• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My poor man's dress watch: Bulova 96B120. Less than $100.

Bulova-96B120-.jpg

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Okay so here's one of my poor man's watches. Lucian Piccard Automatic

1296855844597.jpg

Lucien Piccard, way back when, was a nice mid tier company. I had a beautiful solid 18k thin, auto Sea Shark back in my vintage collecting days. The movement had been thorougly reworked by a friend that was a watchmaker.

Mike

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.

41oS940OGqL._SL380_.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Lucien Piccard, way back when, was a nice mid tier company. I had a beautiful solid 18k thin, auto Sea Shark back in my vintage collecting days. The movement had been thorougly reworked by a friend that was a watchmaker.

Mike

I remember reading somewhere (perhaps Esq. Mag) about a vintage watch collector who had and LP once owned by Marlon Brando IMSC and he, the collector, talked about the history of LP. Now of course my LP is not of that caliber but I love its aesthetic and it keep pretty good time too
smile.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
My watch for small-timer days is a Timex Easy Reader. I bought it at Target on sale for $23 and replaced the strap with a nice glove leather band for $12. It's beautiful and simple and I like it.

41oS940OGqL._SL380_.jpg

i have the exact same watch. that and my dad's old rolex. when i saw the thread title, i thought "Oh good" because i've been on the fence between a seiko 5 and another Timex ... then i thought
ffffuuuu.gif

Beetleything

Reaction score
I was ignored in the Watch Appreciation thread......
although not expensive i thought it looked cool and matched the dials on my car.....

also thought it looked a bit like this....

the dials on my car are not Heuer by the way---the new VW Golf.....which look similar
eh.gif

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
What I find odd is that you can't walk into a store and buy a Grand Seiko (actually I think you now can in Toronto, perhaps? They've opened a standalone seiko store). But at the same time ... you _also_ can't walk in to a store and buy an inexpensive seiko 5.
The Seiko store on Bloor sells GS, along with a few other models I rarely see on the internet in the $500-$2000 range (giant chrono monstrosities). I doubt it's profitable to sell the low end models, especially at that location.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
This is my first watch. I'm only 21 and on a very tight budget, but haters can hate. I think it looks very nice for $72, and from what I've heard it will last quite awhile with Seiko's in house movement.
SNK795K1-1.jpg
snk795k1-1.jpg

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
This is my first watch. I'm only 21 and on a very tight budget, but haters can hate. I think it looks very nice for $72, and from what I've heard it will last quite awhile with Seiko's in house movement.

Damn good choice and a good investment.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery

41oS940OGqL._SL380_.jpg

Good move, I am going to see what my local target has. J Crew has some good bands, although sometimes they can be pricey. Was it easy finding a band that fit correctly?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not bother spending the extra money. The one you have looks great and if it has the co-axial then there is no need at all.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I would not bother spending the extra money. The one you have looks great and if it has the co-axial then there is no need at all.

Thanks - that's where I'm leaning. Plus the orange numerals of the PO may be fun but could also be a little too uh orange for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads