• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Decent Tailor in Philadelphia?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of an older Italian tailor name De Angelis in Philly?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
They are two brothers, Len and Frank. Frank closed his store and relocated to Lens location.

(215) 348-3139

145 West State Street
Doylestown PA 18901

Very helpful. I'm based in Newtown and this is close to me. I had mixed luck at some other places.

akomisor

Reaction score
Does anyone recall what Royal Custom Tailors charges for basic hemming slacks? Need a few pairs taken up a touch and would like to get an idea what its gonna cost me. Thanks
-AK

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I droped off a suit, pants, a jacket and a coat and Centofani. I will update with results.

I have to say that his store looked like what I would imagine a good tailor store to look like--an organized confusion with half-made jackets on manikins books of swatches alongside books of styles. Also, plenty of volume in the store.

RFX35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I droped off a suit, pants, a jacket and a coat and Centofani. I will update with results.

I have to say that his store looked like what I would imagine a good tailor store to look like--an organized confusion with half-made jackets on manikins books of swatches alongside books of styles. Also, plenty of volume in the store.

I have a few suit jackets that I would like to have the waist taken in, any idea about how much he would charge? I was thinking about stopping by there tomorrow.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I believe its $25 for waist suppression.
I believe he was asking about Centofanti. Why not call him? Centofanti is much more than 25 for waist suppression though.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I believe he was asking about Centofanti. Why not call him?

Centofanti is much more than 25 for waist suppression though.

Last time I was at Centofanti (2years ago) for a waist suppression, it cost me ~$40.

cg35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
^^ Sounds interesting

Anybody know of a good tailor in the Suburban Wilmington area, or West Chester?

I'm blanking on his name, but my father uses a tailor in Newtown square (at the intersection of West Chester Pike and 252) who is very, very good. He's an older Italian guy who used to dress Frank Sinatra, and some of the other Jersey boys, but still has a good idea for contemporary cuts. My father get a lot of MTM stuff from him, and I've gotten a few things altered there. Not cheap, but very high quality work.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on Royal Custom as posted on Yelp...
I have been using Jin Kee for a few years now and up until this past weekend would have given him an excellent review. As previously stated he does fine work but he has a lot to learn about setting proper expectations and customer service. He rarely ever has things ready when he states they will be. This is extremely frustrating when traveling down to the city from the suburbs. Normally it wasn't a huge deal as I had other stuff to bring down to him.
To make a long story short he promised me that my stuff would be ready and of course it wasn't. It is important to note that he had some of my items for 6 weeks. He then said to give him until 5PM. I don't like him rushing b/c that is how mistakes are made.
Over the course of my time using him I have seen several clients ask for their clothing back and refuse to use him again based on his empty promises.
Going forward I would never use him again nor recommend him. He only cares about money and could care less about his customers. His prices are decent and his work is good but not worth the hassle. It is also important to note that there is no air conditioning and the shop has an odor of a mix between moth balls and BO. Buyer beware.

I am now trying out Armen's Tailor shop in Mayunk.

I have used Centofanti in the past. Really good work but def pricey!

standard40

Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread, but I am looking for some up to date information. I am getting married in september and need to get some work done on a tuxedo I just purchased. Its a side vented model and I will need a little side suppression, sleeves shortened just a bit, and pants hemmed (pics in my profile).

Who can I trust to do this work? Its my wedding so I need it to be done right. A lot of people on this forum recommend centofanti, but I have read that he passed away last year. Is his shop still open and is it still any good? Any other recommendations?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads