• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get a credit score (A Good One)

JBG89

Reaction score
As of today I officially have zero credit.

What would be the best starting way to get a good credit score? I was suggested obtaining a credit card, and paying it off.

Should I pay it off 100% each month or leave a bit to build? I've heard both told to me.

Additionally, would anyone recommend a specific card? AMEX would not give me one due to my lack of credit. Should I take a card at the bank at which I am currently holding my checking #?

PS* I am currently a student.

Thanks

Saltricks

Reaction score
start one with macys/ discover etc.

something that has low barriers to entry
never close it, this will be your oldest card and the basis of your credit history

Your credit score/ FICO score is based on these ratios:

Payment history - 35%
Amounts owed - 30%
Length of credit history - 15%
New credit - 10%
Types of credit used - 10%

So ideally, you want to have some sort of balance that you pay off every month, keep your max credit/balance under 20 percent, and try to open cards to increase your max credit which reduces your credit/balance ratio. Never pay late.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on macys - when we moved to the states, we got macys cards and worked up from there

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't you get a standard student visa/mastercard? Most people are able to get those with something like a $500 limit without issue. This may be that they have student loan accounts though (which appear as some form of credit) so if you have absolutely zero credit, it might be hard to get a student account.

If you seriously can't get a student account, then try one of those "secured visa" cards where you basically pay in advance but slowly build credit until you can get a normal card.

Originally Posted by JBG89
Should I pay it off 100% each month or leave a bit to build? I've heard both told to me.

100% in full every month.

Don't try to get an AMEX...your first card should be a visa or MC as they are accepted everywhere.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Visa or MC and try to get the highest credit line you can. Then use as little of it as you can and pay off that in full every month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads