• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***the Epicurean knits thread***

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Some of the knits I listed have been bought for retail (so, I dunno, $400-650) but others have been acquired on sale and some were even second-hand (ebay, B&S SZ/Sufu). My Branquinho knit probably cost me $200 or so, V&R maybe $120, purple Ann D $200-250 etc. So it gets pricey when you want a specific piece but if you get lucky and generally look for something it is possible to acquire good stuff for realtively cheap.
Sometimes you gotta do it, sometimes you don't. My favorite piece = ervell shawl in turquoise melange. Paid retail as there were only two around in my size. I have a 100% cashmere marbled grey cashmere cardi from Jil that I got for really cheap just because the retail price was so high and nobody wanted to drop the cash for it. There is lots around during sale time though, so it's not that difficult to build up a decent rotation. When you really love a piece you won't think about the $100-$200 you could have saved later on.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma, what's the jacket in the second picture? Love those lapels..

I like that purple sweater a lot too.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. I am pissed I missed out on that DBSS knit with the pink arm stripe. I remember e-mailing blackbird but passing up on it. I need to get someone to find it for me on y!japan...

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question to those who buy from websites: Do you just eyeball it if you want to purchase something in a brand you don't have personal experience with and hope it fits?

I see some nice deals on good pieces posted on sites every now and then, but hesitant to buy because since it's on sale, most of the time...all sales are final.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So sad that this mmm cardigan is out in small
ffffuuuu.gif
I should never wait... Anyone know if any store has this in black?
49556.png

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
Those DBSS knits are awful.
Some of the DBSS knits are misses but I have the last two that kit posted and they're quite nice. Old fit pic... Will take better pictures of them come this fall.
2ekhyc6.jpg

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I have a 100% cashmere marbled grey cashmere cardi from Jil that I got for really cheap just because the retail price was so high and nobody wanted to drop the cash for it. There is lots around during sale time though, so it's not that difficult to build up a decent rotation.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. If you ever feel like getting rid of it, get at me.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the type of thread that can do serious harm to one's wallet.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
Fuuma, what's the jacket in the second picture? Love those lapels..

I like that purple sweater a lot too.

MMM anniversary collection dinner jacket with beaded shawl collar.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Yeah I'm going to put up a navy cashmere v-neck as well in case someone bigger than I am now wants to make baller threshold or as we're apparently now calling it, epicurean threshold. I like epicurean better, not gonna lie.

SNS gets play just because of the really wide variety of textures that aren't super chunk and they're kind of underpriced imo. Not that chunky is bad it's just grandpa-ish which is not what everyone necessarily wants. I should put up better pics of the SNS in that stack from last page later.

Fuuma the problem is there aren't as many good knits out there as there are good, say, jackets, or boots or whatever. Meanwhile you only really need a couple jackets and boots whereas you can have like 15-20 good knits reasonably. You kind of have to get them as they appear or pay retail when they're in season I find. Maybe I'm just not that great at deal hunting though.

Huh, really? I dunno, maybe I'm more easy-going about knits but a few obsessions aside (YY girls knit or V&R rabbit) I'm usually ok with a bunch of knits from certain designers. I mean I can get some Dries, Ann, MMM, SS, even some Lanvin. Jackets I am very picky because they really are cut with different height and silhouettes in mind.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I could participate in this thread but only own pretty much Vince. I love looking at the knits posted, we need more fit pics though.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Binker
yeah I really have no objection to extravagantly patterned, out there knits in principle but those just come off as cheap and directionless to me
facepalm.gif

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True mark of luxe status: the more you pay, the less you get?

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are soft from what I remember, but too ridiculous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads