• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
oh, and BTW kenjiro0621, that plaza last boot in #8 is awesome! I have the same boot from Leathersoul with leather on the bottom. Living in Madison WI they would get more wear with the commando. I did recently have vibram's added so that I can wear them more often.

Plaza last is easily one of the best alden lasts - I managed to pre-order a NST blucher, boot and a captoe boot all on plaza and #8 from J-gilbert - can't wait for september ish!

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a new camera, so working on better pictures.

Alden x Leathersoul Pitt Boot in Shell:

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

Alden x Leathersoul Snuff Suede PT Flex Boot:

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kenjiro0621
I am considering to buy a pair of boot in Plaza, but am concerned a bit about the sizing AND the looks as well. I have a pair of Indy (Trubalance) in 6D and I guess I should go 1 half size up for Plaza (=6.5D).

I would like to have them snug, and definitely don't want have them big. Because all Alden Boots have their welts sticking out from the body for about 3/16~1/4" or so and they end up being bigger than other shoes in same size. I am short and don't want have my shoes to look too big. Since my shoe size is so small thus this welt/sizing issue is MAJOR considering the ratio between welt width and overall boot size/shape. My Indy in 6D is fine in terms of the fit and the look.

What's the reason they suggest to go 1 half size up compared to their Barrie, Trubalance or Modified? Just the width issue? Or the fit overall? Does anyone have any idea? Is Plaza supposed to fit right with some room in the toe? I wonder if I can go with same size as my Indy.

The Plaza last is far sleeker than the Barrie and Trubalance. The Plaza works very well on my flat feet (low instep too). Typically, you would buy your Brannock size; in my case I am 9D on the Plaza.

The Trubalance has a somewhat wide toebox - I wear an 8.5D and still find it relatively roomy. The last was originally designed for pronation and other pedorthic reasons.

The Barrie has a relatively high instep, I wear an 8.5D as well - low instep folk like myself might find it useful to insert a tongue pad.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Hey Alden lovers. I've created a Shoe Sizing Matrix for shoes, boots and sneakers. A lot of the people in the baller sneaker thread have contributed. The idea is to aggregate all shoe sizing information into a single place so that anyone with sizing questions can find their answers there without having to muck up these threads. Anyone can contribute to the sizing matrix directly. If you don't want to do it yourselves, it would be great if you could PM me what model aldens you have, the size and width, the lasts they are on and the outsole length in centimeters. A picture would be phenomenal too so as to avoid confusion on the model name alone. If you want to contribute directly, there are two fields for providing sizing info and a general description of the shoe. Here is the link to the shoe sizing guide. There are already a couple Alden entries in the Boots section. Hopefully we can make this a really useful resource.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
^ No I hadn't. Interesting. But it seems pretty subjective. I'm trying to capture actual measurements.

glimmertwins

Reaction score
God I want this Pitt boots in black so bad. They would be on their way to my house right now if my employer wouldn't have made a thousand dollar mistake on my last paycheck. Ugh....wonder if they would hold a pair for me for a week.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glimmertwins
God I want this Pitt boots in black so bad. They would be on their way to my house right now if my employer wouldn't have made a thousand dollar mistake on my last paycheck. Ugh....wonder if they would hold a pair for me for a week.
Credit Card?

AKMarkB

Reaction score
Changing the subject here. When re-soleing an Indy 403 can you spec a commando sole for an up charge?Or will they only replace it with a stock sole? Just curious.

Kenal0

Reaction score
My local shoe guy will do any sole I want. Not really necessary to get it done at Alden if you have a decent repair guy in your area.

Kenal0

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The commando sole is much better for weather. I put a vibram sole on (honey) and don't regret it one bit

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AKMarkB
Changing the subject here. When re-soleing an Indy 403 can you spec a commando sole for an up charge?Or will they only replace it with a stock sole? Just curious.
From my understanding, Alden can do that. I'm not sure if or by how much the price would increase by though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads