• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Trousers - Never?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
In the March issue of the British Esquire, Greg Proops says "I live in Hollywood, where grown men wear white trousers. You should wear white trousers on only two occaisions: one, if you sell ice cream and two, never."

Is there any basis to this in the concordat of classic men's style, or is this just "style according to Proops"? I've never before heard this admonition so I suspect the latter. If so, any of you agree?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
In the March issue of the British Esquire, Greg Proops says "I live in Hollywood, where grown men wear white trousers. You should wear white trousers on only two occaisions: one, if you sell ice cream and two, never."

Is there any basis to this in the concordat of classic men's style, or is this just "style according to Proops"? I've never before heard this admonition so I suspect the latter. If so, any of you agree?

I wear them all the time in Spring and Summer. I generally like to wait until after Memorial Day, since many people who know nothing about clothes, except for a few old "rules," will comment or give you a funny look. But this year, I have decided to shelve that and go ahead and start wearing them as soon as the temperatures exceed 80, which they have already done.

Mike

elgreco

Reaction score
You're going to take what this idiot says seriously?
greg-proops.jpg

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're also appropriate if you're in a South Beach disco looking to pick up some rough trade.

I'm sure someone will follow this up by posting the notorious Ferrari jacket photo as well.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really ??? C'mon now

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
White 501s? - Check!
White linen trousers? - Check!
Off white cotton khakis? - Check!

Sorry to piss on your cornflakes Mr. Proops, now let's talk about that hair!

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Non issue, things have moved on in the past few years, so long as you can carry off a pair;carry on friend.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear white all the time. It looks clean and matches very easily. I like wearing white pants with a black sport coat.

Azzurri

Reaction score
I think it looks very stylish when worn appropriately and I intend to start wearing them more often.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White trousers = not for me. Closest I will get to white trousers are very light beiges and various other off white mixes.

I enjoyed seeing Tony Montana in a white suit (watch Scarface), but just about hate white trousers on everything else.

I assume we are talking of snow white here. Not off whites like certain blends of cream, stone, sand, etc etc ...

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn

I disagree with Proops, but my willingness to wear solid white pants has been diminished over the past couple years because there seems to be a developing stereotype that wearing white pants is a sign that one is gay.
confused.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White jeans? Just fine for summer
White flannels? Very cool for winter (need to get a new pair!)
White suit? Totally awesome once a year esp. when worn to a completely inappropriate event

Any other white trousers? No... but there's not much left anyway once you remove the above 3 categories from the equation

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Srynerson
I disagree with Proops, but my willingness to wear solid white pants has been diminished over the past couple years because there seems to be a developing stereotype that wearing white pants is a sign that one is gay.
confused.gif

Agreed, that was the perception in the late 90s but more than a decade onwards...come on.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like white linen trousers, grown up cut, not "training pants." White jeans look like they come from Discosupplyco, to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads