• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Raralith

Reaction score
CBD103-30-2011a.jpg

CBD203-30-2011a.jpg

CBD303-30-2011a.jpg

CBD403-30-2011a.jpg

Boots inspired by some earlier posts so I thought I'd give it a try; I should have stuck with some longwings instead after some other inspirations here.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Very close to ordering a cream linen suit. Please tell me on a scale of 1-10 how conservative business dress that is.

Way back when I was a baby lawyer, I took a client before the Parole Board in the dead of summer in a cream linen suit. Hunt Correctional Facility in Baton Rouge. It was plenty conservative business dress in that environment. Of course, I don't think it really mattered since 5 minutes into the hearing the Chairman pulled out a pack of Levi-Garrett chaw and packed his cheek. Yeah, right there in the hearing. I lost, 2-1....but was commended on my performance.

Yeah, I know, "cool story, bro."

I guess it all depends on where you are as to what is conservative business dress.

Mike

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Thanks and I know.
blush.gif

Thoughts on a pair of these?

5573251908_131d445e56_z.jpg

Those are great. Which last are they on? Thanks.

-LR

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Those are great. Which last are they on? Thanks.

-LR

I believe those are on the F-last.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe those are on the F-last.

Thanks. If I can ever figure out what size I wear in Vass, I will definitely be getting those.

-LR

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Thanks. If I can ever figure out what size I wear in Vass, I will definitely be getting those.

-LR

That's my goal between now and the next order time.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Very close to ordering a cream linen suit. Please tell me on a scale of 1-10 how conservative business dress that is.

I wear one to work in the summer when it gets really hot and have yet to spot any disapproval. On one occasion when I had a meeting with the directors and a corporation member and I deliberately resisted wearing linen on grounds of formality despite the extreme heat only to find the most senior figure wearing a linen suit with PS but no tie. I haven't worried since.

Thoughts on a pair of these?

5573251908_131d445e56_z.jpg

I could find a hundred shoes I prefer to those loafers, but those shoes are really nice
smile.gif

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my goal between now and the next order time.

Would you mind sharing your plan of attack? So far I am clueless.

-LR

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
practical . . . trash.

That was exactly how I felt after doing this for a while.

Either that or tying one's shoelaces is one of those things that calcify early on in development, and are unlikely to change.

OK, enough derailing conservative business dress with a twist. I'm enjoying the pictures and comments so far.

- M

wingman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Yes.

Seriously, I have seen some ridiculous nits picked on Style Forum, but shoe knots?
I sail so I know how to tie a small variety of basic knots but I have never known that there was a "correct" one for tying one's shoes and that mine is "wrong."

For what it's worth, I was told the same thing about a year back on the AA footwear thread- and the person who I offended actually put my photo next to another one underlined with "don't" and "do" captions. It greatly influenced my decision to curb my posts considerably. But apparently I was the only one who was defensive- everyone else thought his lecture was constructive and correct and told me to adapt...Life's funny, no??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads