• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30k to spend on a car...

Urijah1086

Reaction score
So I have 30k to spend on a car and have narrowed it down to :

e46 m3
135i
03 911 w/ 14,000 miles (my dads friends car, its in immaculate condition) wants 30k for it..

What yall think? Any other options ?

amstokesdb9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
So I have 30k to spend on a car and have narrowed it down to :

e46 m3
135i
03 911 w/ 14,000 miles (my dads friends car, its in immaculate condition) wants 30k for it..

What yall think? Any other options ?

do you have the money to service the 911? Though it does sound like a fair price for low miles.

a gently used G 37 can be had for that sort of money now as well

Benzito

Reaction score
I'll be the first prude to say you should only spend half and invest the other half for the future.

Yeah, right.

You can get so much more BMW than a 1-series if you go CPO. M3 and M5 are absolute beasts.

I don't know for sure if it affects the 911 in that model year, but you should check the engine reliability and problems related to IMS and RMS. The mileage is too low for the problem to show itself and it is an expensive retrofit or engine replacement.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
I'll be the first prude to say you should only spend half and invest the other half for the future.

Yeah, right.

You can get so much more BMW than a 1-series if you go CPO. M3 and M5 are absolute beasts.

I don't know for sure if it affects the 911 in that model year, but you should check the engine reliability and problems related to IMS and RMS. The mileage is too low for the problem to show itself and it is an expensive retrofit or engine replacement.

CPO M3 or M5 is out of CPO range. And Bimmer is a fkn ***** to maintain.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Um, no you can't. The 135i IS an absolute beast and a much more fun car to drive on the street than an E46 M3. New model M3s or M5s are no where near the 30K range, even for a high mileage 08s. E92 resale prices are ridiculous. It can be cheaper to buy a new M3 than buy an '09. The 135i is in a class of its own in its price range. A 6-spd M-sport can be had in the low 30s and runs 0-60 in 4.7s (feels even faster since it pulls so hard down low) with much more refinement than a G37 and none of cheap nastiness and boy racer appeal of a 370Z. Zero maintenance costs for four years seals the deal.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a 328i CPO for ~20-25k with extended maintenence.

pocket your 5-10K worth of money.

Enjoy. (Why do i say the 328i instead of the 335? Simple b/c the 328i is more reliable)

Then again, by the choices you listed, you're interested in a sportier ride rather than a reliable one.

Remember, costs for cars don't stop upon sale. Maintenence costs and etc. can be a pain too.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
get a 328i CPO for ~20-25k with extended maintenence.

Remember, costs for cars don't stop upon sale. Maintenence costs and etc. can be a pain too.

Why would anyone buy an underpowered used 328i for 25K when a brand new 135 (+warranty/free maintenance) is available in the low 30s? Have you seen BMW lease rates lately?

Night Owl

Reaction score
none of the above, dodge challenger

Originally Posted by username79
Why would anyone buy an underpowered used 328i for 25K when a brand new 135 (+warranty/free maintenance) is available in the low 30s? Have you seen BMW lease rates lately?

1 serie rook rikes hyundai erantla

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do 996 3.8's have the same oiling problems as the 3.6? Wasn't it established that the general design of all the non-turbo water cooled blocks (Boxster, 996 and 997 C2/4's) was prone to failure?

You can get a ton of car for $30K though, indeed. I think I would choose the M3 over the 996, only for the fear of premature block failure/maintenance costs on the 996.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Do 996 3.8's have the same oiling problems as the 3.6? Wasn't it established that the general design of all the non-turbo water cooled blocks (Boxster, 996 and 997 C2/4's) was prone to failure?

Porsche didn't correct all the problems with these engines until 2009, when DFI debuted. The turbo and GT3 are safer bets as they use a different block.

The OP seems to have no real criteria, which makes it hard to make a recommendation. I'd say a Hyundai Genesis coupe with 3.8L engine, which is nice looking, decent performer, and can be bought new with full warranty for the budget.

Urijah1086

Reaction score
I really just want something that will be fun to drive lol i know thats pretty vague but thats what im looking for. What do yall think of Lotus Elise's?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd be afraid of driving a Lotus Elise, only marginally safer than riding a superbike. Wouldn't want an F-150 to T-bone you, that would get nasty.

You do know how much M3's and 911's out of warranty cost to fix, right?

Urijah1086

Reaction score
yeah thats why im leaning towards an 135i that has a warranty, i ride a cbr rr soo the whole getting t-boned by a f-150 only slightly concerns me lol

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Urijah1086
yeah thats why im leaning towards an 135i that has a warranty, i ride a cbr rr soo the whole getting t-boned by a f-150 only slightly concerns me lol
Only slightly?
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members