• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The alteration cost thread

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I've read on this site that it costs up to $500+ to tailor a suit to one's profile.

Is that for real? If so, is that what to expect in the conservative business dress or is that insane in many places in the USA?

I am looking for ballpark "what is reasonable" prices for tailoring a suit in your neck of the woods:

pants: take in/leave out
hemming pant length
sleeve take in/let out
shoulders
sides

Throw in what's important beyond that.

I'm looking for ballpark, I realize that NYC is different from Archbold, OH (where I grew up). But there is "reasonable" and there is not.

If there's a definitive thread already here, please just link me to it and I'm good. I searched around for a while here and came up empty but that doesn't mean I know it all, heh. I love the veterans here who have the institutional knowledge who can point me in the right directions...without wasting everyone else's time.

Thank you

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a trend of lots of new users starting new "The Definitive so-and-so Thread" threads.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Does that make it wrong? Or does that make it cool that new people are coming to the forum and wanting to improve their looks? (also, "definitive" in thread titles will make it easier for newbies who come later to search out answers instead of posting new threads).

I respect the vets' presence and experience. School me!

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't post "definitive" in your thread unless you're the one posting advice.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I see. I think us newbies were inspired by the pinned "definitive slim fit shirt thread" we see evey time we hit Men's Clothing. Not that it makes it right. Duly changed!

LooknGr8

Reaction score
So back to the original topic...what is reasonable to pay for alterations in your neck of the woods by a competent tailor/seamstress?

Shoe fetishisisisist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
So back to the original topic...what is reasonable to pay for alterations in your neck of the woods by a competent tailor/seamstress?

I don't know what certain things are supposed to cost but i picked up a lovely Hilfiger sportcoat on the Wednesday and dropped it off at the tailors the same day to have the sleeves taken up, he told me to pick it up on monday and quoted me £11. not sure what the going rate but that seems pretty good value to me, as long as he does a good job obviously.

Chris.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My costs are

$20 for the jacket
$20 for the sleeves
$20 for the trousers
=
$60 for the suit.

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
My costs are

$20 for the jacket
$20 for the sleeves
$20 for the trousers
=
$60 for the suit.

What is "the jacket" include for alterations? And trousers is hemming?

naatkins

Reaction score
My tailoress charges the following:

Jacket - take in chest and sleeves (narrow upper arm) $28

Pants - hem $10

Button - $2 each

Shirt - Tapering, not darting, opening the seam on the sides of the torso and arms and taking it in - $16

Shirt - hem $10

These are the only prices of her work I know, seeing as that's all I've had her do to my stuff.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
pants: take in/leave out
hemming pant length
sleeve take in/let out
shoulders
sides

In NYC at my regular tailor....

Waist - $15
Seat - $15
Cuffs/bottom - $10
Sleeves - $20
Taper waist - $50
Recutting pant legs - $75

In NYC at my tailor for more complicated surgeries...

Shoulders - $85
Shorten jacket length - $45
Lowering collar/fixing bunching in back center seam - $65
Everything else is either the same as the previous tailor or maybe a few bucks more.

zeero3

Reaction score
I was just charged $400 for the following work:
1) shorten sleeves from the shoulder
2) hem/cuff pants
3) shorten jacket length
4) bring in waist
5) move button placement so lapel lays against chest

Highly regarded tailor in San Francisco. Told beforehand he's worth the money and does excellent work. This price sound approximately correct???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads