• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Satisfaction Jobs

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Why do they love you? For the money? Or for the time you don't spend with them? (I'm just being a brat here).

When you truly love someone, you don't think about what love you are getting back.

But to your point, you may joke that you're being bratty with that question but that is a legitimate concern. Anyone who grew up with parents with strict work ethic would recall the time (or lack of) they had with their parents.

Going on that path requires serious discussions with the SO because the lack of time will put major strain on the relationship even if the money is good.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
I never thought that a hole in the ground could be 'designed', but I guess that makes sense. Do you ever feel remorse for having fucked up God's creation?

No. Raw materials need to come from somewhere otherwise we would literally have nothing, apart from wooden objects.

I have flown over the biggest opencut in Australia, and from up high it looks insignificant when compared to the vast landscape around it.

If you can't grow it, mine it.
laugh.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter

Going on that path requires serious discussions with the SO because the lack of time will put major strain on the relationship even if the money is good.

Most people won't understand this until their relationship is fucked. This and politics get people all the time in our "social circle" (Necessary evil- most our friends tend to not be a part of this because the people inhabiting it tend to unpleasant). It's one thing to discuss that times will be difficult, or that sacrifices will have to be made, but it's another entirely to experience this. Everyone thinks that their relationship is stronger than that. It isn't.

newinny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It's a rat race with high pressure and heavy work hours I'd assume.

1. you get to work with really smart people
2. you get to take on huge responsibility at a young age
3. high levels of competition spur you to work harder/smarter/better
4. you get a diverse amount of work
5. compensation allows you to live without budgeting

Icarus

Reaction score
The only people truly satisfied with their work fall in two categories:

1.) People who work in the public sector who make great pay and benefits with little work/results. They can only do this thanks to taxpayers so it's not sustainable, yet will go on for as long as the govt is run by career politicians and bureaucrats (forever).

2.) People who love their "work" so much they're always "working"

You could hand me a billion in cash right now, and the absolute last thing I would do is retire.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newinny
1. you get to work with really smart people
2. you get to take on huge responsibility at a young age
3. high levels of competition spur you to work harder/smarter/better
4. you get a diverse amount of work
5. compensation allows you to live without budgeting

1. Yes, really smart people. But the same over competitive, under-socialized, gunner kids that made college one big
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
2. no comment
3. see one.
4. thought junior analyst meant excel monkey.
5. I think this is the MAJOR, if not ONLY one. Money+prestige... I'm sure ***** shortly follows.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could start over, I'd be a doctor. I think it's the most brilliant career. You make good money, you help people, and you work with people (or you don't, depending on your specialty and preference). It's perfect. That or engineer because I like to tinker with things.

Plenty of people would disagree with this:

study >10years before making decent money; This means not only do you have a ****** student loan, you also miss out on the mid twenties, which is the sweet spot when most people make a decent living but have zero responsibility (kids, mortgage etc).

Work very long hours when you do finally get out of college, in a very stressful environment in which your decisions decide whether people live or die.

Have the burden of constantly having to study to stay up to date with a rapidly evolving field

Have to deal with people (can be good, can be bad).

Drug addicts trying to score, dealing with people who have no health insurance, dealing with people who are going to die, dealing with people who are going to sue your ass at every opportunity.

that's all i can think of now. I still think it'd be a rewarding job, but still not that great.

v.freeman

Reaction score
CFA is worthless without any experience. You'll be spending hundreds of hours for an additional three letters next to your name, but it doesn't really matter that much unless you're already in the industry. As someone studying for Level 2, I will tell you it sucks. Horribly.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subscribed, I'm about to graduate with a BS in Accounting. If I don't have a full-time job in January, I'll start studying for the CPA. I figure if nothing else, at least I'll be able to pay the bills...I have friends with music or liberal arts degrees who can't find a job at Starbucks.

My plan is you slowly meet people in life who do what you want to be doing, you ask them how they got there, then you do that. Might not get you your dream job instantly, but you'll be gaining experience and paying the bills in the meantime. That's the plan, anyway

As far as a wife and kids, I'm the most independent person I know, yet with school coming to a close I feel like having those things wouldn't be as bad as I used to think...

I'd say get your Finance degree and job, gain some experience...basically aim high, you can always downshift from being a CFA to being a part-time handyman for example, but at some point in life it becomes very hard to go the other way.

BTW, look at all of us...we're all f'king lucky to be sitting here with these choices available to us. Maybe the right answer is no matter which option you choose, you'll still be better off than many other people in this world and so no option is truly 'wrong.'

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
That's the deal. I don't want kids, and don't want a wife. I would do the same thing my folks did if that were the case, but it's not. As it stands, they're just now starting to actually experience personal benefit from the money in such a way that it's may be worth the bullshit that it took to make it. They managed to miss out on 30 years of their life to get there though.

Thanks for the responses, yall- I'm looking in to everything right now.

hmmmm here's one thing that you might not be thinking about - when I was your age I didn't want a wife or kids either, now I am thrilled to have both. and if I wasn't able to provide for them, life would suck.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
CFA is worthless without any experience. You'll be spending hundreds of hours for an additional three letters next to your name, but it doesn't really that much unless you're already in the industry. As someone studying for Level 2, I will tell you it sucks. Horribly.

+ you actually have to have like 3-4 years of relevant experience to get the full CFA charter.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hmmmm here's one thing that you might not be thinking about - when I was your age I didn't want a wife or kids either, now I am thrilled to have both. and if I wasn't able to provide for them, life would suck.

I've already resigned to becoming a corporate whore or busting ****** to do whatever it takes if I do have a family. I'm not that worried about this. Between a finance degree and a master's license I should be able to provide if it comes down to it. I'm talking about living my single life in such a way that I don't look back hate myself for pissing it away for a leather sofa, a fast car that's never gets used, etc.

Originally Posted by Flambeur
+ you actually have to have like 3-4 years of relevant experience to get the full CFA charter.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by longskate88
Stuff

All true. As far as having the options goes- I really do appreciate that. Between spending a while in Peru (getting out of the more developed areas is an excellent way to understand how great it is to live in a "first world" country) and my own family having started well below the poverty line, it's great to able to ***** and moan about these things.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been able to work for myself for most of my young life. It is quite the high satisfaction job looking around at my offices and the work we do and knowing that I started with less than $1000 and no employees.

Do what you love, do it better than everyone else, and don't stop...success is almost certain. However, your definition of success is sure to be personal.

Whenever someone asks me for career advice I tell them they must find out what they absolutely love to do and what they are best at doing. Then figure out how to create the best possible career from those things. Generally everything else will lead to great disappointment.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I've been able to work for myself for most of my young life. It is quite the high satisfaction job looking around at my offices and the work we do and knowing that I started with less than $1000 and no employees.

Do what you love, do it better than everyone else, and don't stop...success is almost certain. However, your definition of success is sure to be personal.

Whenever someone asks me for career advice I tell them they must find out what they absolutely love to do and what they are best at doing. Then figure out how to create the best possible career from those things. Generally everything else will lead to great disappointment.

didn't you come from a well-off family to begin with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads