• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Prozac, I start tomorrow

Jarandas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
As 2 of my friends are psichiatrist both have told me how bad are some of them. One flagrant case, a striper gay GOGO on wynstroll was told to have Asperger sindrome,that is like social phobia. A gogo can't be that, is like a cat being a dog....

worship.gif

Knisse

Reaction score
Perhaps it is very different where you live, but here we can just change doctors if we find ours incompent, lack of trust or anything.

Best of luck to you

It seems like i am the only one on styleforum that has never been on any medication

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Psychotropic drugs are overprescribed and they are nothing more than a bandaid fix. You’ll go from drug to drug without ever addressing the real the issue. Is that what you really want?

I am yet to come across a person who hadn’t a worry in the world one day and was depressed the next (despite the drug companies colluding on keeping the financially rewarding myth going). It just doesn't work that way.

Depression is an unhealthy accumulation of 'stuff'. The feelings associated with depression could also stem from a myriad of health issues, but the individual knows their situation better than anyone else, and you clearly are aware that you have some ‘stuff’ to work through.

Your best bet is to sort through your ‘stuff’ with a trained professional. Find one you trust and connect with. You have to have the willpower and the desire to want to change and manage the past. There is only so much a trained professional can do without your full cooperation.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Psychotropic drugs are overprescribed and they are nothing more than a bandaid fix. You’ll go from drug to drug without ever addressing the real the issue. Is that what you really want?
This is ignorant and simply not true. While these drugs may be over prescribed, they are not just a "band aid fix" and ARE helpful to millions of people. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and a persons recovery and depression can be helped immensely and even depend on help from medication.
I am yet to come across a person who hadn’t a worry in the world one day and was depressed the next (despite the drug companies colluding on keeping the financially rewarding myth going). It just doesn't work that way.
Not sure what this means.
Depression is an unhealthy accumulation of 'stuff'.
Depression, i.e. chronic depression can be a combination of things. One of which is a chemical imbalance which can't be overcome with "willpower" or just going to a therapist.
The feelings associated with depression could also stem from a myriad of health issues, but the individual knows their situation better than anyone else, and you clearly are aware that you have some ‘stuff’ to work through.
And with a doctors help, medication can be very helpful, even necessary to work through those issues.
Your best bet is to sort through your ‘stuff’ with a trained professional. Find one you trust and connect with. You have to have the willpower and the desire to want to change and manage the past. There is only so much a trained professional can do without your full cooperation.
I agree with most of this (the "willpower" part is a bit sketchy) and keep in mind that doctors are trained professionals who can prescribe medication which can be very helpful in resolving one's issues.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
There is no laboratory test to diagnose depression. It is just a doctor's opinion. An individual could play it up and get diagnosed with depression. The "˜chemical imbalance' argument is dubious.

aizan

Reaction score
i would simply recommend making changes in your daily routines. write down the things you do, sort out the major activities, and think about what works and doesn't work for you. for example, if you're a night owl, give the early bird thing a try. i never got a damn thing done on meds because i just didn't care.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no laboratory test to diagnose depression. It is just a doctor's opinion. An individual could play it up and get diagnosed with depression. The "˜chemical imbalance' argument is dubious.

facepalm.gif

Merlino

Reaction score
Ordered a jar of 5-HTP supplement to give it a try. Will report back.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
Ordered a jar of 5-HTP supplement to give it a try. Will report back.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Spalla,

I HIGHLY recommend a book called Spark, The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. Written by John Ratey, a professor at Harvard Medical School. It can change your life.

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Good luck.

Thanks. It's not that I really feel depressed but I am prone to being sombre and moody from time to time. I also have trouble falling asleep at night and it's supposed to help with that as well. We'll see!

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i highly doubt most doctors would compromise the safety or wellbeing of his patient just so he can make a few extra bucks.

rotflmao.gif

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
I hardly doubt anyone here is qualified to give you specific, sound advice regarding depression or other medical ailment. The best advice anyone here can give is that of, "everyone and every case is different; that's why we have professionals". If you are a professional in a related field, please speak up and make your credentials clear. Otherwise, what you'll get is usually a half-assed google search, wikipedia, anecdotal, or complete bullshit from people on the internet.

As for going to see a profession: other than a psychiatrist, which is sounds like you have already visited, it probably won't hurt to go see an endocrinologist to make sure you don't have a hormone problem, and then a neurologist. Before going on what could be a longterm drug treatment plan, first make sure there is nothing physically wrong with you. Also, if you are taking other prescriptions, ask a pharmacist (who are better qualified typically than a GP) if there are any possible drug interactions or side-effects that might be causing your symptoms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics