• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch suggestions needed - for a girl (who generally prefers men's watch styles)

otheme

Reaction score
Your requirement of in-house movement and a Swiss/German name really limits the amount of choice you can have. Nowadays even watches marked as "Swiss Made" are not truly made in Switzerland. Many "Swiss" watches use Chinese movements polished/refinished/cased in Switzerland so they can be called "Swiss Made." If you don't mind relaxing that a bit (e.g., an ETA/Valijoux or equivalent movement, and a non-Swiss/German name), then with $5k you can probably get 5-10 watches to match different occasions and clothing styles, and you won't have to worry about scratching them.
Originally Posted by Raven
Everyone, I was wondering if you can help me out? I'm trying to make a watch purchase (lets say $2000-4000, for the right watch $5000+). I'm a girl, but I don't like the majority of women's watches (because they're too bling'd out, quartz movement, too 'cute', etc.) so I'm open to looking at men's watches too. Also I'm under 30 and working in a corporate setting - so I'd like a watch I can wear for that, or pretty much anywhere. Criteria: Automatic Preferably in-house movement leather strap or steel is fine I like a bigger watch... so around 34mm and up Silver preferably over gold, and generally not a fan of two-tone Preferably something not too common (I know Rolex is decent, but I guess it seems like too obvious of a choice...) Swiss or German Visible back of the watch would be nice (sorry if I don't know the proper term) but not necessary So far I've been most interested in IWC and Glashutte Original (though the latter, I haven't been able to find anything for less than $5000 so far). I was wondering if anyone has any brands to suggest, and also for the two I've mentioned - are there specific models I should look at. I've also looked into JLC but not as extensively as the other two, so I'm a bit new to what's available w/ them. One other one I looked at is Frederique Constant - supposedly an up-and-comer, but I'm a bit wary of them not having fully establish themselves yet. I also looked at Panerai - but I think it's too casual for my first watch... and also likely above my budget. I've also tried to avoid brands where I've read and been told are generally 'overpriced' for what they are offering (e.g., Longines, Tag, etc.) based on my price points, though I am open to suggestions. Lastly, I'm heading to HK and maybe other parts of Asia soon - I was wondering if it's better to buy over there than in North America? Thanks everyone! (sorry if the post is a bit long)

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
Your requirement of in-house movement and a Swiss/German name really limit the amount of choice you can have. Nowadays even watches marked as "Swiss Made" are not truly made in China. Many "Swiss" watches use Chinese movements polished/refinished/cased in Switzerland so they can be called "Swiss Made."

If you don't mind relaxing that a bit (e.g., an ETA/Valijoux or equivalent movement, and a non-Swiss/German name), then with $5k you can probably get 5-10 watches to match different occasions and clothing styles, and you won't have to worry about scratching them.

Yup, in-house is only a preference, but not an end-all-be-all criterion. Because it's quite difficult to find in that price-point.

If I take that out of the equation, which watch brands & models would you suggest?

otheme

Reaction score
I am going to propose something that is a lot cheaper than your budget, but nevertheless has a great value. These watches use a Chinese movement ST18, which is a clone of ETA 2892 (the movement used in many $5k+ Swiss watches, including Omega's Seamaster). Here is a detailed comparison of the two movements: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/st1...ew-257999.html Here is one for starter (I assume you are looking for a clean style). The price is around $300.
236882d1259833479-new-sea-gull-m198s-here-m198snetsmall0001-jpg
236883d1259833479-new-sea-gull-m198s-here-m198snetsmall0002-jpg
236884d1259833479-new-sea-gull-m198s-here-m198snetsmall0003-jpg
Yup, in-house is only a preference, but not an end-all-be-all criterion. Because it's quite difficult to find in that price-point. If I take that out of the equation, which watch brands & models would you suggest?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I've been most interested in IWC and Glashutte Original (though the latter, I haven't been able to find anything for less than $5000 so far). I was wondering if anyone has any brands to suggest, and also for the two I've mentioned - are there specific models I should look at.
I own the GO PanoMaticDate (wearing it today!). I paid under $5,000 for it, and I'm pretty sure I paid under $4,500. I bought it off the TimeZone Sales Corner. This was over six years ago -- my watch is one of the very first PanoMaticDates to hit the U.S. -- so I'm not sure if this price point is still accurate.

It's a great dress watch.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JLC pictured Is lovely... One of the watches on my wish list. I know that many watch aficionados will turn their noses up at the Cartiers, but given your budget, they're worth a look. From a design perspective, some of them are certainly quite timeless and elegant.

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
I am going to propose something that is a lot cheaper than your budget, but nevertheless has a great value. These watches use a Chinese movement ST18, which is a clone of ETA 2892 (the movement used in many $5k+ Swiss watches, including Omega's Seamaster). Here is a detailed comparison of the two movements: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/st1...ew-257999.html Here is one for starter (I assume you are looking for a clean style). The price is around $300.
Thanks otheme. It actually does look like a really good deal. Though I find it weird they picked such an odd name... If I were going to get something for around that price range, I think I would look at the Seiko Spirit instead... like this one: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/re...ic-268917.html
img1443g.jpg
img1421j.jpg

Lagavulin16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
This.

Timeless, in-house movement, exposition caseback, and can be dressed up or down by going with different strap options. There are multiple sizes available, so depending on your wrist circumference you may consider checking out the standard men's model. Reversos are also good buys on the secondary market.

+1 my wife has been wearing my Platinum Reverso RDM for years now. Perfect size for her and she gets tons of compliments on her great taste. It is timeless and has everything you seek.

Don't be afraid of used. Do a search for European Watch on google. They are based in Boston and I have bought from them in the past. They are terrific and extremely nice to deal with. Let them know what you are looking for and your price and they will work with you.

Another great house to consider is Girrard Perrageaux. Their 1945 and Tonneau line is timeless and beautiful and would meet your needs as well. European Watch has some on their site as well.

I personally prefer the look of a square, rectangle or tonneau shape on a woman. It always looks beautiful.

My two cents.

Good luck.

otheme

Reaction score
Sea-gull is one of the few manufacturers that still produce in-house movements and is one of the the largest movement suppliers in the world. The Seiko has a very similar style, but its movement is one grade lower than the Sea-gull's. The Seiko movement beats at 21600 bph (six beats per second), whereas the Sea-gull movements beats at 28800 bph (eight beats per second). At the same price, the Sea-gull gives you a lot more watch than the Seiko. Here is a comparison between 21600 and 28800 movements:
Thanks otheme. It actually does look like a really good deal. Though I find it weird they picked such an odd name... If I were going to get something for around that price range, I think I would look at the Seiko Spirit instead... like this one: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/re...ic-268917.html

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex SS Submariner. Lots of Hollywood women are sporting this.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this the watch i will someday buy
b0.jpg
b3.jpg
stowa antea at 1g definitely within your budget i might splurge for the cosc movement

wetnose

Reaction score
img1443g.jpg

Stunning design. Does anyone know where I can buy this watch?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alphaO888
Any watch that is over $500 can be considered "overpriced" and that tends to be where you end up paying for the name.

For $5000 you won't really find anything in the top watch houses that isn't entry level with any complications and you definitely will not find any in house movements at that price point.

I disagree with these statements.

"Overpriced", of course, is a matter of opinion, but there are definitely watches under $5000 with in-house movements.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few Dornbluth pictures on SF and really liked it. Would it be available in HK though? (as for size, if they do something 40mm and under, I would definitely take a look. Above 40mm might be tough on my wrist).

Dornbluth are wonderful.
You might email them ([email protected]) to see if they have a dealer in HK.
None are listed on their dealer list.

Didn't you mention also a GO (that you posted a link to, but now I can't find it) that was similar to one you had seen in a store? I think the model you saw in the store might have been the GO Senator Chronograph XL.

SenatorChronographXL-1.jpg

See also here for white dials with blue hands, if that might appeal to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads