• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for a military wedding

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
The uniform you linked to is not our full dress, but our winter mess dress and usually worn for evening social events like an evening wedding, ball, dining out, etc.. -Navy Officer, 22 years of service.

but it was the dress uniform to which the OP's own link led to.... That be be a considered a reasonable judgement of what he intends to wear.

As to the bride's choice, the mind boggles.

naviator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Surely way over the top for a daytime wedding which I assume it is? This borders on costume - surely there visa more appropriate formal day dress?

It will be an evening wedding, which is why we decided to go that route.

Originally Posted by maxnharry
First, the tradition in the Navy is that the uniform of the day for a wedding is whatever your bride wants it to be. The uniform you linked to is not our full dress, but our winter mess dress and usually worn for evening social events like an evening wedding, ball, dining out, etc.. Full dress would be service dress blue with medals, sword and gloves:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...DressBlue.aspx

Either way, wear what your bride wants you to wear.

As for the shoes, the Leeds are the ones to get. You can wear them with this and any other uniform that requires black shoes. If you are a SWO you can even wear them with your khakis. I know plenty of Navy and USMC officers who wear shoes other than the Bates sold at the NEX/MCX.

-Navy Officer, 22 years of service.

And you sir are correct on that full-dress distinction. Full dress would likely be appropriate for a morning event, I think. The option I linked to though is the "formal dress", which is the white tie variant of dinner dress. It uses a different shirt, and has a vest instead of a cummerbund. I'll actually still be using the black bow tie from the dinner dress, but we wanted this option to avoid the "tacky" gold cummerbund. The event will be black-tie, overall. Thanks for the input!

USAF - 1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by naviator
You can get them in brown, but they have to be custom made. ($125 extra). I actually do own a pair of brown Leeds that I got second hand a while back from an old retired pilot that happened to be my exact size. I had them recrafted and they're holding up pretty well. I used to wear them all the time with the Aviation Working Green uniform before that got cut this past december. Damn shame. Now, if only AE could also make them in White, then I finally get rid of those awful white Bates shoes. I generally don't like patent leather either, but those clean lines on the kendall are pretty appealing. That said, based on the overwhelming consensus that a well polished Leeds is indeed appropriate for the occasion, I will follow your advice and stick with Leeds!
Agreed. The Kendall does look very nice. I also considered them. However, I think you are making the right call, the Leeds are much more versatile. As an aside - good for you for wearing aviation green. I was stationed at both NAS Oceana and Fallon and in four years I saw that uniform being worn twice. Very sharp, and it's a shame they retired it. In the Air Force we have almost no options. It's blues with the horrendous coat, or no coat, or ABUs. Mess dress is okay, but nothing like the Navy's.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naviator
It will be an evening wedding, which is why we decided to go that route.

And you sir are correct on that full-dress distinction. Full dress would likely be appropriate for a morning event, I think. The option I linked to though is the "formal dress", which is the white tie variant of dinner dress. It uses a different shirt, and has a vest instead of a cummerbund. I'll actually still be using the black bow tie from the dinner dress, but we wanted this option to avoid the "tacky" gold cummerbund. The event will be black-tie, overall. Thanks for the input!

That sounds perfect. Congratulations to you and your wife to be!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yodan731
Here is a direct quote from the Marine Corps uniform regs: 3. Male Dress Shoes. (see fig. 3-2). Officers' dress black shoes will be either oxford or chukka boot in style and may be either the bal- or blucher-type. Looks like balmorals are good to go.
Maybe there's a similar rule for the Navy to allow wearing bals? If that's possible, I think a balmoral would be more preferable to a blucher. I was best man (civilian) at my friend's naval wedding. Are you going to do the sword arch"”and slap the bride across the butt after she passes with one of the swords? Cause that's what happened at that wedding and it was pretty great. Also, I have seen Top Gun over a dozen times.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Maybe there's a similar rule for the Navy to allow wearing bals? If that's possible, I think a balmoral would be more preferable to a blucher. I was best man (civilian) at my friend's naval wedding. Are you going to do the sword arch—and slap the bride across the butt after she passes with one of the swords? Cause that's what happened at that wedding and it was pretty great. Also, I have seen Top Gun over a dozen times.
The verse and chapter from the uniform regs is: Description and Wear of Uniform Components Shoes, Dress (Black/Brown/White) (Male) Article 3501.54 a. Males. Plain toed, oxford style black, brown, or white, low quarter, lace shoe, made of smooth leather or synthetic leather. The heel shall be an outside heel 3/4 inch - 7/8 inch high with a flat sole.
3501_54_mc.JPG
The uniform regs don't seem to know that an oxford is not the shoe in the picture. I agree a balmoral would be better, but think regularly wearing them in uniform on other occasions would be a problem. Most naval officers would recognize that the shoes were "wrong" (though technically in compliance) from what everyone wears. It could pose a problem for a young naval aviator. For an older officer, no problem. I knew an Admiral who would wear custom uniforms from Naples, black leather belt (a no-no) and C&J shoes, but he was an exception (and an Admiral). If they don't do the complete sword arch, with the pat, they're doing it wrong.

xudisco07

Reaction score
My father always wore the Leeds with his. He also had wide feet, so there were not many options that were in EEE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads