• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Appreciation Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Also orange socks, but that is a bit off topic.

Meat prices look normal on the high end stuff, and high on the more rustic cuts, compared to what I see.

+1. $10/lb oxtail?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Those prices are what I pay to high end butchers in NY, more or less.

Originally Posted by foodguy
yeah, those aren't out of line for that kind of product. and remember that the next time you're complaining about feed lots. if you want stuff that's conscientiously raised, it's going to cost more. me, i'm usually at the mexican market paying $1.99 a pound for pork shoulder. but at least i don't pretend.

I agree - the prices are similar to Whole Foods even - it's just frustrating to have a lack of choices between the bottom end and the top end. The typical grocery stores have pretty sad selections, and the high end is more than I'm willing to spend for my daily fare. I suppose I have found a few Mexican neighborhood markets to fill the gap, and I appreciate you Russ for the pointer on Seafood King, but it took a while to find these places. I'm lamenting the demise of the regular old neighborhood butcher. I suppose I'm getting this thread off topic so I'll drop it.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. $10/lb oxtail?

The comment about waste specifically relates to oxtail (and a few others). I've paid much less/lb for it, but never had any with more meat on them, nor any as good in flavor, although I didn't ask about their provenance.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
The comment about waste specifically relates to oxtail (and a few others). I've paid much less/lb for it, but never had any with more meat on them, nor any as good in flavor, although I didn't ask about their provenance.

That's true, those do look like they have a ton of meat on them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I agree - the prices are similar to Whole Foods even - it's just frustrating to have a lack of choices between the bottom end and the top end. The typical grocery stores have pretty sad selections, and the high end is more than I'm willing to spend for my daily fare. I suppose I have found a few Mexican neighborhood markets to fill the gap, and I appreciate you Russ for the pointer on Seafood King, but it took a while to find these places. I'm lamenting the demise of the regular old neighborhood butcher. I suppose I'm getting this thread off topic so I'll drop it.

There are two great neighborhood butchers in Santa Cruz, one that goes back to the '30s. Until about 15 years ago, prices were par or lower to chains for superior stuff. They started creeping up. Now they are definitely high but the quality is still much better than chains. There is a better selection of mid to low and poutlry prices are not high.

We got Whole Foods maybe two years ago and their prices are
crazy.gif
but at least they haven't pushed up the prices elsewhere.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Jons on Vermont. They're old school, even though it's in a supermarket. fwiw, the stand alone butcher that I grew up with in Encino is still in business. Seafood city is great
The funniest thing is seeing them in downtown la. it used to be, before downtown cleaned up, that you would see little clumps of them, families, in some of the absolute worst areas (blade runner is like mr. rogers), looking frantically at their guide books. "WTF?" or whatever the german translation would be.
laugh.gif
"It says Scarface was shot here. I assumed they meant the movie.."

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup, but depending on where you live, you can still find them. at the old farmers market (the one with no farmers), there's a great butcher (marconda's) and a great poulterer (pilgrim).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
yup, but depending on where you live, you can still find them. at the old farmers market (the one with no farmers), there's a great butcher (marconda's) and a great poulterer (pilgrim).

I think I had a friend in high school whose parents broke up because of apoultery.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Where is this?

if matt won't answer ... it's marshall store on tomales bay.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
I think I had a friend in high school whose parents broke up because of apoultery.

were they "wingers"?
rimshot.gif
rimshot.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
were they "wingers"?
rimshot.gif
rimshot.gif

I don't think so. The wife liked hens better than cocks. (I had to do it - sorry)

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Stuff changing in my old neighborhood.

Highland Park, 85 years ago:

sunbeam.jpg

Same building after some renovations today

highlandpark.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They produce some of the best beers available, bar none:

P6260163a.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics