• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Selvedge Denim for the Middle Class?

tehbry

Reaction score
I'd recommend Naked and Famous. Personally, I really like their fits and their denim. The 15oz deep indigo is very nice. It's a good weight, fades nicely, and holds up relatively well. I can imagine the crotch blowing out in mine eventually, but I cycle a lot, so I half-way expect it. You can find these on sale at Barney's, etc for good prices.

A brand I'd encourage you to check out is the Unbranded brand. The denim appears to be made by the same people who make Naked and Famous. I haven't tried this brand, but I've heard the construction and quality of the denim is close to NF but not quite as nice. It does seem to have nice fading properties and looks good. The cuts seems pretty good. They are sold at Urban Outfitters for $78 at retail.

APC is decent, but at $175, I don't think they are that great of a jean compared to others - but everyone has their own opinions.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CalTex
I always thought that the button fly was for women's jeans, enlighten me please.

So when you guys are talking about spending $300 on a pair of jeans, what makes them better than a pair of $30 Levis?

I remember in high school the cool kids spent $300 on jeans but they had a huge logo on the rear, it was like a tiger or something. But apparently they were really cool and expensive, personally not my cup of tea but to each his own.

Errors brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk.

Think about it. A zipper has a set length. Jeans shrink. So as the denim shrinks, the zipper length stays the same which results in that bulge you often see. A button fly eliminates this.

But uh, yeah. 'Middle class' selvage. GAP?

sizzle

Reaction score
my f310's have a zipper
ffffuuuu.gif

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
Think about it. A zipper has a set length. Jeans shrink. So as the denim shrinks, the zipper length stays the same which results in that bulge you often see. A button fly eliminates this. But uh, yeah. 'Middle class' selvage. GAP?
I never thought about that, that makes sense. So this natural fade that you guys are referring to, does that happen with a $30 pair of Levis? I am looking to buy a pair of jeans and I want a good solid par, nothing trendy, so that is why I am asking. I wear Levis when I go to the country they seemed to do well, so I came to the conclusion that they were pretty good. By good I mean durable. Does the natural fade rub off on other articles of clothing and shoes? I wear polos with jeans, t shirts on occasion and I don't want to mess up the lighter color shirts. I wear jeans with chucks, what do you guys wear? Any recommendation for a solid brown colored leather belt to wear with jeans? Does not have to be dark brown, just that goes well with the jeans, I like dark jeans.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never thought about that, that makes sense. So this natural fade that you guys are referring to, does that happen with a $30 pair of Levis? I am looking to buy a pair of jeans and I want a good solid par, nothing trendy, so that is why I am asking. I wear Levis when I go to the country they seemed to do well, so I came to the conclusion that they were pretty good. By good I mean durable.

Does the natural fade rub off on other articles of clothing and shoes? I wear polos with jeans, t shirts on occasion and I don't want to mess up the lighter color shirts. I wear jeans with chucks, what do you guys wear?

Any recommendation for a solid brown colored leather belt to wear with jeans? Does not have to be dark brown, just that goes well with the jeans, I like dark jeans.

All jeans will 'fade' it's just that raw jeans fade more, better and faster than a pair of washed levis you'll find at a store. Indigo has rubbed off on my shoes a lot, I haven't noticed it on any t shirts though.

mikecch

Reaction score
I never thought about that, that makes sense. So this natural fade that you guys are referring to, does that happen with a $30 pair of Levis? I am looking to buy a pair of jeans and I want a good solid par, nothing trendy, so that is why I am asking. I wear Levis when I go to the country they seemed to do well, so I came to the conclusion that they were pretty good. By good I mean durable.

Does the natural fade rub off on other articles of clothing and shoes? I wear polos with jeans, t shirts on occasion and I don't want to mess up the lighter color shirts. I wear jeans with chucks, what do you guys wear?

Any recommendation for a solid brown colored leather belt to wear with jeans? Does not have to be dark brown, just that goes well with the jeans, I like dark jeans.

Hee, sounds like you need to read through superdenim!
Other than denim knowledge, the belts thread over there is perhaps the best organised and informative.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the NF linen blend?

Jd5016

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I guess you've seen firsthand how many a-holes there are on this forum. For more denim discussion you should check out supertalk's denim subforum.

There are plenty of options priced across the board, some better values, some are people just riding the train. In many cases you get what you pay for. Usually the $300 jeans do have an increase in production value in some way over $150 jeans, but not always.

Brands of note for $150 off the top of my head...
Rogue Territory
APC
Epaulet
3Sixteen

If you are willing to go up to even 225 or 250 you can make a huge jump in quality. Unsanforized denim will tend to yield better wear IMHO but like everything there are exceptions to any rule.

Please, go on.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I wouldn't really recommend, if you are looking for cheap -
Unbranded (as someone mentioned)
GAP selvedge
J. Crew selvedge
Old Navy selvedge

Just kidding about that last one, but I would hardly be surprised if I saw that come into fruition

Jd5016

Reaction score
I guess I should mention that I am looking for a selvedge that fits like a Levis 511 or J Crew 484(too bad J Crew over charges for their selvedge @ $225)

I looked into the 3sixteen and the slim seems like it may be too tight and the straight is too loose!!

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
Hee, sounds like you need to read through superdenim!
Other than denim knowledge, the belts thread over there is perhaps the best organised and informative.

I was trying to stick to SF for all of my fashion purposes but I suppose if I must. O wait, I just did a google search , superdenim is a online store? I thought it was a forum. I assume that when you directed me to the "thread over there" you meant superdenim, or SF?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
ok time to lock thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads