• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much is too jewelery for a suit.

hapyhar0ld

Reaction score
Where do you draw the line when wearing as suit?

1. Cufflinks
2. Tie bar
3. Pocket square
4. Wedding ring
5. Watch
6. Glasses
7. All of the above?

I feel like I may have too much going on! Tie bar, but no cufflinks. Tie bar, but no pocket square. What do you guys think?

BTW. I've never worn all of it before. Just curious to where you think the line should be.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld

1. Cufflinks
2. Tie bar
3. Pocket square
4. Wedding ring
5. Watch
6. Glasses
7. All of the above?

I feel like I may have too much going on! Tie bar, but no cufflinks. Tie bar, but no pocket square. What do you guys think?

BTW. I've never worn all of it before. Just curious to where you think the line should be.

When I'm suited up I wear all of that. I wear tie bars purely to keep my tie out of the soup so they are worn below the buttoning pout of the jacket and thus invisible unless I'm sitting with jacket unbuttoned.

I don't wear glasses but keep sunglasses discreetly behind my pocket square which is discreetly displayed slightly peeking out of the pocket. I'm not married (yet) so don't have a ring and don't know if I ever will wear one even when I am. Cufflinks when I feel like it but not every day. Watch always but invisible beneath shirt cuff.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never thought of a pocket square and glasses as jewelry.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
The only jewelry I wear is a watch, sometimes a tie bar, and sometimes a collar pin. I have a couple of French cuff shirts, but I don't wear them very often because I feel cuff links weigh me down.

I wear a lot of gray/charcoal suits with brown/cognac/cordovan shoes, so I typically just wear one of my gold watches with brown leather bands (I've been favoring a simple gold Tissot that used to be my grandfather's as of late, lovely classy watch). My tie bars, cuff links, and collar pins are all white gold or silver, so I don't wear those if I'm wearing a gold watch which seems to be pretty often. I guess my accessories revolve around the color of the shoes and the watch I wear...if I wear a steel or silver watch, I might wear a tie bar and/or collar pin. Otherwise, just a watch for me. I always slightly fold my left cuff on the top so I can read my watch with little effort...

As for pocket squares...I simply take a white cotton kerchief and fold it square with all of my suits. Simple and easy. Scarves in the winter time is another story...have tons of those. Kind of go between a cotton H & M scarf I get loads of compliments (gotta love it, was only like $10) and a charcoal wool/cashmere I got from J Crew a few years back. A bunch of random scarves I've collected over the last few years, but I mostly just wear those two.

I also only wear "crazy" socks...I own one pair of black socks, and those are only worn for funerals and weddings. Probably own every pair of socks J Crew has put out for the last two years.

Glasses are black Persols, wire Ray Bans, or tortoiseshell Tom Fords, and Wayfarers for sunglasses.

No wedding ring. That disappeared with all of the belongings in my house...and I'm OK with that...that was also white gold.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I've never thought of a pocket square and glasses as jewelry.

Me either, but I think he meant "accessories."
smile.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at any image by SpooPoker.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

1. Cufflinks
2. Tie bar
3. Pocket square
4. Wedding ring
5. Watch
6. Glasses
7. All of the above?

Does a cock ring count as jewelry?

old

Reaction score
I don't think glasses and wedding ring (not married yet) are really "optional",
Unless by glasses you mean sunglasses. A watch is also more of a habitual thing.
As for 1.2.and 3, I rarely wear all of them together, but not out of the concern of being too loud
but the fact that I don't usually have time to put all of them on.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Cufflinks
2. Tie bar
3. Pocket square
4. Wedding ring
5. Watch
6. Glasses
7. All of the above?

Your classification of these as jewellery is frankly nonsense. Wedding ring, watch, glasses are either essentials or else difficult to justify removal. Cuff links are a normal part of day to day wear and pocket square and tie bard whilst not in the above categories are hardly excessive. One might add that it one were t wear and earring or bracelet that too would be acceptable. What is gross is a cheap gold ring ring on each finger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads