• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Battling a Bad Interviewer

osadolor619

Reaction score
I tried looking for threads on this topic but found none.

I am applying for a position with Verizon Wireless and have a phone interview this Wednesday. I have a lot of wireless sales experience (Sprint, AT&T). Here is the thing, this is my THIRD INTERVIEW, in other words this is my third time in 2 years. I never make it past the face to face interview. I always pass the phone interview, HR always likes me. The problem is when I get to the face to face, it's always the same Area manager. This guy is a complete asshole. He's self-centered, obese and rude. Last time he told me that getting hired there was like winning the lottery, WOW! He only asked me 3 questions and the rest of the time was spent talking about himself...

So my question is, in the event that I get him again, which I probably will, how do I overcome him and will he view my persistence as a good quality?

Thanks in advance.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he wants to talk about himself, let him talk about himself. If he's that self-involved, the more interested you seem in him, the more he'll probably like you. If you'd be working for him, ask him what he needs, listen politely, then play to that. If he just wants to complain, listen, then say something like "That must be frustrating. Is there something the person in this position can do to help? How can we make this situation better?" Try to come across as an empathetic problem solver.

If he mentions he's seen you before, tell him it's a reflection of how much you want the job, and that you'll keep coming back until you convince him to hire you.

Different interviewers want and need different things, so don't try to make the discussion conform to your terms and expectations. It's like playing poker.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reach around!

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any interviewer should give you the chance to ask some questions yourself at the end of the interview. If they don't, ask if you can ask them a few things. Prepare at least 2 or 3 questions about the role, the business in general, and perhaps something specific / technical.

The first thing I ask is if there is anything I've said the interviewers would like me to clarify or go into more detail on, I've had feedback before where it has turned out the interviewers have missed something I've said.

Also, if it's just one guy you have a problem with, just be polite to him and concentrate on getting through to the other members of the panel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think this is a question for Jon.

osadolor619

Reaction score
I was told by numerous people (sales reps, manager) that he is indeed a self-centered asshole and that he's like that to everyone. My problem is that I don't do good around those kinds of people, I have a very strong personality. I'm trying to adapt to office politics but it's really difficult.

Originally Posted by ter1413
Reach around!

Ha, I was told to bring him Krispy Kremes

Originally Posted by Tangfastic
Any interviewer should give you the chance to ask some questions yourself at the end of the interview. If they don't, ask if you can ask them a few things. Prepare at least 2 or 3 questions about the role, the business in general, and perhaps something specific / technical.

The first thing I ask is if there is anything I've said the interviewers would like me to clarify or go into more detail on, I've had feedback before where it has turned out the interviewers have missed something I've said.

Also, if it's just one guy you have a problem with, just be polite to him and concentrate on getting through to the other members of the panel.

This is very good advice, thanks. What other types of questions? I know all about the job as I've done the same thing for other companies for years.

Originally Posted by JayJay
Suffer through it. Be attentive, feign interest, and nod politely.

This is what I tried last time, this time I'm banking on him seeing me 3 times.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osadolor619
Who is Jon?

Back to back winner of "The Best Employee of the Millennium" award.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why do you want to work for an asshole?

SenorMatador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

This.

And if he's not your direct superior, he's probably hired the people who would supervise you, meaning they're most likely people that cater to his fancy. Doesn't sound like an environment I'd like to be in (having experienced such).

osadolor619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm not going to let a person stand in the way of my bank account. It's sales, which I'm good at, so that's all I need to do and the rest will fall in place.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
The old adage: money doesn't buy you happiness (or better coworkers for that matter).

In the long-run, would you rather be making money at a place with a great support network or some place where you grumble about having to go to work every morning, but it pays well?

That being said, I'm making a lot of assumptions about what it's like to work there, but something you should definitely consider.

But like others suggested, let him gloat, even stroke his ego once or twice. It's too easy getting past those kind of people. Ask him questions about himself and pretend to be interested when he goes on ad nauseam.

osadolor619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SenorMatador
The old adage: money doesn't buy you happiness (or better coworkers for that matter).

In the long-run, would you rather be making money at a place with a great support network or some place where you grumble about having to go to work every morning, but it pays well?

That being said, I'm making a lot of assumptions about what it's like to work there, but something you should definitely consider.

But like others suggested, let him gloat, even stroke his ego once or twice. It's too easy getting past those kind of people. Ask him questions about himself and pretend to be interested when he goes on ad nauseam.

I'm going to grad school soon, this is just to pay the bills and save $$$, well, and buy clothes haha, for now.

You are right, good advice, thanks.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is your third time facing him, and you can't beat him yet? You might want to reload your life from an earlier save file. It sounds like you made some poor attribute allocation choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads