• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short essay help (cash incentive)

BRMC_doves

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've decided to pursue a different field of work, which will enable me to work and live just about anywhere in the World. I've also wanted to volunteer a year of my life to help others in less fortunate situations. Becoming a registered nurse will allow me to do both these things. I already have a bachelor's degree in biology, so I would need to go back to school for one more year.

I'm practically already accepted into the program after meeting with the program advisor and program instructor, but they require me to write an in-class essay. I have a feeling this is in place to test foreign applicants who have english as their second language but nonetheless I'm still somewhat nervous about it, not having wrote an essay in quite a while.

The 500 word essay is in response to the following question:

"What have you learned from your prior work/personal experience that would contribute to the field that you want to enter?"

This is how I will be marked:

Grammar & Spelling /4
Sentence Structure /4
Adding Personality /4
Support for Content /4
Conclusion /4

Here is a brief summary of what they're looking for:

In the introduction, it is expected that you will introduce the essay question and establish how you will effectively address this question. The introduction should set the scene and get your reader interested in reading on.

In the body paragraphs(lkely 2-3), it is expected that you will provide specific support in response to your essay question. In each paragraph you will focus around a main topic and develop this idea with evidence and examples. For example, the following could be the topics for your body paragraphs:
A) Previous work/ personal accomplishments you are most porud of, and why
B) Challenges that you may have had to face and overcome
C) The contribution that your experience(s) will make to the field you are seeking to enter.

In the conclusion, it is expected that you will re-affirm what you have presented in your essay. However, you should go beyond repeating and summarizing what you have said earlier and provide an insightful ending that brings your ideas together and provides the reader with a deeper understanding of who you are and what you can bring to the field.

Anyways, I have a week to prepare for this and was told I'm allowed to bring in an outline of my essay. Problem is, I've hit a major writer's block and need some help getting the ball rolling with my introduction.
I'm assuming the most important aspects of working in this field would be your communication skills and patient safety. I was also thinking of touching on my high attention to detail and patience. Perhaps touch on an experience where I learned from a mistake and corrected.

I know everyone's busy with their own lives, but any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.
I think what's more important is how the essay is worded/presented and not so much to do with the actual details I touch on.

My work experience includes working as a sub-contractor, managing a work team, dealing with suppliers, foremans and inspectors. I've worked in retail as well. I've also worked several crummy warehouse jobs in the past.

As far as personal experiences go...I thought I could tie in my experiences living with and caring for my grandparents and the patience required with this.

I really hate to propose this and I'm sure I will take some flack for this, but I'm willing to pay someone (a person very confident in their writing ability) for 30 minutes of their time, to write me a rough draft. At least from there I have something to work with, especially regarding an intro and conclusion, along with key transitional words that will make the essay read smoothly.

Regarding the prior work and personal experience, I can basically B.S. and jot down anything with which you think could work well with any ideas you come up with. And I would rather not include my school history in this.

Please PM me if interested. I can't promise a whole lot, maybe something around $25, but at least it would cover shipping costs for your next few purchases! haha

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from someone ASAP!

BRMC_doves

Reaction score
I would also thinking of mentioning my compassion I have for others in general. Not sure if that would be wise hmmm.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** dude, it's an essay. Maybe you could go for some practice. Use this as a chance to improve this particular facet.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You basically wrote an essay asking for someone to write you an essay. Be a man and take care of your business.

edit: You actually wrote over 700 words asking for someone to write you a 500 word essay
laugh.gif

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
You basically wrote an essay asking for someone to write you an essay. Be a man and take care of your business.

edit: You actually wrote over 700 words asking for someone to write you a 500 word essay
laugh.gif

lol this.

500 words is nothing. though sometimes it can be harder to write something good when you have a short word limit.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: also don't worry about word limit too much at trhe beginning. You can always edit it down.
In my recent experience with application essays, the only way to beat writersblock is just starting to write anything that comes to mind. You already did that with this post. Just take the topics that you mention above and write the 500 words straight through. Don't worry too much about spelling grammar etc. You're just putting together a block of clay you can sculpt into a great essay. You'll be fine.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh, the ethical issues of your request notwithstanding, it would be very difficult for anyone else to write this particular essay successfully unless s/he were to make a lot of **** up. Judging from your post above (and I make a living partly by grading lots of papers), it doesn't seem like you have major issues in self-expression. Nor does it seem like this essay calls for particularly dazzling prose.

All of which to say: just write the goddamned thing.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, i have no respect for people who can't put in their own time to do their own work. here's a tip: start with an outline. if you're sure that you'll get in, just type 500 words worth of "a's" quit being a bum

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What. With the time you took to post this Op you could have had the damn thing written!

Allen

Reaction score
lol, I'll give you some friendly advice: essays are personal and short. 500 words is nothing compared to the full 1500 words essay I had to write on philosophy. It's an essay in which you are supposed to write about YOUR experience, not mine or anybody else's.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here you go...

All my life I've wanted to be a nurse. No, not a doctor. No, not one of those candy stripe-- What? Yes, I'm serious. Serious as a freaking heart attack. Which I can handle, now, thank you very much, because I'm about to become a nurse. What? Well, no, no. Technically, no. But I can assist with the prep for surgery, and I can administer painkillers afterward in the postoperative recovery. Yeah? Well, **** you, buddy! I'd like to see you help a doctor prep for major surgery! Go *************, wise ass!

/essay

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads