• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a proxy for the barneys ware house sale in LA if anyone might be interested
smile.gif

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Going to westside tavern this weekend.

That's the one under the Landmark, correct? I keep hearing good things about it, but it just seems so 'meh'...located next to a mediocre mall/Barnes Noble. I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover though.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I've been in LA for 4 days, i've eaten here so far:
Langers
El Cholo
Tar Pit
Animal
Umami
Tinga

Still another 4 days to go.

Not a bad list.

Try to get into Pizzaria or OSteria Mozza, Angelini Osteria, and though I loathe the scene at Katsu-ya, it still has amazing sushi. Or Nobu.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Osteria Mozza was fantastic, one of the top meals I've had in my short life.

Everyone needs to check out the Mike Kelley exhibit at the Gagosian Gallery. Pics and stuff in my tumblr.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^green pasta with the lamb ragu was incredible
Originally Posted by CityHunter
That's the one under the Landmark, correct? I keep hearing good things about it, but it just seems so 'meh'...located next to a mediocre mall/Barnes Noble. I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover though.
A great burger, flatbreads, oysters, veggies etc. Going to check it out this weekend. Had golden state this past sunday for pickup to go to watch the superbowl and it was great as usual and consistent, fries sauce is the best.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
Not a bad list. Try to get into Pizzaria or OSteria Mozza, Angelini Osteria, and though I loathe the scene at Katsu-ya, it still has amazing sushi. Or Nobu.
Pssshh...drive to little tokyo. Go to Restaurant Komasa, Hama sushi, or Sushi-Gen. I live near Isakya by Katsu-ya, close to Nobu. The real deal is in Little Tokyo right downtown. Hands down. What you mentioned is pretty good, but not authentic. Sushi Park on sunset is in a strip mall and is great as well, though twice the price of sushi downtown. Real deal, no americanized rolls.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Pssshh...drive to little tokyo. Go to Restaurant Komasa, Hama sushi, or Sushi-Gen. I live near Isakya by Katsu-ya, close to Nobu. The real deal is in Little Tokyo right downtown. Hands down. What you mentioned is pretty good, but not authentic.

Sushi Park on sunset is in a strip mall and is great as well, though twice the price of sushi downtown. Real deal, no americanized rolls.

I don't much like traditional sushi places it gets a bit boring. For the best I go to asanebo.

The four of us ended up dropping over 900 with not much alcohol for my birthday so we're still trying to recover from that.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Sushi, has anybody been to R23? I pass it every morning to get coffee (on the way to Novel Cafe) and it looks interesting, if only for the cardboard chairs

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I don't much like traditional sushi places it gets a bit boring. For the best I go to asanebo.

The four of us ended up dropping over 900 with not much alcohol for my birthday so we're still trying to recover from that.

I was going to say Asanebo or Sasabune.

The quality at Nobu, any of the Katsu-ya resturants, Noazawa, etc is as good if not better than anywhere in LA.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Japanese, anyone ever been to Nan Ban Kan in W. LA on Santa Monica and basically Sawtelle? AMAZING Yakatori spot, they import their charcoal from Japan, great dishes and excellent quality. Highly reccomend it.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer
I was going to say Asanebo or Sasabune. The quality at Nobu, any of the Katsu-ya resturants, Noazawa, etc is as good if not better than anywhere in LA.
The quality at Katu-ya is not up to par with any of the Little Tokyo sushi places I mentioned. It's good, but not the same. I really don't see that. There is something to be said for every component of sushi: rice, seaweed, fish... Katsu-Ya makes their rolls with rice on the outside of the seaweed, which is an instant red flag to me. Don't get me wrong, Katsu-Ya is decent if you are near one and don't mind the scene...but it's not great. I'm just not much for the pretentious scene a lot of these sushi places attract. I guess I like the humble authenticity of the places I mentioned. But I really only go for nigiri and sashimi, so I guess I have different tastes. In my opinion you get better fish downtown for less $$. Sushi Park on sunset is really good. If you want to drop a lot of change, I think the best place I've been that's not downtown is Sushi Sushi in Beverly Hills. No trendy rolls, just authentic sushi in a low-key but still very high end atmosphere. And a great Omakase menu. http://www.sushisushibh.com/ I'm not impressed with Nobu or Katsu-Ya. Sasabune and Asanebo look great, and I can't say I've ever been. Those will be on my list. Thanks.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality at Katu-ya is not up to par with any of the Little Tokyo sushi places I mentioned. It's good, but not the same. I really don't see that.

There is something to be said for every component of sushi: rice, seaweed, fish...

Katsu-Ya makes their rolls with rice on the outside of the seaweed, which is an instant red flag to me. Don't get me wrong, Katsu-Ya is decent if you are near one and don't mind the scene...but it's not great.

I'm just not much for the pretentious scene a lot of these sushi places attract. I guess I like the humble authenticity of the places I mentioned. But I really only go for nigiri and sashimi, so I guess I have different tastes. In my opinion you get better fish downtown for less $$.

Sushi Park on sunset is really good.

If you want to drop a lot of change, I think the best place I've been that's not downtown is Sushi Sushi in Beverly Hills. No trendy rolls, just authentic sushi in a low-key but still very high end atmosphere. And a great Omakase menu.

http://www.sushisushibh.com/

I'm not impressed with Nobu or Katsu-Ya. Sasabune and Asanebo look great, and I can't say I've ever been. Those will be on my list. Thanks.

I hear you and agree with the bullshit Katsu-ya crowd. But I actually go to either the Encino or Studio City ones, not the SBE ones. Also, the Katsu-ya offshot on Ventura in Studio City, Kiwame I think it's called, awazing, excellent quality fish and no bull **** scene. Best Blue Fin ive ever had.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Sushi Park on sunset is really good. If you want to drop a lot of change, I think the best place I've been that's not downtown is Sushi Sushi in Beverly Hills. No trendy rolls, just authentic sushi in a low-key but still very high end atmosphere. And a great Omakase menu. http://www.sushisushibh.com/
This is hilarious, I just drove down sunset and stopped at a light to see sushi park (cramped little space across from the gas station or some **** on north side right?) and I joked to my buddy that the place was good. He said really? I said nah just kidding made it up lol. I've been to sushi sushi and was going to recommend it. A little boring for me but great quality. We went with my japanese friend which is actually his favorite spot. After that we went to Mori which is my 2nd fav, then we went to asanebo all on different nights of course. My buddy was very impressed though it's not a traditional nigiri/sashimi place and liked it a great deal. You need to order the house specialties or you won't get the best experience. Anyway, very impressed with westside tavern. I've grown tired of the hillstone spots and this is a good alternative. Fried green bean app was good, mac and cheese w/crispy onions had a delicious sharp cheese profile, flat breads nice, burger is excellent if you like arugula/caramelized onion type of burgers. The egg bun is from la brea bakery, ***** on comme ca. The juiciest burger I've had and very tasty. I would say quality of the burger is the best I've had with gs a notch below, but flavor profile of gs is one notch above for me since I prefer bacon and not grilled onions. The lamb dip was excellent according to my buddy. Highly recommended and very reasonable pricing. Had some lagavulin with the meal, perfect. Oh yeah, the bar is ******* very impressive, scotch guys take note. No flavored vodkas here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads