• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my visit to Napoli & Mina @ Napoli Su Misura

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Beautiful Mina. Really like the fabric on the brown sportcoat - is that Dormeuil?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Beautiful Mina. Really like the fabric on the brown sportcoat - is that Dormeuil?

Yep; Scottie Derby.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Yep; Scottie Derby.

Thanks E - it looks great

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Yep; Scottie Derby.

Are those all of your commissions? I am jealous
eh.gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit and the sportcoat are mine, although I'm lusting over that overcoat as well.
laugh.gif

We experimented a bit this time around. This is my first mohair suit, and the peak lapels came out rather nicely. For the sportcoat, the gorge was lowered a bit while the lapels narrowed a touch, and this is the first example I've seen of Mina's double stitching.

hatguy

Reaction score
very nice mte. i wish mina would come to dc.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I take the bus down from Philly. I kinda wish she went to Singapore lol.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some beautiful jackets Mina. Any chance you may have photos of double-breasted jackets?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

Very nice, Mina! Really like that brown jacket, too.

PSA: for anyone interested, NSM will be in San Francisco this week April 8-9.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grey coat looks very nice, what a lovely shoulder.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Napoli Su Misura
Le ultime.
Buon weekend.
Ciao

Ora ho pauro. Quest'è il mio?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is Sr. Antonio, a maestro with over 40 years of tailoring expertise with Rubinacci, Matuozzo and Panico - and for the last 3 years exclusively for Mina. Mina and Dino will be the first to tell you that it is very odd indeed to see Sr. Antonio crack a grin or smile. He's a crusty old artisan with very firm and sometimes uncompromising beliefs on construction, fit and aesthetics. I think I amuse him with my Italian, to which he responds in Napoletano, after which I turn to Mina for translation. Last night I learned that my PoW suit is the very first time he has gone full-hog Napoletano for any American customer, and I suspect this more than anything else was cause for a grin.

FUN FACT: Sr. Antonio was the recipient of the Golden Scissors - Italy's premier tailoring competition - for 5 consecutive years. Think about that for a moment; he's the Schumacher of the scissors, thread and needle. No wonder he is in such demand, with continual attempts to poach him from many of the names well-respected here by our community. Indeed, these are internationally-renowned brands which can rely much on their reputation, but Sr. Antonio is one of the very few magicians with the rare ability to infuse garments with life and soul. It is due in part to his skills that these houses were able to build their reputations. At the same time, his personality is such that he can be molto duro (very hard), and is certainly not in his element at the "front of the house." He prefers to remain in the background, and together with Mina they have forged a highly effective and productive relationship based on shared ideals, agreement on how things should be done (and importantly, what should NOT be done), and mutual respect for one another. Don't hold your breath to see him in the US, since he's always got a cigarette dangling from the lips, and with the flights to the US I'm concerned he might kill a fellow passenger even before entering Swiss airspace.
laugh.gif

Given his modesty, Sr. Antonio would doubtless not be too pleased to see his picture nor accomplishments so publicly displayed, but I don't expect him to join us here on SF anytime soon. With all the deserved interest in Mina and NSM, I only thought it proper to introduce Sr. Antonio as the key "man behind the throne." So - those of you who would like to work directly with a true master, get your ass to Naples. Basta.

I am sure he is a great, talented tailor (as I can see from the pictures), however is the second time that I hear referral to the Golden Scissor (I have posted on the London Lounge and someone PM about this thread). Here is the link to the Golden Scissor winner, and there was a one time winner from Naples called Antonio, in 1962 Mr Antonio Fortunato (is he the one?).

http://accademianazionaledeisartori....orbicidoro.htm

It is common in Naples to refer to Tailor winning the Forbici D'oro even if they won only the regional selection (there is another young tailor that built a large clientele by newspaper articles claiming so...)

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, Parker & I on the mean (and windy) streets of San Francisco. note: I'm wearing a NSM shirt as well, sleeves are being recut approximately 2cm longer.

27727949.jpg

0a2b53c1.jpg

78acbd6b.jpg

36f8d10e.jpg

178ed760.jpg

9632eb7a.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads