What's the most powerful movie you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by furo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Regular lovers
    The passenger

2. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

"Mugabe and the White African" was incredibly moving; hidden camera documentary about a Zimbabwean farming family trying to protect their farmland from seizure by the Mugabe government.

3. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

I forgot about KIDS. I remember watching it in High School and it had a "scared straight" effect on me. Pretty powerful movie.

I honestly think that movie had a very negative effect on some of my high school friends. Kind of sad, but a few guys I knew glorified Casper and ended up doing some pretty stupid (potentially life-ruining) things in their attempt to emulate his character.

The thought of that skateboard beatdown scene still gives me the chills.

4. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

As for Friday Night Lights, I spent my high school years in Childress, Texas, which was a small town out in Western Texas and the town's pride hung on the success (actually it was the past success) of it's football team. I did not play football, but I remember one black kid that was an excellent athlete but then when he got hurt and could not play anymore, he faded into oblivion. To everyone, he was pretty much useless.

I have heard this aspect of the film is true. So sad to know that it really is, in fact, a reality. The fleeting hope is what makes the movie so moving. They are changed when they leave the field. What was, to them, the most important thing in the world is suddenly gone.

5. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Most of the movies I am seeing here are dramas or contain something shocking. While those typically have a huge impact, I agree, there are some nice heartfelt comedies that can leave a lasting impression.

I remember watching American Pie and getting a little choked up at the part where the four friends have that conversation where they realize that they are all going off to college and that their friendships will never be the same again. Pretty heavy stuff for a movie famous for having a guy boning an apple pie.

6. furo

furo Senior member

I forgot about KIDS. I remember watching it in High School and it had a "scared straight" effect on me. Pretty powerful movie.

I honestly think that movie had a very negative effect on some of my high school friends. Kind of sad, but a few guys I knew glorified Casper and ended up doing some pretty stupid (potentially life-ruining) things in their attempt to emulate his character.

The thought of that skateboard beatdown scene still gives me the chills.

I remember KIDS. I look back now and think: how did they get away with even filming some of the things they did? Weren't the actors under 18?

7. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I remember KIDS. I look back now and think: how did they get away with even filming some of the things they did? Weren't the actors under 18?

Like what? I never saw it. I thought they just beat people up.

8. furo

furo Senior member

Like what? I never saw it. I thought they just beat people up.

sex between minors was a recurring theme including a rape to cap it off at the end

9. Stedye

Stedye Senior member

Stand And Deliver
    Lean On Me
    Schindlers List
    Shawshank Redemption

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

In the category of scenes I wish I could "unsee," there are a couple in the movie Irreversible.

"Mugabe and the White African" was incredibly moving; hidden camera documentary about a Zimbabwean farming family trying to protect their farmland from seizure by the Mugabe government.

+1. People definitely need to add this to their netflix queue.

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I agree with most of the films mentioned here.

Sunshine gave me goosebumps. Kaneda's death and Capa's flight through space are unforgettable.

12. delakingois

delakingois Senior member

In the category of scenes I wish I could "unsee," there are a couple in the movie Irreversible.

The scene with the fire extinguisher. [​IMG]

13. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

There's a difference between powerful/moving and shocking, though. All those shock-horror movies are disturbing at the time but don't really affect the way one lives life.

Thought of a few more:

Ikiru - slow-paced Japanese film from the 50s, about living a meaningful life. "It's a Wonderful Life" without the kitsch.

Harrison Bergeron - obscure TV movie adaptation of a Vonnegut short story

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Ikiru - slow-paced Japanese film from the 50s, about living a meaningful life. "It's a Wonderful Life" without the kitsch.

I own this and just watched it two or three weeks ago. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

15. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

The scene with the fire extinguisher. [​IMG]

***SPOILER?***

Yes, brutal...it didn't phase me much until the guy continued to move/be alive after his face was completely destroyed. And how the camera never moves once during the entire scene.