• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enough with the lifestyle photos

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol stealth-wealth. Love it.

"Oh, this? Just a second-hand mid-century-modern piece I picked up at the artisanal craft fair in Tilburg. No big deal."

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
WAYWRN pictures artificially desaturated and taken from angles that obscure the clothing while emphasizing one's female companion or the Michelin-starred restaurant where the person is sitting.
After seeing some of the god awful looking people who post in WAYWRN, this is a trend that I'll happily endorse.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I ask that we keep the urinals and toilets in the backgrounds, though. - B
Come on. Then we'll miss out on all the "lifestyle" shots featuring toilet lid covers and trash cans.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
lol stealth-wealth. Love it. "Oh, this? Just a second-hand mid-century-modern piece I picked up at the artisanal craft fair in Tilburg. No big deal."
Conspicuous consumtion is only vulgar if the plebs can pick up the signal, as long as only the right people catch on you're just peachy. You've also underlined the utmost importance of tying your stealth-wealth purchases to experiential narratives as a way of letting the prestige of the non-material and even transcendental (another name for-what I did in Tibet) purify the unclean act of acquiring stuff. As we've been told here before some people purchase brand-name vacuum cleaners for the RIGHT reasons and this glorious display of appropriate consumption plays a great part in how they can be defined.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Come on. Then we'll miss out on all the "lifestyle" shots featuring toilet lid covers and trash cans.

Can we also do away with lifestyle posts in text? Food, wine, houses, travel, all that lifestyle stuff. Art is okay...a long as you don't own it.

And maybe cap the cost of complete ensembles that are discussed or photographed at, oh, $10K. (Special note to Asians: this includes watches.)

But more to the point: can we simply limit all posting to posters whom we like, and in turn, limit those people to subjects that interest us discussed in a manner that neither annoys nor offends us?

And what's with everyone using the term "plebs" a lot recently? Who the f*ck started that?

- B

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Can we also do away with lifestyle posts in text? Food, wine, houses, travel, all that lifestyle stuff. Art is okay...a long as you don't own it.

And maybe cap the cost of complete ensembles that are discussed or photographed at, oh, $10K. (Special note to Asians: this includes watches.)

But more to the point: can we simply limit all posting to posters whom we like, and in turn, limit those people to subjects that interest us discussed in a manner that neither annoys nor offends us?

And what's with everyone using the term "plebs" a lot recently? Who the f*ck started that?

- B

The New philosophers because they didn't want to use the term proletariat.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Goddamn Franchouillard Modasse.

- B

I'm not even kidding, they brought that **** back to modern usage so they could use the undifferencied mass of suffering individuals as an ideological bludgeon.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm not even kidding, they brought that **** back to modern usage so they could use the undifferencied mass of suffering individuals as an ideological bludgeon.

I'm off to the gym to work on my muscles.

When I get back, we'll settle this matter once and for all.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Don't forget to take pictures of your glorious lycra-encased body.

I just checked all the photographic posts on the MC WAYWRN today. There is not a single lifestyle photograph among them...unless one counts squalor as a lifestyle.

So, I fear that holy's premise is false and we've gone on in this thread without point.

Be back shortly...keep things on slow simmer, do not over salt, and for God's sake, keep stirring.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Or the weary eye-roll icon next to the Rolexâ„¢.

If you want to scare a pleb, take off your Roller and smash it with a hammer in front of him.

Works every time.

- B

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We can't have a winner every day. But we got lucky yesterday.
P1040253-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads