Opinions of Prozac, I start tomorrow

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by SpallaCamiccia, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jarandas

Jarandas Senior member

As 2 of my friends are psichiatrist both have told me how bad are some of them. One flagrant case, a striper gay GOGO on wynstroll was told to have Asperger sindrome,that is like social phobia. A gogo can't be that, is like a cat being a dog....

[​IMG]

2. beonrealitytv

beonrealitytv New Member

Be prepared for a dry mouth and headaches.

3. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Perhaps it is very different where you live, but here we can just change doctors if we find ours incompent, lack of trust or anything.

Best of luck to you

It seems like i am the only one on styleforum that has never been on any medication

4. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

Psychotropic drugs are overprescribed and they are nothing more than a bandaid fix. You’ll go from drug to drug without ever addressing the real the issue. Is that what you really want?

I am yet to come across a person who hadn’t a worry in the world one day and was depressed the next (despite the drug companies colluding on keeping the financially rewarding myth going). It just doesn't work that way.

Depression is an unhealthy accumulation of 'stuff'. The feelings associated with depression could also stem from a myriad of health issues, but the individual knows their situation better than anyone else, and you clearly are aware that you have some ‘stuff’ to work through.

Your best bet is to sort through your ‘stuff’ with a trained professional. Find one you trust and connect with. You have to have the willpower and the desire to want to change and manage the past. There is only so much a trained professional can do without your full cooperation.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Psychotropic drugs are overprescribed and they are nothing more than a bandaid fix. You’ll go from drug to drug without ever addressing the real the issue. Is that what you really want?
    This is ignorant and simply not true. While these drugs may be over prescribed, they are not just a "band aid fix" and ARE helpful to millions of people. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and a persons recovery and depression can be helped immensely and even depend on help from medication.
    I am yet to come across a person who hadn’t a worry in the world one day and was depressed the next (despite the drug companies colluding on keeping the financially rewarding myth going). It just doesn't work that way.
    Not sure what this means.
    Depression is an unhealthy accumulation of 'stuff'.
    Depression, i.e. chronic depression can be a combination of things. One of which is a chemical imbalance which can't be overcome with "willpower" or just going to a therapist.
    The feelings associated with depression could also stem from a myriad of health issues, but the individual knows their situation better than anyone else, and you clearly are aware that you have some ‘stuff’ to work through.
    And with a doctors help, medication can be very helpful, even necessary to work through those issues.
    Your best bet is to sort through your ‘stuff’ with a trained professional. Find one you trust and connect with. You have to have the willpower and the desire to want to change and manage the past. There is only so much a trained professional can do without your full cooperation.
    I agree with most of this (the "willpower" part is a bit sketchy) and keep in mind that doctors are trained professionals who can prescribe medication which can be very helpful in resolving one's issues.

6. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

There is no laboratory test to diagnose depression. It is just a doctor's opinion. An individual could play it up and get diagnosed with depression. The "˜chemical imbalance' argument is dubious.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

8. aizan

aizan Senior member

i would simply recommend making changes in your daily routines. write down the things you do, sort out the major activities, and think about what works and doesn't work for you. for example, if you're a night owl, give the early bird thing a try. i never got a damn thing done on meds because i just didn't care.

9. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

There is no laboratory test to diagnose depression. It is just a doctor's opinion. An individual could play it up and get diagnosed with depression. The "˜chemical imbalance' argument is dubious.

[​IMG]

10. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

Ordered a jar of 5-HTP supplement to give it a try. Will report back.

11. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Ordered a jar of 5-HTP supplement to give it a try. Will report back.

Good luck.

12. 89826

89826 Senior member

Spalla,

I HIGHLY recommend a book called Spark, The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. Written by John Ratey, a professor at Harvard Medical School. It can change your life.

13. Merlino

Merlino Senior member

Good luck.

Thanks. It's not that I really feel depressed but I am prone to being sombre and moody from time to time. I also have trouble falling asleep at night and it's supposed to help with that as well. We'll see!

14. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

i highly doubt most doctors would compromise the safety or wellbeing of his patient just so he can make a few extra bucks.

[​IMG]

15. AlmostFullBenefits

AlmostFullBenefits Senior member

I hardly doubt anyone here is qualified to give you specific, sound advice regarding depression or other medical ailment. The best advice anyone here can give is that of, "everyone and every case is different; that's why we have professionals". If you are a professional in a related field, please speak up and make your credentials clear. Otherwise, what you'll get is usually a half-assed google search, wikipedia, anecdotal, or complete bullshit from people on the internet.

As for going to see a profession: other than a psychiatrist, which is sounds like you have already visited, it probably won't hurt to go see an endocrinologist to make sure you don't have a hormone problem, and then a neurologist. Before going on what could be a longterm drug treatment plan, first make sure there is nothing physically wrong with you. Also, if you are taking other prescriptions, ask a pharmacist (who are better qualified typically than a GP) if there are any possible drug interactions or side-effects that might be causing your symptoms.