• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Yeah, productively whining and now you are even complaining about how the colors show up on your monitor. The thread is what you guys made it.
Nice, coming from the guy posting photos of "I am homosex." THAT was certainly Alden related. I digress. You seem unable to have even the most basic of discussion about criticism without resorting to schoolyard insults. Nobody's whining, it's just a discussion about quality control and the company's response to it. It is in addition to, not instead of appreciating the craftsmanship that is Alden. I wouldn't have just dropped $3k on them if I thought they were inferior. You're also misunderstanding the color issue; it's not about how it appears on my monitor. It's how it appears on *everyone's* monitor; aka a problem at the source. Every single other pair that I have purchased from other vendors have been consistent to how they're presented on their respective site. The anomaly was leather soul. When I spend $550 on a pair of shoes I'd like to be happy with them- and while I am, the primary reason I bought those was because of their apparent color similarity to the cigar shell Indys. So, when they arrived I was disappointed by the color but found other great reasons to appreciate them. My post about this was meant to be constructive for members here and Tom's business, and it was- others had already chimed in saying they would have bought them if the true color was known to them. See? It HELPED Tom know what his customers think and feel about his product. This doesn't mean I don't like Tom, the shoes or Leather Sole. I'm a fan- he knows it, I know it. It's just a simple discussion of perception and marketing- the only thing standing between this discussion is your antics. This is the last time I'll try to explain it to you. You're the one derailing the thread, not me. Your desire to drive me off merely strengthens my resolve to be here. If you lay off the bullshit you'll see it go back to normal. Keep up the bullshit and I'm happy to retort, it's entirely your choice. tl;dr let's just ignore each other.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saracen
That one does look like the modified last, but I was actually referring to this one:

http://www.arknets.co.jp/modules/ark...id=21321&cid=2
2psh85e.jpg

Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen a plain toe derby from Alden, only gibsons. But that may be down to my lack of experience with them. Very nice nonetheless.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Quick q, how do these chromoexcel wing tip boots fit compare to Indy's? To me, the toe box on the Indy's appear to be wider. But again, this is just from looking at pictures with no actual confirmation. Thanks in advance!
They're slightly narrower- they're on the plaza last. I have about a thumb widths room to spare in front of the toes but I still have some wiggle room. I definitely have more wiggle room in the Indys, however.

Bugsy

Reaction score
anyone know where the pebble grain blac wing tips can be found that are on the arknets site?

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
ah sorry. up until recently i really didnt care about width. i knew i was an 11E because ive been measured by my friend who works at a shoe store here in San Francisco (On The Run, 9th Ave.) maybe like a decade ago, but i just took what i could get in 11. if it was too narrow id go 11.5, which only happened with a pair of vans. i dont mind the extra room in front of my toe with the indys

Ah, my doppelganger. There's an Alden store in SF; I forget the salesmans name off the top of my head but they're super friendly and have indys in narrow through EEE- he was happy to let me try a bunch of them on. The 10.5EEE seem to be the best, although the styles I am interested in are only available in D. I go true to size and leave room in the toe as well.
smile.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
They're slightly narrower- they're on the plaza last. I have about a thumb widths room to spare in front of the toes but I still have some wiggle room. I definitely have more wiggle room in the Indys, however.
Hmm, thanks for your input. I have a pair of the Indy's and they fit right on the money for me, in term of width and length. I'm not sure if I should size up by .5 on these wing tip boots or stay the same as the Indy's.
frown.gif

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Hmm, thanks for your input. I have a pair of the Indy's and they fit right on the money for me, in term of width and length. I'm not sure if I should size up by .5 on these wing tip boots or stay the same as the Indy's.
frown.gif

Indy on the left, plaza wingtip on the right. Both same size.
tKfoM.jpg

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Interesting... I don't think I've ever seen a plain toe derby from Alden, only gibsons. But that may be down to my lack of experience with them. Very nice nonetheless.

I would get that last in a multitude of designs if they were available in the US. Looks like a very comfortable last. Tom?...
smile.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MS007
Hey Tom, could you post details on this pair? Those have a fantastic color and a 360 degree welt? I don`t think I`ve seen this model before.

Those were ranger shoes in lolden green soft calf I bought from an Alden dealer here who went out of business 5 years ago. Unlined, flex construction, Tom last.

Originally Posted by saracen
some of those PTBs have a strange last. Very round toe'ish. I actually really like those. Hopefully Alden will release something similar here in the US (in larger sizes).

That's the Military last, another Japan exclusive.

Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
Wow Tom. I hope this will finally get the thread back on track. The cigar Indy's are the cats meow. Love them.

Thanks!

As much hate as sock puppets is receiving, he has been posting some useful info as well. Let's give the guy a break and get back on track in this once epic thread.
fistbump.gif

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

Damn, damn. Thanks for the info. You think there's any chance they'd ever release it here?

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

Dammit indeed. That's one fine looking last.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
frown.gif

If the Indy's are Trubalance or Barrie and they fit perfectly, then you should size up .5 with anything on the Plaza last according to Tom. Plaza is TTS, and the Trubalance and Barrie are .5 large. Width should be the same for all three I believe.

Tom, please weigh in if this is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads