• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best untanned belts

Jump Around

Reaction score
Sorry for being a bit offtopic but what is the purpose of a natural belt? Is the end game to have the belt turn dark brown like most belts but done through time and wear(like fades on denim)?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jump Around
Sorry for being a bit offtopic but what is the purpose of a natural belt? Is the end game to have the belt turn dark brown like most belts but done through time and wear(like fades on denim)?
My guess would be to make your own patina? Kinda like with jeans and leather jackets.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea that is the point. So you can feel good about yourself after you look at it.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jump Around
Doesn't actually turn proper-brown for a few years. It goes through different shades of tan, brick and then brown - incredibly versatile too. The colour/patina and grain texture changes are things that are unique and rarely found on pre-dyed belts. Add in individual scratch marks, indentations, etc to make it much more personal. Plus, the process is a whole lot of fun.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Kenton Sorenson? You can find his products at Context. I own a belt and wallet and the leather is top notch.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adamha21
Has anyone mentioned Kenton Sorenson? You can find his products at Context. I own a belt and wallet and the leather is top notch.
yes. i posted mine above. i have had my ks belt for a while but it only has two months of consistent wear on it. i was working on my samurai curve for a while.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love my tanner goods belt, the only issue i have is the way the buckle is held to the belt. they use this huge button screw things, which causes it to stick out a bit from my waist. and sort of dig into my lower stomach sometimes (after eating)

i need a belt that stitches that part of the leather to the buckle.... any ideas?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter what you try, the snaps are in the way. It's a design fault, usually belt makers take into account the added thickness when using snaps.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
i love my tanner goods belt, the only issue i have is the way the buckle is held to the belt. they use this huge button screw things, which causes it to stick out a bit from my waist. and sort of dig into my lower stomach sometimes (after eating)

i need a belt that stitches that part of the leather to the buckle.... any ideas?

Other than buying a new belt or stitching the leather together yourself, I don't think you have that many options
confused.gif

Many high-end belt makers do hand-stitching for the buckle fold, it's quite easy to find.
Alternatively I could recommend using punch-through copper rivets, as they tend to stick out less than the Chicago-screws.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you get rid of the snaps? I thought of drilling, but that might destroy the belt...

mikecch

Reaction score
^ As in snap buttons, not Chicago screws?

I don't know actually.
Some snaps are installed via screws, so it's easy enough to remove using a screw-driver.
If it's punched through, then you're better off getting a new belt.

IMO snaps are a bad idea.
If you're going with a single layer, heavy duty cattlehide belt that will withstand years and years of wear, the last thing you'd want is wimpy hardware.
Better to have it hand-stitched or punch-through riveted.
Or if you want the option of switching buckles, then go with sturdy Chicago screws like many Japanese brands like Samurai, Dolce Vita, etc are doing (the screws can also be easily replaced if malfunctioning).

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
what i mean is, besides this belt.. most of my other belts have the part holding the buckle to the belt, sown in. so there is less width in that area....
am i explaining that correctly?

edit for example:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1440

Yep, I get what you're saying - crystal clear.

But what was your question again?

If your belt was made with screws or snaps which increases the thickness of the belt at the front end, then that is the nature of your belt - not much you could do to change it unless you want to do some very dramatic DIY...

I have to say though, a few of my belts have screws and rivets at the buckle fold - it doesn't really dig into my skin at all (the screws are in contact with denim, not skin)...maybe you're wearing your belt a bit too tight?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
Yep, I get what you're saying - crystal clear. I have to say though, a few of my belts have screws and rivets at the buckle fold - it doesn't really dig into my skin at all (the screws are in contact with denim, not skin)...maybe you're wearing your belt a bit too tight?
yeah, my samurai belt has screws and they dont dig into me at all. this area of the samurai belt takes on a bend so all i feel are the tips of the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads