• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Options for first bespoke suit

the goldsmith

Reaction score
I'm 26 and looking to purchase my first bespoke suit. I want a navy, two button, side vent, notch lapel suit. I thought my heart was set on a piece by Thomas Mahon. Then I visited the Alan Flusser custom shop in New York. I loved their clothes. And I like the idea of having my tailor nearby (Mahon is in Cumbria, England).

So, a Flusser suit costs around $4500 and takes around two months to complete. A Mahon costs around $3800 and takes around six months to complete.

Do any of you have experience with either group? Which would you choose?

And here's a wildcard - A friend who owns a men's shop offered me my choice of off the rack Sartorio suit for $1,000 (normally $5,000). I'm torn!

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
What is your budget? What kind of style are you looking for? FYI, Flusser is not a bespoke suit, it is really made to measure (this does not mean its a bad product, but it is nto the same thing. He is a stylist, not a tailor. Mahon would be cutting and fititng your suit. Flusser would not be cutting or tailoring anything himself. There are true bespoke tailors in NYC also, I use Leonard Logsdail. If you give an idea of your budget, may be easier to give recommendations.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Between those two, I would use Mahon.

There are lots of other options, though.

the goldsmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I was under the impression Flusser does offer a true bespoke in addition to MTM, which is an upgraded Southwick suit.

As for my budget... I would spend up to $4,500. I'd prefer to keep it at $4,000.

Yale Cameron

Reaction score
I would definitely go with Mahon over Flusser. I am not sure if any of the NYC tailors do anything for 4k. Logsdail iand fioravanti are well above that, I am not sure about corvato, rafael, nicolosi. In addition to Mahon, you could consider other english traveling tailors. I know that Dege and Henry Poole visit and are in the low 4,000s (poole is 4,200 at current exchange rates). Obviously, they are a different style than Mahon. If you like the A&S style (personally I do not, but many people love it) then Mahon is a good choice, people have seemed happy with him. If you really loved the mahon stuff you have seen and are not in a time crunch, go for it.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try on plenty of suits to get an idea of style and cut and go from there. Does OTR fit you pretty well?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I would try on plenty of suits to get an idea of style and cut and go from there. Does OTR fit you pretty well?

+1 if your going to spend that kind of money this is a great idea. You want to have the best possiable fit so you look just as good in the suit as what you paid for it.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy working with Mahon and very much like his house cut, so would chose him in preference over Flusser. That said, I haven't used Flusser, and can only judge based of what I've seen on the interwebz.

On a side note, I suppose I'm a bit confused as to why your "wild card" would be relevant to this discussion, if at all. If you're considering bespoke, OTR doesn't seem like it should even enter into the equation. If you are considering OTR as a an option, perhaps you shouldn't be considering bespoke in the first place?? I'm not trying to be snobbish or critical, just wondering what you really want?

the goldsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
On a side note, I suppose I'm a bit confused as to why your "wild card" would be relevant to this discussion, if at all. If you're considering bespoke, OTR doesn't seem like it should even enter into the equation. If you are considering OTR as a an option, perhaps you shouldn't be considering bespoke in the first place?? I'm not trying to be snobbish or critical, just wondering what you really want?

I would prefer a bespoke suit. But I'm also interested in getting the best value for my money. I know it's difficult to compare, but I was basically asking if the group thought a high-end Italian OTR suit for $1,000 would offer a better value than a $4,000 bespoke suit.

And OTR fits me relatively well... I am somewhat barrel chested. I've found Ralph Lauren/Brioni/Zegna fit the best.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the goldsmith
I would prefer a bespoke suit. But I'm also interested in getting the best value for my money. I know it's difficult to compare, but I was basically asking if the group thought a high-end Italian OTR suit for $1,000 would offer a better value than a $4,000 bespoke suit.

And OTR fits me relatively well... I am somewhat barrel chested. I've found Ralph Lauren/Brioni/Zegna fit the best.

Your degree of indecision suggests avoiding having custom clothes made up.

Moreover, listing Flusser, Mahon, Ralph Lauren, Brioni and Zegna seems a bit scatter shot to me. At 26, maybe you should wear RTW a bit longer and settle into your preferences first.

- B

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If OTR fits you reasonably well, I'd get three Sartorio suits for $1k each and spend the remaining $1k on tailoring, shirts, shoes and ties.

Twotone

I'm 26 and looking to purchase my first bespoke suit. I want a navy, two button, side vent, notch lapel suit. I thought my heart was set on a piece by Thomas Mahon. Then I visited the Alan Flusser custom shop in New York. I loved their clothes. And I like the idea of having my tailor nearby (Mahon is in Cumbria, England).

So, a Flusser suit costs around $4500 and takes around two months to complete. A Mahon costs around $3800 and takes around six months to complete.

Do any of you have experience with either group? Which would you choose?

And here's a wildcard - A friend who owns a men's shop offered me my choice of off the rack Sartorio suit for $1,000 (normally $5,000). I'm torn!

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
FYI, Flusser is not a bespoke suit, it is really made to measure (this does not mean its a bad product, but it is nto the same thing. He is a stylist, not a tailor.
Not so. Flusser's shop does both full bespoke and made-to-measure. Alan Flusser, as you say, is not a tailor, but I've met the tailor (cutter) in his employ - a very pleasant eastern European fellow who's name escapes me at the moment - and I've chatted with him while he was drawing patterns in Flusser's shop.

I say go with Flusser for several reasons. First, he's local, thus, more convenient. Second, you get the opportunity to build a long-term relationship with his shop if you have many more such suits in mind, all of which can be delivered in a fraction of the time that might otherwise be the case if you work with Mahon. But most importantly, third, it's high time somebody posted pics around here of a fully-bespoke Flusser suit! There seem to be far more opinions about Flusser's work than there are informed opinions ... and while a pic on the foum does not provide enough good information to judge, I would love to hear your take on the process and final product.

I was going to go this route myself this summer but, alas, the finances will not allow it. Having lost 60 pounds since February, I have to replace my entire wardrobe which means there's no room for the big, expensive bespoke suit in the near future ... hence, I must live through you!

the goldsmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Your degree of indecision suggests avoiding having custom clothes made up.

Moreover, listing Flusser, Mahon, Ralph Lauren, Brioni and Zegna seems a bit scatter shot to me. At 26, maybe you should wear RTW a bit longer and settle into your preferences first.

- B

Could be good advice. From my experiernces so far, I prefer suits in the A&S style (soft shoulder, drape). However, I will definitely try on as many styles as possible before making a purchase.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At 26, maybe you should wear RTW a bit longer and settle into your preferences first.

Boooooo!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could be good advice. From my experiernces so far, I prefer suits in the A&S style (soft shoulder, drape). However, I will definitely try on as many styles as possible before making a purchase.

Well, you can't really "try on" bespoke suits. You pick your tailor based on educated guesses and after having established comfort with what bespoke really means. That is to say you should not fool yourself into believing that you will get exactly what you expect, or that you will be able to control the outcome to any significant degree. Rather, you should be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. If that sounds stupid to you, bespoke most likely won't make you happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads