

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Actually, baggy shirts with low arm holes should pull up more due to shorter inseam.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

what?

1 person likes this.
  9. yoshii

yoshii Senior member

Thanks, just had a look this morning.
    Only had the brown & purple ones left, didn't appeal to me unfortunately. Seems to be the same stock as yesterday

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Have you forgotten those baggy ready to wear shirts already? Those ones with the low arm holes and wide pit to pit measurements (those 2 come hand in hand). The sleeves can be hanging all the way down you your knees but as soon as you lift your arms up, they go right up to your elbow (OK I exaggerated a little).

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Thanks for the heads up on this. I went and had a look -- picked up the burgundy knit tie with the thin navy stripes (really nice, I love it) and one of the burgundy pocket squares with the sort of houndstoothy pattern. Pretty sweet for $42 all told :slayer:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. lennier

lennier Senior member

I went back today and picked up a knit tie that I procrastinated over yesterday.. Now I might have to go back again and check out the pocket squares again, as they only had brown when I looked yesterday!

13. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

I have received a mail out from Ascot Chang re their upcoming tour. They will be in in Sydney on August 8th & 9TH. SHERATON ON THE PARK PHONE 02 9286 6000 HOURS ARE 9AM TO 7PM They will be in Melbourne August 10th & 11TH. MELBOURNE MARRIOTT HOTEL PHONE0396623900 HOURS ARE 3PM TILL 7PM ON THE 10TH AND 9AM TILL 7PM ON THE 11TH.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Was up the Paris end today and noticed that Henry Buck's have closed their Collins Place store. Bit of a surprise.

15. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I keep hearing about their new pricing, i'll try and get some concrete numbers before expressing interest

16. quar

quar Senior member

C coming to Melbourne? Any word on pricing?

17. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Really? I'm not that surprised.

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I guess they would be hurting if mobs like DJs are. Apparently people silly enough to pay their prices are also silly enough to fall for blatant political scare campaigns. :)

19. ned kelly

ned kelly Active Member

I don't know anything about prices. There is a 3 shirt minimum order. Shirt fabrics are DJA ,Tomas Mason,Alumo, and Monti. Suitings are Loro Piana, Vitale Barberis, H & S, Zegna etc. They request you ring for an appointment.

20. meister

meister Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.