• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In need of personal advice on Marijuana

fleet on feet

Reaction score
For a while I have been curious about marijuana, I am a non-smoker right now, but I am questioning this. It has recently come to light that people who are more academically accomplished/respected or at a higher level than me in my sport (rowing) than me smoke. My question to you is will I notice academic downturn or a downturn in rowing if I smoke once every 2 weeks, probably on the weekend with no impending practice. If I did end up smoking I would only smoke from a bong or vaporizer, these seem to be the two methods causing the least harm to my lungs.

Im not looking for scientific papers, I could easily find those. Im looking for personal advice from people with experience. Thanks in advance

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Also, if anyone cares, I do occasionally drink in social situations because of the "liquid confidence" aspect. Does this hurt me in both aspects more than smoking would?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience both the negative results can be explained rationally: Drop in Academic performance 90% of the people I know who suffer from this do so because they choose to smoke instead of work. They also can't handle the stress of working hard due to increased dependence on the high. This will only occur if you become addicted or smoke regularly enough to "need" it. Mental and Physical Problems These will come into play after very regular and extended use. The negative effects such as "tripping" badly or developing paranoia are mostly conditioned. If you're terrified that someone will catch you smoking, then you're not going to enjoy it. The damaged lungs thing is also a smaller issue. I'm assuming that you train regularly and rowing is one **** of a workout. I would put money on the deep breathing exercises and cardio work out negating any effects of smoking a bong once a fortnight. I know footballers on 20 a day who can still outsprint the rest of their team. As with all things moderation will not harm you. Excess is a sure way to physical and mental pain, but its that way with everything; alcohol, fried food, drugs and women.

Bentley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fleet on feet
My question to you is will I notice academic downturn or a downturn in rowing if I smoke once every 2 weeks, probably on the weekend with no impending practice.

I don't think you'd notice any academic or physical downturn from smoking the amount you're describing. That being said, I wouldn't recommend doing it. It just becomes one more vice that one has to manage...probably not worth the trouble imho.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smoking that little bit of weed won't directly lead to the downturns you anticipate.
But, as marijuana is a documented "gateway drug" you'll certainly find both your academic and athletic performances in the ******* after you become hooked on heroin.

BP348

Reaction score
What happens at school and to rowing if you get busted buying pot?

You've gone this long without it, just keep doing what you're doing. It's not like if you start smoking pot somehow you will magically become a better rower.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
your not going to harm yourself trying it... I think alot of people in your shoes tend not to enjoy it and never touch it again.

I will say don't mix smoking with drinking, thats a great way to black out if your not heavily accustomed to both.

your unlikely to catch a buzz the first few times.

your likely to hack your lungs out on a bong... don't try to keep pace with those around you.

keep in mind that dope is trace-able in your system significantly longer than other drugs.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hmm, where to start. OK, a disclaimer. Everything I say is based on experience and not science. Science types may dispute it, and they will probably be right, but it won't be mirroring my experiences.

Once every two weeks is highly unlikely to do you any harm medically or academically, I don't think you are going to decimate your cardio by getting stoned on a Sunday night and watching 14 episodes of Family Guy.

Downsides...

1. weed does slow you down. Probably not once a fortnight, but the every day smokers I know do not tend to be the most motivated of individuals.
2. you put rowing way up top there, so the one thing to ponder is The Munchies. If you are a finely honed rowing machine, counting calories to the third decimal place for peak performance and so on, getting stoned off your face and loading up with Pringles, pizza and Pepsi is not ideal.
3. if they test you for it in whatever league you row in, it's not worth it.

Anyhow, if you've never been stoned, it's definitely an experience worth trying. I personally don't especially enjoy it, but hey, it's worth trying.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Hmmm I see the general agreement to be once in a while should be fine, but will I be able to keep it once in a while?

Matt- The level of rowing I participate as of now is not to the point where calories are obsessed over, it's just better to keep my weight in check for the times I pull; I also don't get tested.

BP348- My intention is not to become a better rower, it is an experience I would like have.

MGB- Thanks for the warnings lol

Blackhood- What you are saying does make sense, moderation really is key with all things.

Rube- Do I sense a bit of sarcasm with the gateway drug comment
wink.gif

Anyway I will keep this thread posted with details of my potential experiences to come.

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
someone who isn't me explained it like this:

I haven't lived long enough to compare the long term effects of alcohol vs. marijuana. From what I understand though, drinking damages your organs and kills brain cells while the long term effects of smoking are essentially none. The amount of actual smoke inhaled is small, and if you use a vaporizer this aspect is removed entirely. However I feel that sitting in a circle with friends and taking hits/rips is an important part of the experience; it is more visceral and ritualistic.

As for the short term effects, I experience a noticeable decline in initiative and mental acuity for a few days, mostly on the day after. I once smoked upwards of an eighth a day for about 2 weeks, I was mentally crippled through most of that and a few days afterwards. Now I limit myself to once a month because when I smoke I like to take it to hallucinogenic levels. But I'd say this. There's no reason not to try it once. Unless you have an addictive personality and lack of willpower you aren't going to get addicted. Set boundaries now, and calibrate once you have the experience.

Clearly drugs aren't going to help you be more productive, but you didn't need to be told that. It is an ends in itself and though I am technically no better for it, I definitely don't regret anything I've done.

Don't get caught, and make sure there isn't a chance you'll need to pass a piss test anytime soon.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
Are you saying your friend noticed a loss in mental function for the days afterword because of smoking or only because he smoked so much (1/8 a quite a bit).

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
His point was that large doses over long periods of time can have pretty significant deleterious effects in the short term. Smoking one night will, personally, produce a somewhat noticeable "fogginess" the day after. It takes my edge off. That's why being a pothead is bad: you are under this relatively minor, but constant effect. If I had to compete athletically or take a test the very next day I would probably abstain, otherwise I wouldn't worry. But many of my friends claim to not be able to detect much if at all. I am no doctor but perhaps it has to do with the fact that some THC will be stored in your fat cells. This is why it has such a significant detection period, it is slowly released and metabolized over the course of days-weeks (months in some extreme cases). For an active person with low body fat who only smokes once in a span of time, you could probably piss clean within days. Don't count on that fact, I'm just trying to illustrate that THC has some sort of half-life depending on how much you smoke and how fat/active you are. And like I said, calibrate. If you smoke once it's not going to meaningfully impact your life. Assess the effects objectively, adjust accordingly. I don't see it making much sense to plan to smoke every two weeks before you've even done it once (other than maybe setting an upper limit). edit, another disclaimer: Marijuana is in some senses a gateway drug. Further, some people have negative experiences their first time. I did; but it's also one of my most valued memories.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlbertCamus
...I once smoked upwards of an eighth a day for about 2 weeks, I was mentally crippled through most of that and a few days afterwards....

I'd file this under "no ****, Sherlock".

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the chemicals in it that can be harmful. If you are predisposed to mental illness, it can trigger onset or else cause them to develop.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am assuming you are in college right?

Keep in mind the times you will be applying to internships because some may drug test (and it would be around this time of year that most people are looking for internships). You probably won't know that they are going to require you to pee into a cup until you actually get an offer in which case it is too late.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads