• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner Recs in Chicago

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Please specify about the Peking duck place in Argyle.

Also Globe, is Tank in Argyle? Please tell me about it and tell me what you get. I don't mind Vietnamese at all. I do however find the cold, dry shredded pork to be disgusting.

Kyle please elaborate on this Thai place.

I think that he means sun wah, on broadway about half a block north of argyle on the east side. very good barbeque pork and duck, and a pretty good menu.

tank is

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-xe-tang-...aurant-chicago

people started calling it tank years ago and the name stuck. it might not be the very very best vietnamese in chicago, but it is very good, consistent and reasonably priced.

I am a big fan of pho, I also like the raw rolls, with vegies and chinese sausage. but I very often just go through the menu and pull out stuff that sounds good, I like the taste combinations and the vegetables in vietnamese food.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It's this tiny little shithole at the corners of lakeview/uptown/wrigleyville. Directly underneath the Sheridan red line station. I used to live there, used to eat there all the time. Always thought it was great, but never knew it had a pretty big following (Achatz said it was his favorite thai place in the city). Just pretty simple thai food, although they also have a secret menu you can ask for. Very well prepared, high quality product for an asian place, and they won't give you the round eye treatment like you often get in Chinatown.

I ate their once, I think that I found it through LTH.

we go to spoon thai in western sometimes

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
If you're going to tank noodle for some pho, for which it is pretty good----- although the broth has a little bit too much star anise for my liking, it's still the best pho in the city---- you should head across the street for a banh mi at Ba Le.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TAC is Grant Achatz's favorite Thai place. They have 3 menus... one Secret, and one written in Thai. I've not been. I really like Opart Thai. There are two locations. I've never been to TAC, but they don't have my favorite dish (prikh king). There's also the really fancy place that I refuse to go to on principle, but I have heard good things: http://www.arunsthai.com/

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please specify about the Peking duck place in Argyle.

I think Sun Wah is right.

It's this tiny little shithole at the corners of lakeview/uptown/wrigleyville. Directly underneath the Sheridan red line station. I used to live there, used to eat there all the time. Always thought it was great, but never knew it had a pretty big following (Achatz said it was his favorite thai place in the city). Just pretty simple thai food, although they also have a secret menu you can ask for. Very well prepared, high quality product for an asian place, and they won't give you the round eye treatment like you often get in Chinatown.

Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
TAC is Grant Achatz's favorite Thai place. They have 3 menus... one Secret, and one written in Thai. I've not been.

What does the secret menu get you? Do you just say "sup dude, can I have the secret menu?"

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to tank noodle for some pho, for which it is pretty good----- although the broth has a little bit too much star anise for my liking, it's still the best pho in the city---- you should head across the street for a banh mi at Ba Le.

I've eaten at Ba Le many, many times. Also checked out the french place as per your rec and it's my fav place for bau.

Going for Pho at Tank soon. Going to check out the Thai place.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Ahem ahem excuse me....

laugh.gif
My mistake. Glad you like La Patisserie.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Checked out the TAC Quick thai place

It was pretty good...I think some movement between dishes on the menu might be necessary but I would go back.

The jerky was a little less...jerky-like than I have had. Usually it runs from full on dried out (but still fresh tasting) to mostly dried with a little fresh meat at the center of the big pieces with a fair amount of heat from being dried with a rub of hot peppers. The ones at TAC were really good but they were mostly just cooked pieces of beef with the edges and corners feeling like jerky and everything else feeling like steak. They were not spicy at all (had sesame seeds on them instead of pepper) but instead had some sort of hot dipping sauce.

Food was good...but I will definitely order something else next time. Probably something strange from the secret menu like the pad thai in an "omelet"

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've eaten at Ba Le many, many times. Also checked out the french place as per your rec and it's my fav place for bau.

Going for Pho at Tank soon. Going to check out the Thai place.

let me know if you want to do lunch some time in the next 3 weeks. I'm always up for pho

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on best for 2 under $400? (all included)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kvc06
Anyone have an opinion on best for 2 under $400? (all included)

You could eat at the Bristol, get completely stuffed on amazing food, order a bangin bottle of champagne and a nice red with dinner for $400.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics