• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the most powerful movie you've ever seen?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
travis_bickle.jpg

Dr. Mabuse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
OldBoy

This is a good choice. Even if you suspected who she really was, reflecting back on what you have witnessed prior to the revelation is devastating.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I found Children of Men to be one of the most powerful of recent memory.

Also, Braveheart

Originally Posted by longskate88
I agree, the motorcycle car chase scene was so intense! Also when he visits his rich government minister(?) friend, they have this opulent dinner and are served by multiple waitstaff in the huge government building...it's so pointless, knowing that you're the last generation of people.

I found it hard to engage with COM. My view is that if people did suddenly just die out overnight, it would largely be a very good thing.

I'm a fan of apocalypse films for this reason (as I suspect are a lot of people, given the popularity of the zombie genre)

The fact that the one last hope for the whole of humanity, was being fought over for political reasons, just made me think "fu*king typical, you know what I can't be arsed. We've tried to kill each other off for hundreds of thousands of years, now's your chance, have fun you morons"

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Stoning of Soraya M.

I've seen my share of violence in movies, and that one was hard to watch.

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

It's like a grotesque quasi-documentary, and my girlfriend and I were pretty rattled after watching it. It was unlike anything we'd seen before.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I found Children of Men to be one of the most powerful of recent memory.

Also, Braveheart

Such a great movie. The scene where the baby starts crying and all the English soldiers stop fighting and just look in amazement was very moving. The way they built the world up to that point made the shock of a hearing a baby cry feel very real.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I think it was poorly edited, Dear Zachary: a letter to a son about his father was probably the most emotionally exhaustive documentary I have seen.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Such a great movie. The scene where the baby starts crying and all the English soldiers stop fighting and just look in amazement was very moving. The way they built the world up to that point made the shock of a hearing a baby cry feel very real.

That scene, framed by 15 minutes on each side of it, was one of the most visceral moments in cinema. The whole idea that we are slowly becoming extinct and that we react to this doom in such a brutal, fearful manner was made so believable in that movie.

michaelvl

Reaction score
-2001 a space oddysey
-The pianist
-Shindlers list
-12 angry men
-Rosemary's baby

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taegukgi makes me emotional. The shoes that he kept his whole life and all that.

Your usual Holocaust films and such as well.

dave333

Reaction score
Cliche but pianist is there for me. When it comes to causing trauma i watched Event Horizon when I was like 7...it deeply disturbed me.

Caesar Augustus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
The Stoning of Soraya M.

I've seen my share of violence in movies, and that one was hard to watch.

Saw this one a week ago. Very powerful. I could not watch some of the scenes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads