• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underrated US Cities

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Atlanta is overrated by every black person in America.

Not by the gay black men
boxing[1].gif

Mr. White

Reaction score
Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out **** hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next **** hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out **** hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next **** hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?

That's great and all, but where would you live?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
I'm not surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful. Anyone else been there? I was only there for a day, and could definitely see how it could get boring. Other than that I'd say that Birmingham, AL and Montgomery, AL are both underrated.
I'm pretty sure they still hang blacks in WV

And subsist on coal and moonshine

Not certain but I don't want to put my neck on the line

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.
I spent an evening in Portland and enjoyed it a lot. Walked around: bought some pottery form a gallery that does some awesome crystalline stuff, drooled in some estate jewelry stores, liked that the kitchen/housewares stores also had wine, had a good scotch in a little bar, then had a good dinner. Missed out on going to the museum, but I'd definitely enjoy going back. ~ H

SD1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.

Portland is a beautiful city in the summer. I went to a few good live music venues there as well.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
today i saw a thing that was like the 5 most miserable cities in the US. Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Sacramento were all on the list. my town is in the middle of stockton and modesto, which are in the middle of merced and sacramento... fuckin hell lol

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
today i saw a thing that was like the 5 most miserable cities in the US. Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Sacramento were all on the list. my town is in the middle of stockton and modesto, which are in the middle of merced and sacramento... fuckin hell lol

America's top miserable cities (pretty BS IMO
eh.gif
)

1. Stockton, CA
2. Miami, FL
3. Merced, CA
4. Modesto, CA
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Memphis, TN
7. Chicago, IL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Vallejo, CA
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Flint, MI
12. Toledo, OH
13. Fort Lauderdale, FL
14. Youngstown, OH
15. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, D.C.
17. Fresno, CA
18. Salinas, CA
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Bakersfield, CA

Source: Forbes.

matt22616

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
America's top miserable cities (pretty BS IMO
eh.gif
)

1. Stockton, CA
2. Miami, FL
3. Merced, CA
4. Modesto, CA
5. Sacramento, CA
6. Memphis, TN
7. Chicago, IL
8. West Palm Beach, FL
9. Vallejo, CA
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Flint, MI
12. Toledo, OH
13. Fort Lauderdale, FL
14. Youngstown, OH
15. Detroit, MI
16. Washington, D.C.
17. Fresno, CA
18. Salinas, CA
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Bakersfield, CA

Source: Forbes.

lolwut

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago, Washington DC, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Sacramento, and probably a few others make no sense being on that list.
eh.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Chicago, Washington DC, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Sacramento, and probably a few others make no sense being on that list.
eh.gif

I love Miami, but when you get away from the handful of nice areas, the poverty is pretty bad . The weather's nice though, and I love the culture. Washington DC is similar. The average Georgetown resident is probably very happy. The average Anacostian, probably not. FTL just sucks. Not quite as poor as Miami, but very scattered, culturally speaking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads