• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get a Tag Heuer watch?

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Get an Omega Seamaster instead.

^^ this. Or a speedmaster

I looked at tags and Omegas a couple months ago, and the build quaility between the two is night and day.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
+1

Tag Heuer's aren't the best value for the money and they are way too common IMHO. It might help the recomendation process if you specified what you budget is and what your style preferences are (I.e., dive, sport, classic, chrono, pilot, etc)

Thank you! I am new to the watch world so this is good to know.

I kind of want to stay away from leather, to be honest I'm not sure what all the differences between the different styles of watches are. After a brief search I'm thinking chrono.

Like I mentioned I would like to stay under 1k, and I am willing to buy used.

Thank you for your help fellas
smile.gif

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Ah good catch.
plain.gif
Allow me to rephrase: What is a good watch for under 1k? I will take all answers with a grain of salt, knowing that everyone will have a different opinion. Notice that I did not say amazing watch, or great watch. Just good watch. I mentioned Tag because that would be well below the 1k range. (used)

$1k? Definitely go the used route then. As others have mentioned, Omega is a good choice. You won't get a Breitling, IWC or Panerai in that price range. Another good brand in that range used is Sinn. It's a German brand owned by one of the former senior managers at IWC. Excellent build quality and large range of styles although much of their range are arguably knock offs of the bigger players such as IWC and Breitling.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
^^ this. Or a speedmaster

I looked at tags and Omegas a couple months ago, and the build quaility between the two is night and day.

+1 Speedmaster's are also excellent.

Out of those two, I would go Omega all the time.

As the OP has specified $1K and under, either try a used watch or possibly a Stowa or one of the new Christopher Ward Trident's coming out in the next month or so.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
$1k? Definitely go the used route then. As others have mentioned, Omega is a good choice. You won't get a Breitling, IWC or Panerai in that price range. Another good brand in that range used is Sinn. It's a German brand owned by one of the former senior managers at IWC. Excellent build quality and large range of styles although much of their range are arguably knock offs of the bigger players such as IWC and Breitling.

I will look into the Sinn's! I have been pricing Omega's, but they seem to be very popular.

I wish I could put more money into it, but as I want to buy a house in a few months it kind of falls to the wayside.

marco_rol

Reaction score
Thank you! I am new to the watch world so this is good to know.

I kind of want to stay away from leather, to be honest I'm not sure what all the differences between the different styles of watches are. After a brief search I'm thinking chrono.

Like I mentioned I would like to stay under 1k, and I am willing to buy used.

Thank you for your help fellas
smile.gif

Ok, both of those things increase the cost (metal bracelet and chrono complication). I'd check out the watchbuys website for Sinn. Check there to see if you like anything. Then go to Timezone and go through the sales corner. Good deals on eBay as well BUT only if you know what you're doing - lots of scammers on eBay.

Icarus

Reaction score
Care to elaborate or recommend another brand?

Pick up a copy of watch time, and look at what movements the smaller brands are using, and find a watch using that movement.

The Valjoux 7750 is a workhorse movement and can be had for around 500-600 bucks. Usually chronos use that movement. You can get a number of watches with swiss eta movements for 300-400 bucks.

I'm drawing a blank thinking of names at the moment, I will try to recommend some brands tomorrow.

Just remember, with lower end rolex/tag/tissot/omega you are paying for their advertising budget, not quality.

If you're not a japanophobe, pick up a quartz movement watch that looks nice. No mechanical swiss watch will ever keep time as good as a quartz movement will (swiss quartz does exist). I know the same people who like the handmade aspect of clothing will like the handmade aspect of mechanical watches, but honestly a casio will keep better time than a rolex. But then again, if all you wanted was accurate time, you could check your mobile phone. Seiko makes good sporty and traditional looking watches, for a few hundred bucks.

Icarus

Reaction score
I just read this was for the missuss.

I will recommend some brands tomorrow, but definitely do not buy omega or tag.

It depends what your goal is as well. If you want to impress her with "swiss made" (not as significant nowadays) I will recommend one thing. If you don't care about that, there are beautiful japanese made watches that you could spend 100-200 on and they would be every bit as aesthetically pleasing and reliable. It was actually Japan that popularized watches for women, so they are a bit ahead of the curve aesthetically. Swiss brands that make for women either are exclusively a womens watch brand/jewelry company, or they take a mens model and shrink it.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
I just read this was for the missuss.

I will recommend some brands tomorrow, but definitely do not buy omega or tag.

It depends what your goal is as well. If you want to impress her with "swiss made" (not as significant nowadays) I will recommend one thing. If you don't care about that, there are beautiful japanese made watches that you could spend 100-200 on and they would be every bit as aesthetically pleasing and reliable. It was actually Japan that popularized watches for women, so they are a bit ahead of the curve aesthetically. Swiss brands that make for women either are exclusively a womens watch brand/jewelry company, or they take a mens model and shrink it.

Its actually for me. Its a present FROM her.
wink.gif

Icarus

Reaction score
Its actually for me. Its a present FROM her.
wink.gif

It's late, what can I say. I had it right the first time, but later saw the words "gift" and "mrs." and guess I just drew my own conclusions, haha. What I said is still accurate I believe. Also, whats the relationship here like? Does milking her for all she's worth seem lucrative in any way?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
It's late, what can I say. I had it right the first time, but later saw the words "gift" and "mrs." and guess I just drew my own conclusions, haha. What I said is still accurate I believe.

Also, whats the relationship here like? Does milking her for all she's worth seem lucrative in any way?

Meh probably not. She's worried about a down payment on a house while I want to splurge on our first Christmas as a married couple. (not that gifts are what's important to me, but since I'm planning on getting her jewelry I know she would be pissed if my present to her cost a ton more than her present to me.)

We're trying to figure out a limit to the cost. We shall see....

Oleg

Reaction score
Ah good catch.
plain.gif

Allow me to rephrase:

What is a good watch for under 1k? I will take all answers with a grain of salt, knowing that everyone will have a different opinion. Notice that I did not say amazing watch, or great watch. Just good watch. I mentioned Tag because that would be well below the 1k range. (used)

To prove I'm not just a smart arse, constructive input. For that price, I'd maybe look for a Nomos

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
To prove I'm not just a smart arse, constructive input. For that price, I'd maybe look for a Nomos

+1 I agree with a Nomos but I'd also suggest a Seiko.

I wouldn't bother with any fashion brands.

BTW - TAG outsources to China now. Not the movement but straps / bracelets / some cases or parts of cases are made in China. Just enough bits are made (or assembled) in Switzerland to meet the criteria of Swiss Made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads