• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

Montauk

Reaction score
Personally, I don't find the breast pocket to be a good place for any kind of wallet. Even the slimmest/smallest model inevitably introduces a hard line into what should be one of the most soft and shaped parts of a coat--the waist. I find the "cigarette" pocket on the lower left quarter to be the most useful pocket for keeping lumpy things (e.g. cigarettes, phone, wallet) and wish my coats had one on the right side as well.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the most successful viral marketing campaign in luxury designer goods history

i hope foo and carla are paid well for their services

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do TPF members feel about Hermes bags with their tags cut off? You're into the history and the craftsmanship and the smell, no? So it wouldn't make a difference?

Here on SF people still obsess over Tom Ford clothing even when their tags are redded and cut.

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
How do TPF members feel about Hermes bags with their tags cut off? You're into the history and the craftsmanship and the smell, no? So it wouldn't make a difference?

Here on SF people still obsess over Tom Ford clothing even when their tags are redded and cut.

There's no tag cutting. The bags are either embossed or heat stamped with the "Hermès Paris Made in France" trademark, and the cut and style of the bag itself is identifier enough.

When they have their legendary sample sales in Paris and NYC, the leather goods are stamped with an "S" to indicated they came from the sale, thus preventing a return to the boutique for a full refund.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cakeymakeybakey
And a forum where men wax poetic about Edward Green and John Lobb shoes, the relative merits of single- vs. double-breasted suit jackets, and whether a gentleman matches his socks to his trousers or to his mood isn't? That's what makes it so awesome.
+1 Btw - welcome. While I didn't sign up for a membership, I read a couple of pages of that thread on PF. You were clearly the most reasonable voice there, and the earlier poster who came in calling us all jerks was, I guess, just an anomaly (who uses words like 'meow' in their day-to-day speech anyway?). Side note - Good insight inferring back then that the forum culture here is very different. I found it a little acerbic at first a couple of years ago as well, but it grows on you; plus, when it comes down to what matters (financial transactions on the buying and selling forum - that has more consequence than idle comments) the guys here are gentlemen more than I've seen in any one population subset.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrStrangelove
hermes33qpd.jpg

Quoting...just cause.

If it isn't the right color, Foo will want to shorten it in a few years so it can be carried wherever.

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
And if you do mind me asking, how much did the wallet cost?

What is the value of an internet celebrity product placement? For all of the attention that Foo has bestowed upon H, the OneWallet should be complimentary.

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marin
What is the value of an internet celebrity product placement? For all of the attention that Foo has bestowed upon H, the OneWallet should be complimentary.

Even Kim Kardashian and Posh Spice don't get their H bags comped, and the publicity they generate for Hermès far surpasses foo's 50-page thread and Google search hijacking.
laugh.gif

Strange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
You should have pretended to be important Japanese businessman, Foo Sumitomo.

Start by coming into the store, and never speak to any of the associates directly.

Have your wife pretend to translate for you, as you pretend to speak to her quietly in Japanese ("domo arigato misuta roboto, suupera marketa besiboru").

Make sure she explicitly mentions you are a very important Japanese businessman. If the sales associate still does not comprehend how important you are, have her either introduce you, or reintroduce, as Misuta Sony.

Do not say anything to the associate after your introduction, only bow, and only very slightly. This helps establish your social order in the hierarchy of Japanese businessmen, as well as retail customers. Consider having one of your asian friends pose an another Japanese businessman who just so happens to run into you inside the store, and when you bow to each other, make sure he bows much lower. Observe:
barack-obama-bow-japan.jpg

If this does not work, you may contact me to formulate a different strategy. If you are indeed an important Japanese businessman, you could consider obtaining the wallet you desire through a corporate takeover of Hermes (although I hear Bernard Arnault beat you to the punch, after Hermes gave him that same response, "I cannot talk about it at this time", to his request to custom order one of their breast wallets with an LV monogram). Alternatively, you can bring them to their knees by selling more efficient breast wallets, which are also more reliable (that is, until you recall a bunch of them), forcing them to seek a bailout from the French government to cover the pension liabilities of the United Breast Wallet Makers Union (UBWMU), among other things.

This made me lol.
laugh.gif

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
That's actually a very nice wallet. The idea of a "breast" wallet never crossed my mind before but thanks to this thread, and a growing frustration with my normal billfold puffing out one side of my chest when I put it in my breast pocket (cause it's chock full of hundreds), I might actually look into this concept further.

They are a real improvement over a billfold, but once you have cards and cash and such in them, they are still about 1/2" thick, and in the breast pocket they drop down around your waist. If you really want to get away from the bulk, go for a money clip and a card case. That said, I really prefer a breast wallet to the alternatives.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
They are a real improvement over a billfold, but once you have cards and cash and such in them, they are still about 1/2" thick, and in the breast pocket they drop down around your waist. If you really want to get away from the bulk, go for a money clip and a card case. That said, I really prefer a breast wallet to the alternatives.

but what do you do when you're not wearing a jacket?

Jay

Reaction score
I have a card case that holds my drivers license, credit card, debit card, insurance card, metro card, and holds cash/checks/recepts in the middle slot when you fold them in half. It fits in my front pocket, back pocket, and breast pocket. It's the true OneWallet.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
but what do you do when you're not wearing a jacket?

Why worry about it? You'll probably be sleeping.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads