• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athletic Build / Broad Shoulders .....Clothes?

Reaction score
I've been looking for some new V-neck t-shirts or just some t-shirts in general that are more suited for someone with an athletic build. I have pretty broad shoulders and big upper back where Medium is too tight on my arms but Large is doesn't fit my torso (32)

Do you guys have any recommendations on brands or clothiers that make clothes for my build?
I've searched these forums (before posting off course!) and found that some recommendations were Uniqlo (don't have access to them to try on) and H&M (WAY too tight on the arms)

I like the sleeves to be be pretty loose for comfort but the shoulder area to be form fitting.
I know a lot of you guys work out and stay in great shape so what brands do you guys like?!

Thanks!

ghdtpdna

Reaction score
As usual, most americans are too used to wearing shirts that are huge on them. They act like shirts constrict them so much. I was one of those people.
You need to get used to wearing tighter clothes and be more confident about your body image.
9 out of 10 guys I 've talked to claimed to have broad shoulders.

Asherlc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdtpdna
As usual, most americans are too used to wearing shirts that are huge on them. They act like shirts constrict them so much. I was one of those people.
You need to get used to wearing tighter clothes and be more confident about your body image.
9 out of 10 guys I 've talked to claimed to have broad shoulders.

You spend a lot of time talking about shoulder size with your bros?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asherlc
You spend a lot of time talking about shoulder size with your bros?

I believe he does random street interviews regarding shoulder width.

Harry Simonis

Reaction score
Hey man,

I know the issue you are talking about! A lot of my friends who workout a lot really struggle finding shirts that fit. I have only been working out for 2 years now but I also have the issue.

I know you said you don't want to change brands but I have found a brand that designs shirts specifically for the athletic physique. Basically they complement the broad chest/shoulders and taper down to the narrow waist. The brand is called Tailored Athlete, you can find them here - www.bodybuildingclothing.org.

Let me know what you think!

All the best,

Harry

Ztalin

Reaction score

As usual, most americans are too used to wearing shirts that are huge on them. They act like shirts constrict them so much. I was one of those people. You need to get used to wearing tighter clothes and be more confident about your body image. 9 out of 10 guys I 've talked to claimed to have broad shoulders.

It's pretty easy to tell if you have broad shoulders. If you're around average height but the shoulder seams on most size M's are too narrow. This sort of ill fit makes the sleeves shorter and just limits how good your upper body looks.

This is the case for me. 31" waist, 39" chest, and the seams on most size M's are too narrow.

I have found J Crew slim fit to be the best. I haven't tried the long sleeve though. Just short sleeve.

And yeah Zara super slim fit is way too slim. Even their relaxed fit is like a slim fit with no taper.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads