• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
My experience has been quite different. Purchased two new ones in the last 6 years, and they have had the fewest issues of any cars we've owned. The CLS550 is going on 2.5 yrs, 12k miles, and hasn't had a SINGLE issue (knock wood).

C class and CLS not in the same league.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
My experience has been quite different. Purchased two new ones in the last 6 years, and they have had the fewest issues of any cars we've owned. The CLS550 is going on 2.5 yrs, 12k miles, and hasn't had a SINGLE issue (knock wood).
No offense, TC, and I'm certainly not in the Merc=bad camp, but 12k miles and not a Single issue? I should think not!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
No offense, TC, and I'm certainly not in the Merc=bad camp, but 12k miles and not a Single issue? I should think not!

Haha, well I realize that's not a lot of miles, but I still think it's pretty remarkable that it's virtually perfect. That has not been my experience with other high performance cars. I can't remember the last time I put a car in for service and they asked if I wanted them to look at anything in particular, and I said, "uh, sorry I can't think of anything."

And for those of you who were making fun of me when I bought the Range Rover, I'm proud to report: 3500 miles and not a SINGLE issue. LOL

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
^^^Now with Range Rovers it is a remarkable achievement

I've had 3 and never had a problem other than routine maintenance and a sunroof leak they fixed under warranty. I've put over 100K on the three combined. I have 9K on my new 2011 and I love it so far. Land Rovers require a lot of routine maintenance compared to the normal car but if you do all of that you are usually ok.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I must lead a charmed life. Not one problem for the duration of our Rover lease and we're on MB #2 and #3 and never had a problem.

Well, I lie. My GL has developed a slight buzz/rattle in the area of the passenger side A post at high speeds on rough roads. I'll get that fixed when I do my 20k service.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Going to look at the GL, LR4 and Sport this weekend. I see that most have had positive experiences with the MB and LR. I am no stranger to LR, as i had to give back my first LR3. I am leaning towards the LR4 as it seems to fit my needs. Thoughts on MB vs. LR? As stated in another post, I am disappointed in LR that they don't include all servicing with an 2011 LR4. Thanks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
^^ Going to look at the GL, LR4 and Sport this weekend. I see that most have had positive experiences with the MB and LR. I am no stranger to LR, as i had to give back my first LR3. I am leaning towards the LR4 as it seems to fit my needs. Thoughts on MB vs. LR? As stated in another post, I am disappointed in LR that they don't include all servicing with an 2011 LR4. Thanks.

Here's my calculus on those three:

LR4 = cheapest MSRP, far more off road capable than the GL (not that the GL isn't capable but that's not it's forte), interior room and comfort is lacking and spartan, slowest vehicle in the group.

Sport = roughly same MSRP as GL, very offroad capable, like LR4 small interior and rather spartan, the supercharged version = fast enough

GL = tons of interior room, comfy seating, better electronics, etc., (relatively) fast, best on road ride and handling, and I found the leasing program far superior in Dec 09 when I was shopping.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So apparently the valvetrain has some more-than-normal wear on my E30, so planning on unloading it before it gets any worse.

Only problem is I have no idea what to replace it with. Budget is around $5k CAD. Ideal wishlists include: 4 door, 4cyl, manual, leather, A/C, good handling.

Civics and other economy cars need not apply, every civic I've been in has terrible road/engine noise drone. However, I don't mind going older.

Was thinking an E36 318i 5spd, Merc 190E/C220/C230 W201/202, Infiniti P11 G20.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a w202 C230 with the little s/c'ed engine, maybe? One of the very last well-built MB's.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that my LR3 is spartan on the inside, but it feels very room with all the glass and tall stance. I think in the end for a car that I drive daily, but 10K a year it will come down to price. I am not sure if it is worth $200+ more to lease a GL than a LR4. We shall see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads