• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving up to Los Angeles, need some input

Squall.Leonhart

Reaction score
The time has finally come to plan my big move up to Los Angeles from San Diego. I recently finished school down here (with a film degree), and most of the work that I will find will be up north. I was there recently to look for places in Santa Monica, Downtown and the Los Feliz/Silverlake areas. Most of the work that I will do will be in Culver City or Burbank.

I'm not sure if I want to live in those areas, but still want to be closer to where I work. I can afford roughly up to $1300 on rent, which doesn't leave me much. It seems like as a whole, L.A. is more expensive to live in (the parts to actually live in, not Inglewood) than San Diego.

I was set on finding some loft space, but the buildings I visited in Downtown were pricey. The buildings got cheaper the closer they were to skid row and the more sketchy areas. Jumping bums and dodging piss puddles was a real eye-opener as to the certain state of areas in Downtown. The buildings themselves were heavily secured, and nice once inside. Parking seems like it would be a pain, but one of the buildings I visited had a nice underground structure.

Santa Monica was just incredibly expensive, which is to be expected as beach property usually is. ~$1200 doesn't go very far.

Los Feliz was a really interesting area, and I liked it the best out of the areas I visited. I only worry that it is to far removed from the areas I'd work in.

I've browsed City-Data and read some of the users' there recommendations, but I want to know what you guys would suggest? I need something that is (relatively) safe and not too far out (like say, Pasadena). I know L.A. well having been hundreds of times, but have never lived there. Thanks for the advice guys!
fing02[1].gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Squall.Leonhart
The time has finally come to plan my big move up to Los Angeles from San Diego. I recently finished school down here (with a film degree), and most of the work that I will find will be up north. I was there recently to look for places in Santa Monica, Downtown and the Los Feliz/Silverlake areas. Most of the work that I will do will be in Culver City or Burbank. I'm not sure if I want to live in those areas, but still want to be closer to where I work. I can afford roughly up to $1300 on rent, which doesn't leave me much. It seems like as a whole, L.A. is more expensive to live in (the parts to actually live in, not Inglewood) than San Diego. I was set on finding some loft space, but the buildings I visited in Downtown were pricey. The buildings got cheaper the closer they were to skid row and the more sketchy areas. Jumping bums and dodging piss puddles was a real eye-opener as to the certain state of areas in Downtown. The buildings themselves were heavily secured, and nice once inside. Parking seems like it would be a pain, but one of the buildings I visited had a nice underground structure. Santa Monica was just incredibly expensive, which is to be expected as beach property usually is. ~$1200 doesn't go very far. Los Feliz was a really interesting area, and I liked it the best out of the areas I visited. I only worry that it is to far removed from the areas I'd work in. I've browsed City-Data and read some of the users' there recommendations, but I want to know what you guys would suggest? I need something that is (relatively) safe and not too far out (like say, Pasadena). I know L.A. well having been hundreds of times, but have never lived there. Thanks for the advice guys!
fing02[1].gif

Check out the Miracle Mile area between Fairfax and La Brea - close to the La Brea Tar Pits. Great old apartments from the 1920s and 1930s. Pretty centrally located. Culver City is a 15 minute drive if you know the shortcuts. PM me if you move there and I'll give you directions. Bummer about Santa Monica. Used to live there in the 90s and rent was $560 for a 1 bedroom when rent control was going on. Los Feliz is cool, an easy freeway drive to Burbank actually. Parking is an absolute nightmare in Los Feliz. Unless you get a place with a parking spot, your life will consist of endlessly driving around the block hoping sombody leaves. Silverlake with it's kitsch and hipsterdom is actually very lovely and parking is plentiful. Too far if you'll be working in Culver City, though. Same goes for Los Feliz, I suppose. You can do it, but it's all surface streets and lots of lights.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can usually find parking on Vermont between Hollywood and Los Feliz. But I dunno, it's not really a central location and you have to drive to get places for the most part. Then again it is LA so what do you expect? Echo Park has more walking-distance cool stuff, like annoying hipster bars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads